zsh-users
* Call for neat examples
@ 1998-02-28  1:17 Timothy J Luoma
From: Timothy J Luoma @ 1998-02-28  1:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hey folks

	As Bart just pointed out, there are many different pieces of zsh
that even someone who has used the shell for awhile doesn't necessarily know
about.

	I was wondering if there was any interest in getting together a
'best of Zsh Uses' file.... I'd be happy to put it together.

	I'm thinking of nifty little functions and scripts that illustrate
tricks and just plain good use of the functionality (heh... pun intended) of
zsh.

	Commented code, of course, will be the most easily reusable.... but
if you can at least give an overview it will be appreciated.

	If you're interested, please reply (using this Subject: line) and
I'll start a summary file).

	Thanks!

		TjL

--
"It takes real courage to be a Macintosh user; it takes real
conviction; not unlike being a Christian in the days of the Romans."

* Re: Call for neat examples
@ 1998-02-28 10:30 ` Jimmy Mäkelä
From: Jimmy Mäkelä @ 1998-02-28 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Fri, Feb 27, 1998 at 08:17:21PM -0500, Timothy J Luoma wrote:
> 	I was wondering if there was any interest in getting together a
> 'best of Zsh Uses' file.... I'd be happy to put it together.
>
> 	I'm thinking of nifty little functions and scripts that illustrate
> tricks and just plain good use of the functionality (heh... pun intended) of
> zsh.

I think this is a great idea, i would love it.

* Re: Call for neat examples
@ 1998-03-02 17:02 ` Sven Guckes
From: Sven Guckes @ 1998-03-02 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Quoting Timothy J Luoma (luomat+Lists/Zsh/users@luomat.peak.org):
> [...] there are many different pieces of zsh that even someone
> who has used the shell for awhile doesn't necessarily know about.
> I was wondering if there was any interest in getting together a
> 'best of Zsh Uses' file.... I'd be happy to put it together.
> I'm thinking of nifty little functions and scripts that illustrate tricks
> and just plain good use of the functionality (heh... pun intended) of zsh.

How will you make it available?  Perhaps on a webpage?

Sven  [who likes to link good pages]

--
Sven Guckes guckes@math.fu-berlin.de using zsh-3.0.5 [released 961218]
ZSH  http://www.math.fu-berlin.de/~guckes/zsh/  Tips and tricks

* Re: Call for neat examples
@ 1998-03-04  2:13   ` Timothy J Luoma
From: Timothy J Luoma @ 1998-03-04  2:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Guckes; +Cc: zsh-users

	Author:        Sven Guckes <guckes@math.fu-berlin.de>

> How will you make it available?  Perhaps on a webpage?

Sure.  I'm "maintaining" the ZSH web pages as it is...

But people have to submit some first :-)

So far I haven't gotten a single entry.

TjL

* Re: Re: Call for neat examples
@ 1998-03-10 23:05     ` Sweth Chandramouli
From: Sweth Chandramouli @ 1998-03-10 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Tue, Mar 03, 1998 at 09:13:40PM -0500, Timothy J Luoma wrote:
> 	Author:        Sven Guckes <guckes@math.fu-berlin.de>
>
> > How will you make it available?  Perhaps on a webpage?
>
> Sure.  I'm "maintaining" the ZSH web pages as it is...
>
> But people have to submit some first :-)
>
> So far I haven't gotten a single entry.

	i've thought about this a lot, and i don't know if it will work, or at
least, if it will work and still be a "zsh" page.  most of the functionality
that my on functions provide, at least, are only somewhat zsh-specific; zsh
makes it much easier to do things, but most of the times (in my functions) it
doesn't do everything itself, or in a zsh-specific way.

	for example, here's a quick (well, not so quick, because I was making a
really stupid mistake) function called nobrs that i just wrote for myself:

