zsh-users
* zsh and xterm
@ 2007-09-22  3:10 Yurkov Vyacheslav
From: Yurkov Vyacheslav @ 2007-09-22  3:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hi!
When I use xterm as terminal emulator it seems to me that it calls zsh
as non-login shell because my /etc/profile.d scripts not executed.
How can I fix that problem?

--
Yurkov Vyacheslav <UVV-mail@yandex.ru>		Electronic Engineer
Norilsk						Tel: +79069001870

Automation of controling systems and technologic processes
Open Joint Stock Company MMC Norilsk Nickel, brass works

* Re: zsh and xterm
@ 2007-09-22  5:10 ` Matt Wozniski
From: Matt Wozniski @ 2007-09-22  5:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yurkov Vyacheslav; +Cc: zsh-users

On 9/21/07, Yurkov Vyacheslav <UVV-mail@yandex.ru> wrote:
> Hi!
> When I use xterm as terminal emulator it seems to me that it calls zsh
> as non-login shell because my /etc/profile.d scripts not executed.
> How can I fix that problem?

To make xterm start a login shell, use
xterm -ls

However, on a semantics note, the files that are only run on login are
only run once for a reason: they're doing one-shot initialization like
setting up the path, ssh-agents, etc.  So, running that stuff once per
shell is not really the way to go.  Instead, you probably want to look
into making sure that your window manager begins its session from a
login shell.

~Matt