zsh-users
* 2 questions
@ 1995-10-31 16:13 Jose Unpingco
From: Jose Unpingco @ 1995-10-31 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

1.) is it possible to assign standard output and/or standard error
from a job to a device after it has been put in the background.

  For example,
    % find . -name '*mat' -print &
  then do something like
    % %1 > /dev/null

2.) why is it that when I do history -f, I get dates and times that refer to
the latest login and not to the date and time of command execution in the
history.

For example,

  105  10/21/1995 09:44  cd News <--- this command was run 10/20 not 10/21
  106  10/21/1995 09:44  mail -f z <-- this is correct

thanks.

* Re: 2 questions
@ 1995-11-01  8:46 ` P.Stephenson
From: P.Stephenson @ 1995-11-01  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh users list

unpingco@ece.ucsd.edu wrote:
> 1.) is it possible to assign standard output and/or standard error
> from a job to a device after it has been put in the background.
>
>   For example,
>     % find . -name '*mat' -print &
>   then do something like
>     % %1 > /dev/null

There's no simple way of doing it, since that would require another
process to intercept the input and redirect it.  That could only
happen if the target of the output is smart.  In this case, it's just
the terminal, which is completely unable to distinguish where the
output is coming from.

Here's one possible way.  The following script, 'transout', reads
lines from stdin and writes them to stdout by default.  When you
create a file called "newout", it reads a new file name from that and
starts writing to that instead:

#!/bin/sh
while read line; do
  if [ -f newout ]; then
    exec >`cat newout`
    rm -f newout
  fi
  echo $line
done

Now do what you want, with '| transout' stuck on the end:

% find . -name '*mat' -print | transout &

Output now comes to stdout.  If you do

% echo /dev/null >newout

then output will go to /dev/null instead.  You can make this more
sophisticated, obviously.

> 2.) why is it that when I do history -f, I get dates and times that refer to
> the latest login and not to the date and time of command execution in the
> history.
>
> For example,
>
>   105  10/21/1995 09:44  cd News <--- this command was run 10/20 not 10/21
>   106  10/21/1995 09:44  mail -f z <-- this is correct

Probably this is due to the problem with some versions of atol() which
don't like the : following the history date and won't convert the
number.  This may have been fixed by now.

--
Peter Stephenson <pws@ifh.de>       Tel: +49 33762 77366
WWW:  http://www.ifh.de/~pws/       Fax: +49 33762 77330

* Re: 2 questions
@ 2000-04-19 14:25 Sven Wischnowsky
From: Sven Wischnowsky @ 2000-04-19 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Jason Price wrote:

> This is not exactly what I want.  I'd rather have menu complete when it's
> non unique, defaulting to the first option, and allowing tab'ing or
> arrowing through the list.  New completion setup is as follows:

> zstyle ':completion:*' menu select=200

Apart from what Oliver already said...

If you want tabbing through the matches you can either `setopt menucomplete'
or use

  zstyle ':completion:*' menu yes

if you want arrowing, use:

  zstyle ':completion:*' menu yes select

Using `select=200' is a bit weird, giving you selection only for
rather longish lists -- and exactly that combination doesn't work in
dev-22 (if the list doesn't fit on the screen). The CVS has some new
code for that.

Bye
 Sven

* Re: 2 questions
@ 2000-04-18 20:52 ` Oliver Kiddle
From: Oliver Kiddle @ 2000-04-18 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Price; +Cc: Zsh Users

Jason Price wrote:

> 1)  I'm trying to do a simple string match in an if statement, akin to how
> one is done in a case statement.  Something like...:

This is done with if statements normally. All you need is:

if [[ "$var" = pattern ]]; then

Make sure that you don't quote the pattern otherwise it won't work.

> 2) I'm playing with dev-22, and trying to get things to work nice.
> Currently, across all completion, should I hit <tab>, all matches are
> printed onto the command line.  Aka:
>
> ->ls p<tab>
>
> ->ls pc programs prompt
> pc@        prompt

> zstyle ':completion:*' completer _expand _complete _correct _approximate
> zstyle ':completion:*' completions 1
> zstyle ':completion:*' glob 0
> zstyle ':completion:*' substitute 0

The problem here is that you use the _expand completer with completions
1 but glob 0 and substitute 0. The _expand completer is expanding all
the completions on the command line. In general, I would only want to
use completions 1 with a more specific context. Probably your best bet
is to remove _expand from your list of completers but if you want it,
then try reading the appropriate sections of Peter's Zsh Guide (try
'User-friendly users guide' from the zsh web pages if you don't know
where to find it).

Oliver Kiddle

* 2 questions
@ 2000-04-18 18:24 Jason Price
From: Jason Price @ 2000-04-18 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

I'm trying to get a couple of things to work.  Unfortunatly, I'm pretty
sure both are simple... :(.  I just can't figure it out.

1)  I'm trying to do a simple string match in an if statement, akin to how
one is done in a case statement.  Something like...:

case $var in
   patern1* ) ;;
   patern2* ) ;;
esac

if [[ "$var" in "patern1*" ]]; then
fi

I could do this in a case statement, but when you just have one if
condition...

2) I'm playing with dev-22, and trying to get things to work nice.
Currently, across all completion, should I hit <tab>, all matches are
printed onto the command line.  Aka:

->ls
bin/             newcomplete.ps   pc@              prompt
file             nsmail/          programs/

->ls p<tab>

->ls pc programs prompt
pc@        prompt

programs:
bind/      gtar/      netscape/  vim/
gnu/       ncftp/     ssh/       zsh/

->ta<tab>

->ta tabs tail talk talkback tapes tapetool tar targs

->cd programs/g<tab>

->cd programs/gnu programs/gtar/

This is not exactly what I want.  I'd rather have menu complete when it's
non unique, defaulting to the first option, and allowing tab'ing or
arrowing through the list.  New completion setup is as follows:

# The following lines were added by compinstall
autoload -U compinit
compinit
[[ -z $fpath[(r)$_compdir] ]] && fpath=($fpath $_1ompdir)

zstyle ':completion:*' completer _expand _complete _correct _approximate
zstyle ':completion:*' completions 1
zstyle ':completion:*' glob 0
zstyle ':completion:*' ignore-parents parent pwd
zstyle ':completion:*' matcher-list '' 'r:|[._-]=* r:|=*' 'm:{a-zA-Z}={A-Za-z}'
zstyle ':completion:*' max-errors 1
zstyle ':completion:*' menu select=200
zstyle ':completion:*' squeeze-slashes true
zstyle ':completion:*' substitute 0
zstyle ':completion:*' use-compctl false
zstyle ':completion:*' verbose false
# End of lines added by compinstall

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.  If you need any more info,
please let me know.

Jason

--
Faith is not a matter of questions.      Jason Price
Faith is a matter of answers.            jprice@gatech.edu