#!/usr/local/bin/zsh
nobrs () {

case ${1} in
   -[0-9]*) lines=${1#-} ; shift ;;
    *) lines=2 ;;
esac ;

while [[ -n ${1} ]] ; do
   awkstring="awk 'BEGIN {count = 0;} /^$/ {count++; if (count < ${lines})
print; next;} {print \$0; count = 0;}' ${1}" ;
   shift ;
   eval ${awkstring} ;
done ;

}

	nobrs by default removes any newlines more than 2 from whatever file(s)
it gets on the command-line; if the first argument is a hyphen followed by any
digits, it sets the maximum number of consecutive linebreaks to the number
formed by those digits.  most of the work, however, is done by an awk
command-line.  (tangentially, is there any way to get rid of that awk line and
do this all in zsh?)  the while...done and case...esac loops are shell tricks,
but aren't zsh-specific; ditto for the ${1#-}.  really, this is a ksh script
that happens to be a zsh function because i use zsh.
	while this would have been something i would have loved to have seen
when i was first scripting, then, it wouldn't have been something i would have
looked for as a "zsh script", or expected to have found as such.  there are, of
course, examples that would use zsh-specific features, but in most cases, i
think that those features would be used minimally in comparison to the more
general parts of the function.
	i guess my question is, are you envisioning this as a example-based
guide to zsh features, or just as a collection of cool functions used by people
who use zsh?  i'd love the former, of course, since i know that i definitely
underuse zsh features, but have a feeling that it would turn into the latter.
	not that there's anything wrong with that, of course; i would also love
to just get a look at some nifty scripts in general.

	does anyone else have any input on this?

	-- sweth.
--
"Countin' on a remedy I've counted on before
Goin' with a cure that's never failed me

* Re: Call for neat examples
@ 1998-03-12  1:27     ` Andrew J Cosgriff
From: Andrew J Cosgriff @ 1998-03-12  1:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

sven> How will you make it available?  Perhaps on a webpage?

TJL> Sure.  I'm "maintaining" the ZSH web pages as it is...

TJL> But people have to submit some first :-)

I submitted some stuff many years ago to the old webpages.
I can't say they're great examples of zsh'ing though :)

--
Andrew J Cosgriff <ajc@bing.wattle.id.au> exterminate all rational thought !
                    driftwood database ozone lost intensity

* Re: Call for neat examples
@ 1998-03-12  2:02       ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 1998-03-12  2:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew J Cosgriff, zsh-users

On Mar 12, 12:27pm, Andrew J Cosgriff wrote:
> Subject: Re: Call for neat examples
>
> TJL> But people have to submit some first :-)
>
> I submitted some stuff many years ago to the old webpages.

I've sent several examples to TJL.  Haven't seen them show up anywhere,
though.

* Re: Call for neat examples
@ 1998-03-14 18:49       ` Timothy J Luoma
From: Timothy J Luoma @ 1998-03-14 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

	Author:        Sweth Chandramouli <sweth@astaroth.nit.gwu.edu>

> i guess my question is, are you envisioning this as a example-based
> guide to zsh features, or just as a collection of cool functions used by
> people who use zsh? i'd love the former, of course, since i know that i
> definitely

I would like both.

I'm always amazed at people who know how to use Y can do with Y, whether Y
is zsh, sed, perl, etc.  So I would like nifty scripts of any and all kinds,
as well as those which say "And *this* particular feature is zsh-specific or
zsh makes this much easier.

TjL

* Re: Call for neat examples
@ 1998-03-14 18:51         ` Timothy J Luoma
From: Timothy J Luoma @ 1998-03-14 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

	Author:        "Bart Schaefer" <schaefer@brasslantern.com>

> I've sent several examples to TJL.  Haven't seen them show up anywhere,
> though.

That's true, and right now there are about 4 folks who have submitted stuff
(Bart having submitted more than all other combined).

I had to go out of town last week so I haven't had time to do anything with
them, but I'll try to get something started this week.

TjL