zsh-users
* Re: Ex-bash script for optimisation
@ 2005-03-10 18:42 Meino Christian Cramer
From: Meino Christian Cramer @ 2005-03-10 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hi,

 I checked the zshall manpage, but I fear to have overlocked the
 specific line which explains, for what I am using for.

 I want to limit the expand function (that one called when pressing
 TAB after entering for example "cd") to file of the current working
 directory or in other words I want to switch off the global search for
 expansion possibilities...

 How can I achieve this?

 Thank you very much for any help and hints in advance ! :)
 Keep zsh'ing! ;)
 Meino

* Re: Ex-bash script for optimisation
@ 2005-03-11  5:14 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2005-03-11  5:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Mar 10,  7:42pm, Meino Christian Cramer wrote:
} Subject: Re: Ex-bash script for optimisation

Please start a new message with a new subject if you're asking a new
question, rather than replying to an unrelated discussion re-using a
misleading subject.  Thank you.

}  I want to limit the expand function (that one called when pressing
}  TAB after entering for example "cd")

It's important to know whether you really mean "expansion" or whether
(as I suspect) you're asking about "completion".

"Expansion" means you have something like a glob pattern, for example
a*e, and you want the shell to replace it with file names that match
the pattern, for example ankle apple argue.  In general, expansion is
not context-sensitive.

"Completion" means you've typed part of a word -- usually a prefix --
and you want the shell to supply the rest of the word in a way that
fits the context where the word appears.  For example, directory names
in the arguments of cd.

}  to file of the current working directory or in other words I want to
}  switch off the global search for expansion possibilities...

This question is a bit mystifying because there normally is no "global
search."  One possibility is that you need to "unset cdpath", but it
would help if you explained more about (1) whether you use "compinit"
to set up completion or are using the built-in defaults, and (2) what
happens when you press TAB that makes you think a "global" search is
being done.

* TAB-expansion problems
@ 2005-03-11 18:37   ` Meino Christian Cramer
From: Meino Christian Cramer @ 2005-03-11 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: schaefer; +Cc: zsh-users

From: Bart Schaefer <schaefer@brasslantern.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 05:14:17 +0000

Hi,

> On Mar 10,  7:42pm, Meino Christian Cramer wrote:
> } Subject: Re: Ex-bash script for optimisation
>
> Please start a new message with a new subject if you're asking a new
> question, rather than replying to an unrelated discussion re-using a
> misleading subject.  Thank you.

  Oh, damn! Sorry...my fault...

> }  I want to limit the expand function (that one called when pressing
> }  TAB after entering for example "cd")
>
> It's important to know whether you really mean "expansion" or whether
> (as I suspect) you're asking about "completion".

  As a zsh-newbie I better describe what happens and what I want to
  switch off.

  Suppose I am at my $HOME/tmp/. directory. Furthermore there is only
  ONE additional directory called "TheLonelyOne" there. And I want to
  to change into that directory. As a lazy person now I would type on
  the commandline

	  cd <TAB>

  and want to get

      cd TheLonelyOne

  then instead all worldwide reachable directories as a suggestion.

  From my current point of knowledge I didn't neither know the correct
  naming for that behaviour (otherwise I may have already found the
  solution in the docs...) nor whether there are similiar conditions
  with possible other commands, which lead to such "I suggest you now
  everything worldwide possible"-behaviour of zsh (this by far no
  complainment against zsh or any critism !!! :)

  Or with lesser words: If I would have a name of my problem I may not
  have that problem anymore... ;)

  My compinit-related stuff (as far as I am able to identfy it...) is:
  (from $HOME/.zshrc)

    # Search path for the cd command
    cdpath=(.. ~ ~/src ~/zsh)

    setopt   notify globdots nocorrect pushdtohome cdablevars autolist
    setopt   autocd recexact longlistjobs
    setopt   autoresume histignoredups pushdsilent noclobber
    setopt   autopushd pushdminus extendedglob rcquotes mailwarning
    unsetopt bgnice autoparamslash
    setopt   nobeep multios monitor

