From: Peter Stephenson <p.w.stephenson@ntlworld.com>
To: "Bart Schaefer" <schaefer@brasslantern.com>,
	"Jörg Sommer" <joerg@jo-so.de>
Cc: Zsh Users <zsh-users@zsh.org>
Subject: Re: Zsh spins in endless loop with SIGHUP + read in zshexit
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 17:07:10 +0100 (BST)	[thread overview]

> On 13 May 2021 at 16:54 Bart Schaefer <schaefer@brasslantern.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 3:18 AM Jörg Sommer <joerg@jo-so.de> wrote:
> >
> > I'm using `read` in `zshexit` and when my terminal crashes (e.g. XTerm gets
> > killed or ssh connection dies) Zsh spins in an endless loop until I kill it
> > with SIGKILL (SIGTERM doesn't work).
> > [...]
> >
> > So, if `raw_getbyte` returns `0` `zexit` gets called again. I think this
> > causes the loop.
>
> Yep.  zexit() is a no-op there because it doesn't allow itself to
> execute recursively.
>
> There might be other places where similar loops can be triggered.  I
> see just now PWS has also produced a different patch, which requires
> that zexit() return a value; I have no opinion on whether that's
> actually preferable.

I think the only possible issue with just a break would be if we didn't
want to return immediately.  But I don't think that's an issue here:
zexit() can't do it's "ooh! you've got jobs" because it's way too late,
and the repeat over multiple ^D's is handled down here in ZLE anyway,
so it's in a position to know that's no-go as well.  So don't see why
your simple patch shouldn't work.

pws