zsh-users
* wish list -- noglob on a per-function basis
@ 1996-06-08 23:52 Steven L Baur
From: Steven L Baur @ 1996-06-08 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

I'd like a method of specifying commands and shell functions/aliases
that do not get globbed by the shell.  The csh-style flag is too
coarse a setting.

Something like:
typeset -f -noglob rename

Then the function could be called without quoting, or option fiddling:
rename *.obj *.o

--
steve@miranova.com baur
Unsolicited commercial e-mail will be proofread for $250/hour.

* Re: wish list -- noglob on a per-function basis
@ 1996-06-09  0:50 ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1996-06-09  0:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Steven L Baur (steve@miranova.com) wrote:

> I'd like a method of specifying commands and shell functions/aliases
> that do not get globbed by the shell.  The csh-style flag is too
> coarse a setting.
>
> Something like:
> typeset -f -noglob rename
>
> Then the function could be called without quoting, or option fiddling:
> rename *.obj *.o

What about
alias rename='noglob rename'

Something similar is suggested by the FAQ for nocorrect (alias
mkdir='nocorrect mkdir').

--
hniksic@srce.hr              |  Student of electrical engineering
hniksic@fly.cc.fer.hr        |  University of Zagreb, Croatia

* Re: wish list -- noglob on a per-function basis
@ 1996-06-09  1:00 ` Geoff Wing
From: Geoff Wing @ 1996-06-09  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven L Baur; +Cc: zsh-users

:I'd like a method of specifying commands and shell functions/aliases
:that do not get globbed by the shell.  The csh-style flag is too
:coarse a setting.
:
:Something like:
:typeset -f -noglob rename
:
:Then the function could be called without quoting, or option fiddling:
:rename *.obj *.o

How about
alias rename='noglob rename'
--
Mason [G.C.W]  mason@werple.mira.net.au    "Hurt...Agony...Pain...LOVE-IT"

* Re: wish list -- noglob on a per-function basis
@ 1996-06-09 19:08   ` Steven L Baur
From: Steven L Baur @ 1996-06-09 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hrvoje> Steven L Baur (steve@miranova.com) wrote:

>> I'd like a method of specifying commands and shell functions/aliases
>> that do not get globbed by the shell.

Hrvoje> What about
Hrvoje> alias rename='noglob rename'

Yup.  That does it.  And it's a bit nicer than defmacro.  Thanks.

Hrvoje> I'm a Lisp variable -- bind me!
ROTFL