    ### completion stuff
    zstyle ':completion:*' verbose yes
    zstyle ':completion:*:descriptions' format '%B%d%b'
    zstyle ':completion:*:messages' format '%d'
    zstyle ':completion:*:warnings' format 'No matches for: %d'
    zstyle ':completion:*' group-name ''

    # ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    xhost local:root 2>&1 > /dev/null
    # The following lines were added by compinstall

    zstyle :compinstall filename '/home/mccramer/.zshrc'

    autoload -Uz compinit
    compinit
    # End of lines added by compinstall

> "Expansion" means you have something like a glob pattern, for example
> a*e, and you want the shell to replace it with file names that match
> the pattern, for example ankle apple argue.  In general, expansion is
> not context-sensitive.
>
> "Completion" means you've typed part of a word -- usually a prefix --
> and you want the shell to supply the rest of the word in a way that
> fits the context where the word appears.  For example, directory names
> in the arguments of cd.
>
> }  to file of the current working directory or in other words I want to
> }  switch off the global search for expansion possibilities...
>
> This question is a bit mystifying because there normally is no "global
> search."  One possibility is that you need to "unset cdpath", but it
> would help if you explained more about (1) whether you use "compinit"
> to set up completion or are using the built-in defaults, and (2) what
> happens when you press TAB that makes you think a "global" search is
> being done.

* Re: TAB-expansion problems
@ 2005-03-12  9:15     ` Tim Kruse
From: Tim Kruse @ 2005-03-12  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users; +Cc: zsh-workers

* On 11.03.2005 Meino Christian Cramer wrote:

>   Suppose I am at my $HOME/tmp/. directory. Furthermore there is only
>   ONE additional directory called "TheLonelyOne" there. And I want to
>   to change into that directory. As a lazy person now I would type on
>   the commandline
>
> 	  cd <TAB>
>
>   and want to get
>
>       cd TheLonelyOne
>
>   then instead all worldwide reachable directories as a suggestion.

 Oh, I think you don't get 'all worldwide reachable' dirs. It
depends on the cdpath entry in your .zshrc:

>     # Search path for the cd command
>     cdpath=(.. ~ ~/src ~/zsh)

 The completion system looks in all here mentioned path's for
dirs to complete.

 So long,
tkr

PS: I'm new to this group and posting through gmane.org. So if
    the Reply-To header is wrong I'll don't set it in further
    postings.

PPS: English is not my native language - so apologize any
     mistakes :-)

--
 Leela: I'm sorry, but if it's fun in any way it's not environmentalism.
 Paul: Oh, really? How about blowing up dams?

* Re: TAB-expansion problems
@ 2005-03-13  4:50     ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2005-03-13  4:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Mar 11,  7:37pm, Meino Christian Cramer wrote:
}
}   Suppose I am at my $HOME/tmp/. directory. Furthermore there is only
}   ONE additional directory called "TheLonelyOne" there. And I want to
}   to change into that directory. As a lazy person now I would type on
}   the commandline
}
} 	  cd <TAB>
}
}   and want to get
}
}       cd TheLonelyOne
}
}   then instead all worldwide reachable directories as a suggestion.

As Tim Kruse has said, the likelyhood here is that zsh is suggesting
subdirectories of the directories listed in your cdpath.  If you add
the following style you'll get better information:

zstyle ':completion:*' format '%SCompleting %U%d%u%s'

After you've tried that, so you've seen what's going on, you can then
add this style:

zstyle :completion::complete:cd:: tag-order \
	local-directories path-directories

The tag-order style controls which sets of matches are displayed.  In
the example above, local-directories are preferred, and only when no
local directories are found are path-directories (those found along
your cdpath) shown.  The default is to display all sets of matches at
the same time.

}   From my current point of knowledge I didn't neither know the correct
}   naming for that behaviour

It's "completion".

