zsh-users
* Re: need help establishing safety of zsh to sysadmin
@ 1996-05-07 20:10 Karl E. Vogel
From: Karl E. Vogel @ 1996-05-07 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: unpingco; +Cc: zsh-users

>> On Mon, 6 May 1996 13:38:11 -0700 (PDT),
>> unpingco@mpl.UCSD.EDU (Jose Unpingco) said:

J> I've been using zsh for over a year now, but it seems that it has
J> recently come to the attention of the sysadmin who wants me to stop using
J> it on the grounds that "it is not a supported shell" on the machines I
J> work on.

   Sounds like you have a lazy sysadmin.

J> I'm hesistant to give up zsh and all its great functions, which I've come
J> to depend upon, so I was hoping some of you could give me some specific
J> examples of how zsh has not caused problems for you sysadmins out here.

   I've been a sysadmin at the C17 project office since 1987, and I've never
   had a problem with zsh on either a Pyramid or a Sparc that was due to
   anything except my own keyboard carelessness.  As a matter of fact, zsh
   has kept me from deleting important stuff on more than one occasion.

   I tried bash and tcsh for about a year apiece and finally settled on zsh
   as having the best set of functions for interactive use.  This was a few
   years ago and I have no plans on changing to a different shell.

--
Karl Vogel                                        vogelke@c17mis.wpafb.af.mil
Control Data Systems, Inc.           ASC/YCOA, Wright-Patterson AFB, OH 45433

Politics is not a bad profession.  If you succeed there are many
rewards, if you disgrace yourself you can always write a book.  --Ronald Reagan

* RE: need help establishing safety of zsh to sysadmin
@ 1996-05-07 21:30 Ray_Van_Tassle-CRV004
From: Ray_Van_Tassle-CRV004 @ 1996-05-07 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: unpingco, vogelke; +Cc: zsh-users

>> On Mon, 6 May 1996 13:38:11 -0700 (PDT),
>> unpingco@mpl.UCSD.EDU (Jose Unpingco) said:

J> I've been using zsh for over a year now, but it seems that it has
J> recently come to the attention of the sysadmin who wants me to stop using
J> it on the grounds that "it is not a supported shell" on the machines I
J> work on.

So what's the big deal? There's nothing magic about a shell--it's just
another program.  It's not like running zsh will automatically give you SU
priviledges or something.
FWIW, my "real" shell is ksh.  But at the end of my .profile, I have:
"exec ${HOME}/local/bin/zsh -l"

We have folks here who in essence use emacs as their shell, and others who
essentially use netscape as their shell.

-30- Ray

* need help establishing safety of zsh to sysadmin
@ 1996-05-06 20:38 Jose Unpingco
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Jose Unpingco @ 1996-05-06 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hi,

I've been using zsh for over a year now, but it seems that it has
recently come to the attention of the sysadmin who wants me to stop
using it on the grounds that "it is not a supported shell" on the
machines I work on.

I'm hesistant to give up zsh and all its great functions, which I've
come to depend upon, so I was hoping some of you could give me some
specific examples of how zsh has not caused problems for you sysadmins
out here.

I need to make a pretty convincing argument if I'm going to keep this
thing.  Any help appreciated.

             _ - - - _
                 _
Jose Unpingco