zsh-users
* Is there any magic  to use ZSH in cron scripts ?
@ 1997-02-06 10:50 Helmut Jarausch
From: Helmut Jarausch @ 1997-02-06 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hi,
any script executed by cron is executed by the Bourne shell (on my machine,
I don't try to replace /bin/sh by zsh)

Is there any trick to use zsh?
Unfortunately

#!/bin/zsh
is not recognized when a script is executed by /bin/sh.

The only work around for me is

exec /bin/zsh << 'EOF'

But then
- there is an additional exec
- the parameters to the script are lost

Is there any magic available?

Thanks for any hints,
Helmut Jarausch.

--
Helmut Jarausch
Lehrstuhl f. Numerische Mathematik

* Re: Is there any magic  to use ZSH in cron scripts ?
@ 1997-02-06 12:46 ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1997-02-06 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Helmut Jarausch; +Cc: zsh-users

jarausch@igpm.rwth-aachen.de (Helmut Jarausch) writes:

> any script executed by cron is executed by the Bourne shell (on my
> machine, I don't try to replace /bin/sh by zsh)

Well, you can use "zsh scriptname" in your crontab, and zsh will be
invoked.  Or, alternatively...

> #!/bin/zsh
> is not recognized when a script is executed by /bin/sh.
> The only work around for me is
> exec /bin/zsh << 'EOF'
[...]
> - the parameters to the script are lost
> Is there any magic available?

Try this:

exec /bin/zsh $0 "$@"

It should solve your problems.

--
Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia
--------------------------------+--------------------------------

* Re: Is there any magic  to use ZSH in cron scripts ?
@ 1997-02-06 12:51 ` Zefram
From: Zefram @ 1997-02-06 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Helmut Jarausch; +Cc: zsh-users

Helmut Jarausch wrote:
>any script executed by cron is executed by the Bourne shell (on my machine,
>I don't try to replace /bin/sh by zsh)
>
>Is there any trick to use zsh?

Put your entire cron job in a script that starts "#!/usr/local/bin/zsh"
(or wherever you put it), and then have the actual crontab entry just
exec that script.

-zefram