* Re: TAB-expansion problems
@ 2005-03-13  8:54       ` Meino Christian Cramer
From: Meino Christian Cramer @ 2005-03-13  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: schaefer; +Cc: zsh-users

From: Bart Schaefer <schaefer@brasslantern.com>
Subject: Re: TAB-expansion problems
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 04:50:36 +0000

Hi Bart, hi list members!

 :)

 I see, I have to learn A LOT more about zsh!

 Ok, I "killed" cdpath and now my <TAB> does not report "everything
 ever seen" anymore.

 I included the first zstyle in my .$HOME/zshrc and got after entering

		cd <TAB>

 the additonal information, saying:

	    Completing local directory

 which is exactly what I want to have (currently, for the first... ;)

 An addtional I have:

 Suppose your are here:

		 $HOME/ThisDir/AnotherDir

 and in ./AnotherDir there is another dir called "WhereIWantToBe"

 Now I enter

	 cd <TAB>

 Does zsh think that there is no match since I didn't enter

     cd Whe<TAB>

 thus preferring to show me possibilities for completions from the
 path-directories OR does zsh "see" the one and only directoy
 "WhereIWantToBe" and gives me

	 cd WhereIWantToBe

 right after hitting <TAB>?

 Thanks a lot for all the friendly help !

 Keep hacking!
 Meino

> On Mar 11,  7:37pm, Meino Christian Cramer wrote:
> }
> }   Suppose I am at my $HOME/tmp/. directory. Furthermore there is only
> }   ONE additional directory called "TheLonelyOne" there. And I want to
> }   to change into that directory. As a lazy person now I would type on
> }   the commandline
> }
> } 	  cd <TAB>
> }
> }   and want to get
> }
> }       cd TheLonelyOne
> }
> }   then instead all worldwide reachable directories as a suggestion.
>
> As Tim Kruse has said, the likelyhood here is that zsh is suggesting
> subdirectories of the directories listed in your cdpath.  If you add
> the following style you'll get better information:
>
> zstyle ':completion:*' format '%SCompleting %U%d%u%s'
>
> After you've tried that, so you've seen what's going on, you can then
> add this style:
>
> zstyle :completion::complete:cd:: tag-order \
> 	local-directories path-directories
>
> The tag-order style controls which sets of matches are displayed.  In
> the example above, local-directories are preferred, and only when no
> local directories are found are path-directories (those found along
> your cdpath) shown.  The default is to display all sets of matches at
> the same time.
>
> }   From my current point of knowledge I didn't neither know the correct
> }   naming for that behaviour
>
> It's "completion".

* Re: TAB-expansion problems
@ 2005-03-13 17:21         ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2005-03-13 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Mar 13,  9:54am, Meino Christian Cramer wrote:
}
}  Ok, I "killed" cdpath and now my <TAB> does not report "everything
}  ever seen" anymore.

The tag-order style that I suggested would achieve this without having
to kill cdpath, just in case you find cdpath useful in other cases.

}  Suppose your are here:
}
} 		 $HOME/ThisDir/AnotherDir
}
}  and in ./AnotherDir there is another dir called "WhereIWantToBe"
}
}  [...] does zsh "see" the one and only directoy
}  "WhereIWantToBe" and gives me
}
} 	 cd WhereIWantToBe
}
}  right after hitting <TAB>?

Yes.

* ESC-Question
@ 2005-03-14  4:37           ` Meino Christian Cramer
From: Meino Christian Cramer @ 2005-03-14  4:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hi,

 again a beginner's question:  ;)

 From bash I am used to hit ESC when a completion will fit my needs
 (and still others are possible from the point of view of the shell)
 and wnat to take it (while the cursor is in the middle of the
 suggested word).

 This seems not to work with zsh and my current configuration. My
 workaround currently is to use CTRL-E (cursor to end of line -- I am
 using the Emacs kbd-settings)).

 Is there a way to emulate this ESC-behaviour without removing other
 features...

 And another question:

 Suppose I am builing up a short """""script""""" on the commandline:
 A simple loop over filenames for example.

 After first run of the script I want to add another line to that
 script.

