zsh-users
* weird xterm behaviour
@ 1995-09-20 14:02 Jon
From: Jon @ 1995-09-20 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

   I'm having a strange problem with zsh in xterms.  zsh is my default
shell, so an xterm uses zsh by default.  I can open other windows from
the xterm (for example, I type 'netscape &') and it works fine, until I
close the other window.  At this point, the xterm also closes.  I'm using
Linux, and this doesn't seem to happen with any other shells.  Has anyone
seen this problem before?  Any ideas about how to fix it?

 Thanks.

 -Jon

* Re: weird xterm behaviour
@ 1995-09-20 14:38 ` Zefram
From: Zefram @ 1995-09-20 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

>   I'm having a strange problem with zsh in xterms.  zsh is my default
>shell, so an xterm uses zsh by default.  I can open other windows from
>the xterm (for example, I type 'netscape &') and it works fine, until I
>close the other window.  At this point, the xterm also closes.  I'm using
>Linux, and this doesn't seem to happen with any other shells.  Has anyone
>seen this problem before?  Any ideas about how to fix it?

By default, zsh will send a SIGHUP (hangup) to all background jobs when
it exits.  To avoid this, you can use nohup when starting the
background job, or disown the job after starting it (using the disown
builtin), or set the NO_HUP option (using setopt).

-zefram