zsh-users
* "nice"ing processes
@ 1997-01-15 15:36 Timothy J Luoma
From: Timothy J Luoma @ 1997-01-15 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

say I want to run a CPU intensive program (like gzip on a large
file) and want to do so with the least amount of impact
(cpu/whatnot).

What should I do?  Running it in the background doesn't seem to
make that much of a difference.

TjL

--
Tj Luoma (luomat@peak.org) / http://www.next.peak.org/~luomat
Unix regular expression: (.*[^-a-zA-Z0-9_.])?)

* Re: "nice"ing processes
@ 1997-01-15 16:58 ` Zefram
From: Zefram @ 1997-01-15 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: luomat; +Cc: zsh-users

Timothy J Luoma wrote:
>say I want to run a CPU intensive program (like gzip on a large
>file) and want to do so with the least amount of impact
>(cpu/whatnot).
>
>What should I do?

nice it.  With nice(1).

example% nice gzip large_file &

>                   Running it in the background doesn't seem to
>make that much of a difference.

If you have the BG_NICE option set, jobs started in the background will
be niced automatically.

-zefram