zsh-users
* help with parse error
@ 1998-04-07 23:09 Timothy J Luoma
From: Timothy J Luoma @ 1998-04-07 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

What is wrong with this recipe?

verify () {
	for i in "$*"
	do
		if [ -r "$i" ]
		then
		  cd `dirname $i`
		  shortname=`basename $i`
		  md5sum "$shortname" > "$shortname.md5sum"
		  echo "Verified $shortname to $shortname.md5sum"
		else
		  echo "Can't find $i"
		fi
	done
}

Here's what happens when I enter it on the commandline:

verify () {
function> for i in "$*"
function for> do
function for> if [ -r "$i" ]
function for if> then
function for then> cd `dirname $i`
function for then> shortname=`basename $i`
function for then> md5sum "$shortname" > "$shortname.md5sum"
function for then> echo "Verified $shortname to $shortname.md5sum"
function for then> else
function for else> echo "Can't find $i"
function for else> fi
function for else> done
zsh: parse error near `done'

I'm sure it's obvious.... but I've been looking at it and it makes no sense
to me...

TjL

* Re: help with parse error
@ 1998-04-08  0:46 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 1998-04-08  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timothy J Luoma, zsh-users

On Apr 7,  7:09pm, Timothy J Luoma wrote:
} Subject: help with parse error
}
} function> for i in "$*"
} function for> do
} function for> if [ -r "$i" ]
} function for if> then
} function for then> else
} function for else> fi
} function for else> done
              ^^^^^
	      Note, zsh thinks you're still in the "else" clause!

} zsh: parse error near `done'
}
} I'm sure it's obvious.... but I've been looking at it and it makes no sense
} to me...

Check to see whether you have aliased "fi" to something else.  That's the
only thing I know of that can cause this behavior.

* Re: help with parse error
@ 1998-04-08  0:52   ` Timothy J Luoma
From: Timothy J Luoma @ 1998-04-08  0:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

	Author:        "Bart Schaefer" <schaefer@brasslantern.com>

> Check to see whether you have aliased "fi" to something else.  That's the
> only thing I know of that can cause this behavior.

Oh DUUUUUUUHHHHHH

alias fi='fgrep -i'

I did this just today, you'd THINK my mind would remember that but you'd be
wrong ;-)

Thanks (again) Bart... how many is that I owe you ;-?

TjL