zsh-users
* architecture independent wordcode files (.zwc)
@ 2001-05-12 20:09 Paul Lew
From: Paul Lew @ 2001-05-12 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Problem:

    We are using 4.0.1-pre-4 on solaris 2.6 and redhat 6.5 with a
    common user home directory.  Right now we have .zshenv compiled
    into .zshenv.zwc and .zshrc compiled into .zshrc.zwc on the
    solaris machine.  However, this does not work for the Linux.  I
    got zsh cored when reading the .zwc file for the wrong
    architecture.

Question:

    The emacs .elc files works on different endian machines.  Any plan
    to do the same with .zwc files?

    If not, what's your recommendation in my case?  I can simply
    remove all the .zwc files which is not desirable.  Or I can set
    ZDOTDIR from /etc/zshenv and have 2 sets of .zwc files, yuck!

Thanks in advance.

* Re: architecture independent wordcode files (.zwc)
@ 2001-05-13  0:43 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2001-05-13  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Lew, zsh-users

On May 12,  1:09pm, Paul Lew wrote:
} Subject: architecture independent wordcode files (.zwc)
}
}     Right now we have .zshenv compiled into .zshenv.zwc and .zshrc
}     compiled into .zshrc.zwc on the solaris machine. However, this
}     does not work for the Linux. I got zsh cored when reading the .zwc
}     file for the wrong architecture.
}
}     The emacs .elc files works on different endian machines. Any plan
}     to do the same with .zwc files?

It's supposed to work -- the zcompile doc says:

              The created file always contains  two  versions  of
              the  compiled  format,  one for big-endian machines
              and one for small-endian machines.  The  upshot  of
              this  is that the compiled file is machine indepen-
              dent and if it is read or mapped, only one half  of
              the file is actually used (and mapped).

If possible, please send a stack trace from your core dump to zsh-workers.
Thanks.