zsh-users
* ZBEEP doesn't work
@ 2015-03-25  6:47 Han Pingtian
From: Han Pingtian @ 2015-03-25  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-user

Hi,

I have tried to set ZBEEP to "\e[?5h\e[?5l" according to the manual, but
it doesn't make the terminal flashing. Because it's too quick the
reverse video on and off. If I run a command like this:

% print -b '\e[?5h';sleep 0.05;print -b '\e[?5l'

then there is a flashing on the screen.

So what can I set in ZBEEP for a screen flashing?

Thanks.

* Re: ZBEEP doesn't work
@ 2015-03-25  9:43 ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2015-03-25  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-user

On Wed, 25 Mar 2015 14:47:23 +0800
Han Pingtian <hanpt@linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
> I have tried to set ZBEEP to "\e[?5h\e[?5l" according to the manual, but
> it doesn't make the terminal flashing. Because it's too quick the
> reverse video on and off. If I run a command like this:
>
> % print -b '\e[?5h';sleep 0.05;print -b '\e[?5l'
>
> then there is a flashing on the screen.
>
> So what can I set in ZBEEP for a screen flashing?

That way of doing things is certainly a bit VT100-age.

If your terminal has a visual bell, you're better off using that. xterm
and rxvt do but I haven't checked the various GUI system terminal
emulators.  The option is -vb and the resource is visualBell.

pws

* Re: ZBEEP doesn't work
@ 2015-03-25 15:59   ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2015-03-25 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-user

On Mar 25,  9:43am, Peter Stephenson wrote:
} Subject: Re: ZBEEP doesn't work
}
} On Wed, 25 Mar 2015 14:47:23 +0800
} Han Pingtian <hanpt@linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
} > I have tried to set ZBEEP to "\e[?5h\e[?5l" according to the manual,
} > but it doesn't make the terminal flashing. Because it's too quick
}
} If your terminal has a visual bell, you're better off using that.

ZBEEP='\eg' # should "ring the visual bell"

Alas even that often doesn't work, I suspect the graphical display driver
on top of which the entire windowing system is running, optimizes out any
changes that occur between refreshes.