 Scrolling back in history gives me the whole script nicely printed in
 several lines (NOT on a loooooong one-liner! What a nice zshish
 feature!).

 With EMACS-related keys I easily can step through the lines...BUT how
 can I open a NEW line? My workaround is a way really hurtung an
 EMACS-freak like me (at this point of the text of my mail there is a
 BIG HUGH SMILEY!):

 I hit ALT-x (execute) and enter the command

   vi-open-line-above (...-below)

 because the simple <RETURN> at the and of the line will execute the
 script again....

 Is there a Emacs-keybinding or Emacs-related command to open a line ?

 Thank you very much for any help in advance !

 Keep zshing!
 Meino

* Re: ESC-Question
@ 2005-03-14  7:44             ` Philippe Troin
From: Philippe Troin @ 2005-03-14  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Meino Christian Cramer; +Cc: zsh-users

Meino Christian Cramer <Meino.Cramer@gmx.de> writes:

>  Suppose I am builing up a short """""script""""" on the commandline:
>  A simple loop over filenames for example.
>
>  After first run of the script I want to add another line to that
>  script.
>
>  Scrolling back in history gives me the whole script nicely printed in
>  several lines (NOT on a loooooong one-liner! What a nice zshish
>  feature!).
>
>  With EMACS-related keys I easily can step through the lines...BUT how
>  can I open a NEW line? My workaround is a way really hurtung an
>  EMACS-freak like me (at this point of the text of my mail there is a
>  BIG HUGH SMILEY!):
>
>  I hit ALT-x (execute) and enter the command
>
>    vi-open-line-above (...-below)
>
>  because the simple <RETURN> at the and of the line will execute the
>  script again....
>
>  Is there a Emacs-keybinding or Emacs-related command to open a line ?

  C-v C-j

Or substitute whichever character is your tty's lnext char (as can
been seen from stty -a).

Alternately, M-Enter always creates a new line without submitting the
input for processing.

Phil.

* Re: ESC-Question
@ 2005-03-14 10:01             ` Sami Samhuri
From: Sami Samhuri @ 2005-03-14 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

* On Mon Mar-14-2005 at 05:37:46 AM +0100, Meino Christian Cramer said:
> Hi,
[...]
>  I hit ALT-x (execute) and enter the command
>
>    vi-open-line-above (...-below)
>
>  because the simple <RETURN> at the and of the line will execute the
>  script again....
>
>  Is there a Emacs-keybinding or Emacs-related command to open a line ?

Not as visually appealing, but you can separate commands using the
semi-colon. So when you hit C-p and want to add another command just
type a ; first and then continue with the next command.

Another way to do it is using zsh's history expansion[1].
!! recalls the previous command so you can type:

    % !! ; <next command line to execute>

I know this is not what you asked for, but I hope this helps a bit.

[1] I don't want to rant because I'm really fond of history expn, but
you should look into them further at:
http://zsh.sunsite.dk/Doc/Release/zsh_13.html#SEC48

--
Sami Samhuri

* Re: ESC-Question
@ 2005-03-14 16:58               ` Meino Christian Cramer
From: Meino Christian Cramer @ 2005-03-14 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: phil; +Cc: zsh-users

From: Philippe Troin <phil@fifi.org>
Subject: Re: ESC-Question
Date: 13 Mar 2005 23:44:56 -0800

Hi Phil !

 Thanks a lot for the hint...gives me a whole lotta more of space (new
 lines) for nice zshish code ! :)

 Sometimes (often!) just the simple things are makeing life so much
 easier ! ;O)))))))

 Keep zshing!
 Meino

 PS: Just cause I am a little curious... :)
     Under Emacs each keycode is bound to a named function like
	 forward-search-regexp and such...what is the corresponding
	 function in zsh? insert-line ? Or what is its name ?

