zsh-users
* completion function for system_profiler (OS X)
@ 2014-02-05 12:00 luc
From: luc @ 2014-02-05 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hello list menbers,

I'm writing a completion function for the OS X command system_profiler.  (I
did't find one preinstalled with `find $fpath -name _system_profiler` so I
assume there isn't one already)

The manpage for system_profiler says:
> SYNOPSIS
>      system_profiler [-usage]
>      system_profiler [-listDataTypes]
>      system_profiler [-xml] dataType1 ... dataTypeN
>      system_profiler [-xml] [-detailLevel level]

My problem is the third posibility:  I do not know how to tell the completion
system to allow several dataTypes after the command.  I store the dataTypes in
an array which I populate with `system_profiler -listDataTypes`.  How can I
tell zsh that any of these strings may follow in any order several times,
unless -usage or -listDataTypes is given?  My code so far is attached.

Note that the man page is not correct at one point:  It is possible to specify
both -detailLevel and some dataTypes.  For example `system_profiler
-detailLevel mini SPAirPortDataType` differs from `system_profiler -detailLevel
full SPAirPortDataType`

Thank you for any help or hints
Lucas

[-- Attachment #2: _system_profiler --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 762 bytes --]

#compdef system_profiler

typeset -A opt_args

local context state line

local -a _data_types

# TODO: Should this be static?  Calling `system_profiler -listDataTypes` takes
# about 0.07-0.08 sec.  Does this list ever change (between different versions
# of OS X)?
_data_types=$(_call_program path system_profiler -listDataTypes 2>/dev/null)

_arguments \
  '(-listDataTypes -detailLevel -timeout -usage)-usage' \
  '(-listDataTypes -usage)-xml[generate xml output]' \
  '(-listDataTypes -xml -detailLevel -timeout -usage)-listDataTypes[lists the available datatypes]' \
  '(-listDataTypes -usage)-detailLevel[level of detail for the report]:detail level:(mini basic full)' \
  '(-listDataTypes -usage)-timeout+[maximum time to wait in seconds]' \
  && return 0

* Re: completion function for system_profiler (OS X)
@ 2014-02-05 17:23 ` Jun T.
From: Jun T. @ 2014-02-05 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

2014/02/05 21:00, luc <luc.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

> My problem is the third posibility:  I do not know how to tell the completion
> system to allow several dataTypes after the command.  I store the dataTypes in
> an array which I populate with `system_profiler -listDataTypes`.  How can I
> tell zsh that any of these strings may follow in any order several times,
> unless -usage or -listDataTypes is given?  My code so far is attached.

You can simply use '*:message:action' as a spec for _arguments. This can
complete any number of normal arguments. As the 'action', you can use
'(val1 val2 ...)' as you have already used for the option -detailLevel.
So the simplest possibility may be the following:

-----------
#compdef system_profiler

local context state state_descr line
typeset -A opt_args
local -a _data_types

_data_types=( ${${(f)"$(_call_program datatypes system_profiler -listDataTypes 2>/dev/null)"}[2,-1]} )

_arguments \
  '(- *)-usage' \
  '(- *)-listDataTypes[lists the available datatypes]' \
  '(-listDataTypes -usage)-xml[generate xml output]' \
  '(-listDataTypes -usage)-detailLevel[level of detail for the report]:detail level:(mini basic full)' \
  '(-listDataTypes -usage)-timeout+[maximum time to wait in seconds]' \
  '*:data type:'"($_data_types)"
-----------

Output from $(system_profiler -listDataTypes) contains a header line,
which is removed by ( ${$(f)"$(command)"}[2,-1]} ).
You are using _call_program so a user can replace the command by using
zstyle. But the 1st line of the output from the user-specified command
will also be removed.

* Re: completion function for system_profiler (OS X)
@ 2014-02-06  1:50   ` luc
From: luc @ 2014-02-06  1:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Jun,

> You can simply use '*:message:action' as a spec for _arguments.
This works perfectly.
> Output from $(system_profiler -listDataTypes) contains a header line,
> which is removed by ( ${$(f)"$(command)"}[2,-1]} ).
> You are using _call_program so a user can replace the command by using
> zstyle. But the 1st line of the output from the user-specified command
> will also be removed.
I am now hardcoding the data types into the array as the call for
`system_profiler -listDataTypes` is taking a lot of time sometimes.  I
think this list hardly ever changes (in new versions of OS X?).

I will attach my "final" version again.  Is it reasonalble (or desired)
to commit this upsream?

Thank you for your help
Lucas

[-- Attachment #2: _system_profiler --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 1311 bytes --]

#compdef system_profiler

typeset -A opt_args
local context state state_descr line
local -a _data_types

# TODO: Should this be static?  Calling `system_profiler -listDataTypes` takes
# about 0.07-0.08 secs on my machine.  Does this list ever change (between
# different versions of OS X)?
_data_types=( SP{AirPort,Applications,Audio,Bluetooth,Camera,CardReader,Component,ConfigurationProfile,DeveloperTools,Diagnostics,DisabledSoftware,DiscBurning,Displays,Ethernet,Extensions,FibreChannel,FireWire,Firewall,Fonts,Frameworks,Hardware,HardwareRAID,InstallHistory,Logs,ManagedClient,Memory,Network,NetworkLocation,NetworkVolume,PCI,ParallelATA,ParallelSCSI,Power,PrefPane,Printers,PrintersSoftware,SAS,SPI,SerialATA,Software,StartupItem,Storage,SyncServices,Thunderbolt,USB,UniversalAccess,WWAN}DataType )
# the dynamic alternative is:
#_data_types=( ${${(f)"$(_call_program path system_profiler -listDataTypes 2>/dev/null)"}[2,-1]} )

_arguments \
  '(- *)-usage' \
  '(- *)-listDataTypes[lists the available datatypes]' \
  '(-listDataTypes -usage)-xml[generate xml output]' \
  '(-listDataTypes -usage)-detailLevel[level of detail for the report]:detail level:(mini basic full)' \
  '(-listDataTypes -usage)-timeout+[maximum time to wait in seconds]' \
  '(-listDataTypes -usage)*:data type:'"($_data_types)"

* Re: completion function for system_profiler (OS X)
@ 2014-02-06  9:41     ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2014-02-06  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 06 Feb 2014 02:50:34 +0100
luc <luc.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
> I will attach my "final" version again.  Is it reasonalble (or desired)
> to commit this upsream?

Thanks, I've done that.

pws

* Re: completion function for system_profiler (OS X)
@ 2014-02-06 15:44     ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2014-02-06 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Feb 6,  2:50am, luc wrote:
}
} I am now hardcoding the data types into the array as the call for
} `system_profiler -listDataTypes` is taking a lot of time sometimes.  I
} think this list hardly ever changes (in new versions of OS X?).

You could also establish a cache policy which updates only if the
operating system has changed, and populate the cache the first time
system_profiler is completed.

--
Barton E. Schaefer