zsh-users
From: Andrew Main <zefram@tao.co.uk>
To: Tim.Writer@ftlsol.com (Tim Writer)
Cc: zefram@tao.co.uk, quinn@envy.ugcs.caltech.edu, zsh-users@math.gatech.edu
Subject: Re: stuff
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 18:27:53 +0100 (BST)	[thread overview]

Tim Writer wrote:
>> No, that's what /etc/skel is for.
>
>I disagree.  The purpose of /etc/skel is to provide an INITIAL environment.
>It doesn't solve the (much more difficult) problem of MAITAINING a
>consistent, friendly environment for those users that don't have the skills
>to do it themselves.

I see what you mean.  You need to have one single set of shell setup
files, that will be used by any user that makes no attempt to change eir
setup.  However, I disagree that these need to be called /etc/zshenv etc..
It would be much better to have an /etc/skel setup with files that just
source your master files, which you can keep anywhere you want (say,
/usr/local/lib/skel).

-zefram