zsh-users
* Stable?
@ 2000-05-29  8:15 Nemeth Ervin
From: Nemeth Ervin @ 2000-05-29  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hi,

I don't want to look impatient, but when will 3.1 become stable?  3.0 is
getting 4-years old.

Just because most answers in zsh-users contain: "3.1 already has this
feature", "you can do it by ..., but in 3.1 it is more simple: ..." and so on.

--
Ervin

	"Natura unum os et duas aures nobis dedit, quasi admoneret, ut multa
	audiremus et pauca diceremus."

* Re: Stable?
@ 2000-05-29  8:19 ` jarausch
From: jarausch @ 2000-05-29  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: airwin; +Cc: zsh-users

On 29 May, Nemeth Ervin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't want to look impatient, but when will 3.1 become stable?  3.0 is
> getting 4-years old.
>
> Just because most answers in zsh-users contain: "3.1 already has this
> feature", "you can do it by ..., but in 3.1 it is more simple: ..." and so on.

Oh, it's super stable. We are using 3.1.6 since ages and
I haven't had any problems with the later 3.1.7 cvs version.
Official 3.1.7 is coming really soon (I think) but for me
the current 3.1.7 cvs version are very good and stable.

--
Helmut Jarausch
Lehrstuhl fuer Numerische Mathematik

* Re: Stable?
@ 2000-05-29  8:51   ` Nemeth Ervin
From: Nemeth Ervin @ 2000-05-29  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jarausch; +Cc: zsh-users

[...]

> Oh, it's super stable. We are using 3.1.6 since ages and
> I haven't had any problems with the later 3.1.7 cvs version.
> Official 3.1.7 is coming really soon (I think) but for me
> the current 3.1.7 cvs version are very good and stable.

I see.  With all respects -- why is it marked beta?

--

@ 2000-05-29  8:58     ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2000-05-29  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nemeth Ervin; +Cc: zsh-users

On May 29, 10:51am, Nemeth Ervin wrote:
} Subject: Re: Stable?
}
} >>>>> jarausch  writes:
}
} > Oh, it's super stable. We are using 3.1.6 since ages and
}
} I see.  With all respects -- why is it marked beta?

Because it's changing so fast.

* Re: Stable?
@ 2000-05-29 16:21       ` James Kirkpatrick
From: James Kirkpatrick @ 2000-05-29 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

OK, I'll play "straight man" in this exchange.

If it's changing so fast, how can it be called stable :-)

Perhaps one needs to distinguish between "stable" and
"production-quality".  If the changes are bug fixes then I'd not call it
production-ready.  If the changes are additional new features, or the bugs
are extremely obscure, then I might.

Jim

On Mon, 29 May 2000, Bart Schaefer wrote:

> On May 29, 10:51am, Nemeth Ervin wrote:
> } Subject: Re: Stable?
> }
> } >>>>> jarausch  writes:
> }
> } > Oh, it's super stable. We are using 3.1.6 since ages and
> }
> } I see.  With all respects -- why is it marked beta?
>
> Because it's changing so fast.
>
> --
> Bart Schaefer                                 Brass Lantern Enterprises
> http://www.well.com/user/barts              http://www.brasslantern.com
>
> Zsh: http://www.zsh.org | PHPerl Project: http://phperl.sourceforge.net

* Re: Stable?
@ 2000-05-29 18:01         ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2000-05-29 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On May 29, 10:21am, James Kirkpatrick wrote:
}
} OK, I'll play "straight man" in this exchange.
}
} If it's changing so fast, how can it be called stable :-)

It doesn't crash or behave in a destructive manner, i.e., a particular
installation can be stable if you're not trying to follow every little
change via the CVS server on sourceforge.net.

} Perhaps one needs to distinguish between "stable" and
} "production-quality".  If the changes are bug fixes then I'd not call it
} production-ready.  If the changes are additional new features, or the bugs
} are extremely obscure, then I might.

Most of the bugs are obscure.  Occasionally one becomes less obscure in
the course of attempting to fix the obscure ones.  But new features are
still being added, too, which means still more obscure bugs.

* Re: Stable?
@ 2000-05-30  6:50           ` Nemeth Ervin
From: Nemeth Ervin @ 2000-05-30  6:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Schaefer; +Cc: zsh-users

> On May 29, 10:21am, James Kirkpatrick wrote:
> } Subject: Re: Stable?
> }
> } OK, I'll play "straight man" in this exchange.
> }
> } If it's changing so fast, how can it be called stable :-)

> It doesn't crash or behave in a destructive manner, i.e., a particular
> installation can be stable if you're not trying to follow every little
> change via the CVS server on sourceforge.net.

> } Perhaps one needs to distinguish between "stable" and
> } "production-quality".  If the changes are bug fixes then I'd not call it
> } production-ready.  If the changes are additional new features, or the bugs
> } are extremely obscure, then I might.

> Most of the bugs are obscure.  Occasionally one becomes less obscure in
> the course of attempting to fix the obscure ones.  But new features are
> still being added, too, which means still more obscure bugs.

So far I've learned that zsh-3.1 is very stable, contains a dosen of new
features and deveoped since a couple of years.

May I suggest closing the 3.0 series declaring it "obsolote" -- no more
bugfixes in it, and "freezing" the 3.1 series to a distibutable package --
probably with versioning 3.2.*.

It would have the advantage that the "development" and "stable" series would
have a smaller Eucledian distance, facilitating the patching of both versions.

I'm only a humble user so I haven't got any word here.  It's up to you, dear
developers.

Thank you for listening.

--

@ 2000-05-30  7:24             ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2000-05-30  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nemeth Ervin; +Cc: zsh-users

On May 30,  8:50am, Nemeth Ervin wrote:
}
} May I suggest closing the 3.0 series declaring it "obsolote" -- no more
} bugfixes in it, and "freezing" the 3.1 series to a distibutable package --
} probably with versioning 3.2.*.

The 3.0 series will become obsolete when 4.0 is released.

The 3.1.7 release is intended to be the last before 4.0.

Hence the about-to-be 3.0.8 should be the last in the 3.0 line.  We thought
3.0.6 was going to be the last, but too much new stuff got added to 3.1.6
to call 3.1 production just yet.