> Meino Christian Cramer <Meino.Cramer@gmx.de> writes:
>
> >  Suppose I am builing up a short """""script""""" on the commandline:
> >  A simple loop over filenames for example.
> >
> >  After first run of the script I want to add another line to that
> >  script.
> >
> >  Scrolling back in history gives me the whole script nicely printed in
> >  several lines (NOT on a loooooong one-liner! What a nice zshish
> >  feature!).
> >
> >  With EMACS-related keys I easily can step through the lines...BUT how
> >  can I open a NEW line? My workaround is a way really hurtung an
> >  EMACS-freak like me (at this point of the text of my mail there is a
> >  BIG HUGH SMILEY!):
> >
> >  I hit ALT-x (execute) and enter the command
> >
> >    vi-open-line-above (...-below)
> >
> >  because the simple <RETURN> at the and of the line will execute the
> >  script again....
> >
> >  Is there a Emacs-keybinding or Emacs-related command to open a line ?
>
>   C-v C-j
>
> Or substitute whichever character is your tty's lnext char (as can
> been seen from stty -a).
>
> Alternately, M-Enter always creates a new line without submitting the
> input for processing.
>
> Phil.

* Re: ESC-Question
@ 2005-03-14 17:09                 ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2005-03-14 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Meino Christian Cramer wrote:
>  PS: Just cause I am a little curious... :)
>      Under Emacs each keycode is bound to a named function like
> 	 forward-search-regexp and such...what is the corresponding
> 	 function in zsh? insert-line ? Or what is its name ?

Reading the zshzle manual page should help, particularly the entry for
"bindkey".  To find out the mapping between keys and commands, run
"bindkey", or "bindkey -L" to see it in the form that can be used to
restore each binding in future.

the system manager.

* Re: ESC-Question
@ 2005-03-14 17:22                   ` Meino Christian Cramer
From: Meino Christian Cramer @ 2005-03-14 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pws; +Cc: zsh-users

From: Peter Stephenson <pws@csr.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 17:09:55 +0000

Hi,

 Oh...uuuhhh....I think I need a brain-update...  :)

 I thought ZLE was somehow obsoleted or outdated and was replaced by
 something """internal""" or did I get something wrong or confused
 here ?

 Or was it the completion system...oh damn...I think less coffee and
 more sleep would be a good idea...though times currently...sorry.

 Ok, a good hint...I will inhale the ZLE related manual!

 Thanks a lot for all your patience ! If I have finished my move
 straight through germany to my new working place and new home I hope
 I will be able to ask more reasonable questions ;) :O)

 Keep zshing!
 Meino

> Meino Christian Cramer wrote:
> >  PS: Just cause I am a little curious... :)
> >      Under Emacs each keycode is bound to a named function like
> > 	 forward-search-regexp and such...what is the corresponding
> > 	 function in zsh? insert-line ? Or what is its name ?
>
> Reading the zshzle manual page should help, particularly the entry for
> "bindkey".  To find out the mapping between keys and commands, run
> "bindkey", or "bindkey -L" to see it in the form that can be used to
> restore each binding in future.
>
> --
> Peter Stephenson <pws@csr.com>                  Software Engineer
> CSR PLC, Churchill House, Cambridge Business Park, Cowley Road
> Cambridge, CB4 0WZ, UK                          Tel: +44 (0)1223 692070

> the system manager.

* Re: ESC-Question
@ 2005-03-14 18:18                   ` Philippe Troin
From: Philippe Troin @ 2005-03-14 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Peter Stephenson <pws@csr.com> writes:

> Meino Christian Cramer wrote:
> >  PS: Just cause I am a little curious... :)
> >      Under Emacs each keycode is bound to a named function like
> > 	 forward-search-regexp and such...what is the corresponding
> > 	 function in zsh? insert-line ? Or what is its name ?
>
> Reading the zshzle manual page should help, particularly the entry for
> "bindkey".  To find out the mapping between keys and commands, run
> "bindkey", or "bindkey -L" to see it in the form that can be used to
> restore each binding in future.

Or M-x describe-key-briefly <ENTER> <keypress>.

The reverse: M-x where-is <ENTER> <widget name> <ENTER>
                                    ^--- <TAB> autocompletes

Phil.