zsh-users
* compinit quirk
@ 2001-04-06  5:22 Scott Smedley
From: Scott Smedley @ 2001-04-06  5:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

I am trying to set up the command-line completion system for
a co-worker (julian) when zsh is installed into my (scott) $HOME
& have come across a 'quirk'.

- All installed files are, obviously, owned by scott, but
  are still readable by julian.
- julian's fpath correctly points to the 'functions' &
  'site-functions' directory under scott's $HOME.
- Executing a 'compinit -i' as julian, I've found that
  compinit doesn't autoload much (anything?)
- I copied the contents of the 'functions' directory
  into ~julian/functions & added that directory to the
  fpath.
- 'compinit -i' now does as I expect.

This suggests to mE that either:
a) I've stuffed something up, or
b) there is a 'quirk' in compinit that means it will not
   autoload functions when they are not installed as
   root or $USER.

wombat:trix>> echo $ZSH_VERSION
4.0.1-pre-2
wombat:trix>> uname -a
IRIX64 wombat 6.5 07201607 IP27
wombat:trix>>

I've been a zsh-convert for over 2 years now. I'd just like to say
THANKS to those on this list that have contributed to zsh & made my life
SOOOOO much easier!

SCoTT! :)
smedley@adacel.com.au

* RE: compinit quirk
@ 2001-04-06  5:40 ` Andrej Borsenkow
From: Andrej Borsenkow @ 2001-04-06  5:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Smedley, zsh-users

> - All installed files are, obviously, owned by scott, but
>   are still readable by julian.
> - julian's fpath correctly points to the 'functions' &
>   'site-functions' directory under scott's $HOME.
> - Executing a 'compinit -i' as julian, I've found that
>   compinit doesn't autoload much (anything?)

What happens without -i, just plain

autoload -U compinit; compinit

??

-andrej

* Re: compinit quirk
@ 2001-04-06  6:17   ` Scott Smedley
From: Scott Smedley @ 2001-04-06  6:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrej Borsenkow; +Cc: Scott Smedley, zsh-users

> What happens without -i, just plain
> autoload -U compinit; compinit

The '-i' option just silently suppresses the following:

There are insecure directories and files, use them anyway [ny]? y

Regardless of whether I answer y or n, it will not load the
completion system.

SCoTT! :)
smedley@adacel.com.au

* Re: compinit quirk
@ 2001-04-06  6:28     ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2001-04-06  6:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Smedley; +Cc: zsh-users

On Apr 6,  4:17pm, Scott Smedley wrote:
} Subject: Re: compinit quirk
}
} The '-i' option just silently suppresses the following:
}
} There are insecure directories and files, use them anyway [ny]? y
}
} Regardless of whether I answer y or n, it will not load the
} completion system.

That was a bug; it's been fixed in the development versions for quite
some while now.  I was going to recommend installing 4.0.1-pre-2, but
I can't find a tarball of that anywhere, so you'd have to get it with
CVS from cvs.zsh.sourceforge.net.

* Re: compinit quirk
@ 2001-04-06  6:50       ` Scott Smedley
From: Scott Smedley @ 2001-04-06  6:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

> That was a bug; it's been fixed in the development versions for quite
> some while now.  I was going to recommend installing 4.0.1-pre-2, but
> I can't find a tarball of that anywhere, so you'd have to get it with
> CVS from cvs.zsh.sourceforge.net.

I'm confused. As indicated, I'm using 4.0.1-pre-2.

SCoTT
smedley@adacel.com.au

* Re: compinit quirk
@ 2001-04-06  7:50         ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2001-04-06  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Smedley, zsh-users

On Apr 6,  4:50pm, Scott Smedley wrote:
}
} > That was a bug; it's been fixed in the development versions for quite
} > some while now.  I was going to recommend installing 4.0.1-pre-2, but
} > I can't find a tarball of that anywhere, so you'd have to get it with
} > CVS from cvs.zsh.sourceforge.net.
}
} I'm confused. As indicated, I'm using 4.0.1-pre-2.

Oops, I didn't read your original message closely, only Andrej's response.

Now I'm confused, too.  This was supposedly fixed by zsh-workers/12033,
according to the conversation in zsh-workers/12368, but apparently it
wasn't (or at least not in the way I thought).

* Re: compinit quirk
@ 2001-04-06  8:29           ` Sven Wischnowsky
From: Sven Wischnowsky @ 2001-04-06  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Bart Schaefer wrote:

> Oops, I didn't read your original message closely, only Andrej's response.
>
> Now I'm confused, too.  This was supposedly fixed by zsh-workers/12033,
> according to the conversation in zsh-workers/12368, but apparently it
> wasn't (or at least not in the way I thought).

Quoting the docs:

  For security reasons tt(compinit) also checks if the completion system
  would use files not owned by root or by the current user, or files in
  directories that are world- or group-writable or that are not owned by
  root or by the current user.  If such files or directories are found,
  tt(compinit) will ask if the completion system should really be used.  To
  avoid these tests and make all files found be used without asking, use the
  option tt(-u), and to make tt(compinit) silently ignore all insecure files
  and directories use the option tt(-i).  This security check is skipped
  entirely when the tt(-C) option is given.

And both of `compinit -i' and `compinit -u' work for me as described.

Bye
  Sven