zsh-users
* Results of "How do you read zsh-users?" survey
@ 2014-01-21 16:21 Bart Schaefer
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2014-01-21 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

The number of responses hasn't changed much since the weekend, so I'm going
to unscientifically call it off and report.

16% of respondents use two methods, but nobody said they use both email
and a news reader.

96% of respondents read the list as email:
    66% desktop (I've included both GUI and CLI in this category)
    14% using a web browser
     2% on a smartphone
    12% both web and desktop
     2% both smartphone and desktop

4% reported using a desktop news reader (I could have said NNTP client more
specifically, I suppose; people who use them probably know what that means).

No one uses a web-based aggregator (by which I hope people understood that
I meant, for example, "I read the gmane archives using the gmane website").

I may follow this up with a review of the essay-question responses once I
figure out how to summarize them.  The majority boil down to "I'm happy
reading zsh-users the way I read it now."

* Re: Results of "How do you read zsh-users?" survey
@ 2014-01-21 16:49 ` René Neumann
From: René Neumann @ 2014-01-21 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Am 21.01.2014 17:21, schrieb Bart Schaefer:
> The number of responses hasn't changed much since the weekend, so I'm going
> to unscientifically call it off and report.

To allow a more useful interpretation of the numbers: Could you state
the number of votes?

- René

* Re: Results of "How do you read zsh-users?" survey
@ 2014-01-21 17:43   ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2014-01-21 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Jan 21,  5:49pm, René Neumann wrote:
}
} To allow a more useful interpretation of the numbers: Could you state
} the number of votes?

There were 50 responses at the time I called it (which coincidentally
was convenient for making whole-number percentages out of the results).

* Re: Results of "How do you read zsh-users?" survey
@ 2014-01-21 17:49 ` glphvgacs
From: glphvgacs @ 2014-01-21 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 08:21:01AM -0800, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> The number of responses hasn't changed much since the weekend, so I'm going
> to unscientifically call it off and report.
>
> 16% of respondents use two methods, but nobody said they use both email
> and a news reader.
>
> 96% of respondents read the list as email:
>     66% desktop (I've included both GUI and CLI in this category)

what's the break down there. i didn't vote though i'm using mutt-kz + isync
on kmscon.

* Re: Results of "How do you read zsh-users?" survey
@ 2014-01-21 18:22 ` zzapper
From: zzapper @ 2014-01-21 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Bart Schaefer <schaefer@brasslantern.com> wrote in

> 4% reported using a desktop news reader (I could have said NNTP client
> more specifically, I suppose; people who use them probably know what
> that means).

So few using a stand-alone news reader?

(I use xnews)

--
zzapper
https://twitter.com/dailyzshtip

* Re: Results of "How do you read zsh-users?" survey
@ 2014-01-22  5:06   ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2014-01-22  5:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Jan 21, 12:49pm, glphvgacs wrote:
} Subject: Re: Results of "How do you read zsh-users?" survey
}
} On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 08:21:01AM -0800, Bart Schaefer wrote:
} >
} > 96% of respondents read the list as email:
} >     66% desktop (I've included both GUI and CLI in this category)
}
} what's the break down there. i didn't vote though i'm using mutt-kz + isync
} on kmscon.

Since I didn't include separate checkboxes for GUI vs. CLI, I don't
really have a good way to break it down further.  A large fraction of
the people who answered the essay question are mutt users, though.
Also a lot of mutt users don't consider it to be a "desktop" MUA,
because many early responders used the "Other" checkbox for mutt.  To
forestall that, I changed the wording of the question slightly on the
second day.

Very few who responded explicitly named a GUI MUA.  I suppose it's not
surprising that the mailing list for a CLI shell would have a lot of
people using CLIs to read it.

* Re: Results of "How do you read zsh-users?" survey
@ 2014-01-22  5:15   ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2014-01-22  5:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Jan 21,  6:22pm, zzapper wrote:
}
} So few using a stand-alone news reader?

Yes, only two of the 50 responses said they use a news reader.  One said
"hybrid news/email client" but gets zsh-users via email, so I added that
one to the email tally.

A few of the essayists mentioned being happy to learn there was an NNTP
option.