zsh-users
* is the reference card for zsh still 3.0 ?
@ 2000-06-29 11:00 Matthias Kopfermann
From: Matthias Kopfermann @ 2000-06-29 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

I wonder if the reference card for the zsh, which can be very
useful for an overview is updated to include this _massive_
completion system.
In my saved older ZSH-FAQ I read the following in 1.1:
"  There is now a preliminary version of a reference card for
  zsh 3.0, which you can find (while it's being developed) at
    http://www.ifh.de/~pws/computing/refcard.ps
  This is optimised for A4 paper. The LaTeX source is in the
  same place with the extension .tex.  It is not a good place
  from which to learn zsh for the first time."

This seems to have gone away, at least I did not find it in 1.1 any more. I like that card, it helped me alot. It is especially useful if you are information-drunk like I have always been with this new `completion system' :)
(okay , you know about me already :) )

Matthias

* Re: is the reference card for zsh still 3.0 ?
@ 2000-06-29 11:27 ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2000-06-29 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh users list

> I wonder if the reference card for the zsh, which can be very
> useful for an overview is updated to include this _massive_
> completion system.
>
> This seems to have gone away, at least I did not find it in 1.1 any more. I l
> ike that card, it helped me alot. It is especially useful if you are informat
> ion-drunk like I have always been with this new `completion system' :)
> (okay , you know about me already :) )

I haven't updated it because it was a lot of work (mostly doing the
formatting, assembling the info wasn't so hard) and I didn't get a lot of
messages like this one; it's going back a long time now.  This has at least
prompted me to recover it in case the old web site goes; I should move it
to sunsite.auc.dk.

It seems the latest version of LaTeX needs `amsmath' instead of `amstex' as
a package name.  I hate it when people make you use new versions of
software [sheepish grin].

It would be nice to have it updated for 4.0 in good time, but I already have
the userguide to finish.

Calling it a `card' is probably a breach of the Trades Desriptions Act.
It's six pages as it is and it's not going to get any shorter.

--
Peter Stephenson <pws@cambridgesiliconradio.com>
Cambridge Silicon Radio, Unit 300, Science Park, Milton Road,

* Re: is the reference card for zsh still 3.0 ?
       [not found] <no.id>
@ 2000-06-29 11:41 ` Matthias Kopfermann
From: Matthias Kopfermann @ 2000-06-29 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Stephenson; +Cc: Zsh users list

On Thu, Jun 29, 2000 at 12:27:02PM +0100, Peter Stephenson wrote:

> I haven't updated it because it was a lot of work (mostly doing the
> formatting, assembling the info wasn't so hard) and I didn't get a lot of
> messages like this one; it's going back a long time now.  This has at least
> prompted me to recover it in case the old web site goes; I should move it
> to sunsite.auc.dk.
it is at least better than nothing. I took the `mpage -dp'
approach and so was able to reduce the size so it nearly was a
card again. A big one, but what does one expect of a ZSH
reference card ? :)
> Calling it a `card' is probably a breach of the Trades Desriptions Act.
> It's six pages as it is and it's not going to get any shorter.
But consider your marvelous user guide and it's _hundreds_ of pages
when it will be finished. THATS the difference.
When I consider that and the big, big manual pages which have
20878 lines I guess there is no other chance for an overview.
Okay they have lots of "\n" inside.
 `man zshall | col -b | tr -s "\n" | wc -l' gets me : 14576
 (Is there anybody that loves to do tr -s "\n" in this case? :) )

So i guess it remains to be _necessary_ even if it is no guide.

Matthias

--
And in the end the love you take
is equal to the love you make