zsh-users
* Where should we put the ZSH Web page?
@ 1998-04-26  0:55 Timothy J Luoma
From: Timothy J Luoma @ 1998-04-26  0:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users; +Cc: Peter Stephenson

The most current ZSH pages have been gzipped and tarred to:

ftp://ftp.peak.org/pub/next/documents/misc/zsh-webpages-25-april-98.tar.gz

MD5 = 2faec4cc159063dee58b3b9e0b0ea8f2

It is over 2MB

There are a few folks who have offered to host the pages.

I think ideally the pages would be hosted on the same machine that hosts the
zsh development and main FTP source.

What do y'all think and where would you like to see it?

TjL

ps -- Peter: I won't be able to update the HTML FAQ anymore, so you'll have
to find out who finally takes over.  I'm getting close to graduation.

* Re: Where should we put the ZSH Web page?
@ 1998-04-26  9:43 ` Karsten Thygesen
From: Karsten Thygesen @ 1998-04-26  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timothy J Luoma; +Cc: zsh-users, Peter Stephenson

Timothy> The most current ZSH pages have been gzipped and tarred to:

Timothy> ftp://ftp.peak.org/pub/next/documents/misc/zsh-webpages-25-april-98.tar.gz

Timothy> MD5 = 2faec4cc159063dee58b3b9e0b0ea8f2

Timothy> It is over 2MB

Timothy> There are a few folks who have offered to host the pages.

Timothy> I think ideally the pages would be hosted on the same machine
Timothy> that hosts the zsh development and main FTP source.

Timothy> What do y'all think and where would you like to see it?

Then I will repeat my offer: SunSITE Denmark (sunsite.auc.dk) will be
happy to host the whole project. Here is what we offer:

* Web pages served by Apache (we have had more than 16.000.000
  hits/month and is currently running at about 6.000.000/month, so
  there is plenty of capacity).

* mailinglists run by ezmlm which means completely maintenance free
  lists. We do have RBL and other means against spam. The mailinglists
  can be gatewayed to public newsgroups if you desire so.

* faq's - perhaps using our web-based FAQ tool so that everyone can
  help maintain it.

* Source development with a CVS server with read/write usernames to
  developers and read-only access to everyone else. The CVS tree can
  contain both the source, web-pages and ftp area and is thereby easy
  to maintain.

* Search engine using Infoseek search engine.

Our business is to supports projects like this and SunSITE is 100%
non-commercial (so no advertising/spam!). The SunSITE is driven by
professional staff from the local university in cooperaion with more
than 25 volunteers.

The server is a 4 CPU SPARCServer 1000, 1/2GB memory and 34Mbit
connection to the E-bone which will son be upgraded to 155Mbit. We
have more than 140GB harddisk dedicated to free software (still
growing strong) in a mixture of hard/software based RAID.

This offer is also open to other similar projects, so let us know, if
you know a project on the look for a new home... :-)

Best,
Karsten
SunSITE Manager.

--
M.Sc.E.E, Sys/Net-administrator, BOFH, Aalborg University, Denmark
http://www.kom.auc.dk/~karthy/ for more information.

* Re: Where should we put the ZSH Web page?
@ 1998-04-26 16:00 ` Timothy J Luoma
From: Timothy J Luoma @ 1998-04-26 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users, Peter Stephenson

The ZSH webpage will be hosted at http://sunsite.auc.dk/zsh

They are also going to be hosting a CVS repository and some other neat things.

There is a pointer to their site from the old site at PEAK.

TjL

ps -- Peter: Karsten Thygesen <karthy@kom.auc.dk> should get the HTML FAQ pages now

* Re: Where should we put the ZSH Web page?
@ 1998-04-27  9:05   ` Andrew Main
From: Andrew Main @ 1998-04-27  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timothy J Luoma; +Cc: zsh-users

Timothy J Luoma wrote:
>The ZSH webpage will be hosted at http://sunsite.auc.dk/zsh

Great.

>They are also going to be hosting a CVS repository and some other neat things.

If they do host a CVS repository, it will be purely unofficial.  Much as
I love CVS, I am unwilling for the master zsh sources to be hosted on
a machine over which I (as coordinator of zsh development) do not have
operational control.

-zefram

* Re: Where should we put the ZSH Web page?
@ 1998-04-27  9:35   ` Andrew Main
From: Andrew Main @ 1998-04-27  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karsten Thygesen; +Cc: zsh-users

Karsten Thygesen wrote:
>Then I will repeat my offer: SunSITE Denmark (sunsite.auc.dk) will be
>happy to host the whole project.

Thank you for your kind offer.  I see you've already started hosting the
web pages.  However, I do not think we have any need to take up your
other specific offers.  Most of the matters you address are already
handled adequately by zsh developers, and I'd like it to stay that way.

>* mailinglists run by ezmlm which means completely maintenance free
>  lists. We do have RBL and other means against spam. The mailinglists
>  can be gatewayed to public newsgroups if you desire so.

Our mailing lists are already excellently administered by Richard Coleman,
<coleman@math.gatech.edu>.  We have no need to rehost the mailing lists,
unless he wishes to stop administering them.  Anyone wishing to read
the lists as newsgroups can arrange that on their own system.

>* faq's - perhaps using our web-based FAQ tool so that everyone can
>  help maintain it.

This is Peter's area, but my impression is that the FAQ is already
adequately maintained using our current tools, and having a single
maintainer is an advantage.

>* Source development with a CVS server with read/write usernames to
>  developers and read-only access to everyone else. The CVS tree can
>  contain both the source, web-pages and ftp area and is thereby easy
>  to maintain.

I do not want the master development sources to be on a machine over
which I do not have full control.  The FTP area also needs to be much
more tightly controlled than development sources; I have arranged,
with Geoff Wing, a means of remote updates with PGP authentication,
which CVS just can't match.

>* Search engine using Infoseek search engine.

No doubt this would be useful as part of the web site.

-zefram
--
Andrew Main <zefram@fysh.org>, coordinator of the Zsh Development Group

* Re: Where should we put the ZSH Web page?
@ 1998-04-27  9:35     ` Geoff Wing
From: Geoff Wing @ 1998-04-27  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Andrew Main <zefram@tao.co.uk> typed:
:Timothy J Luoma wrote:
:>The ZSH webpage will be hosted at http://sunsite.auc.dk/zsh
:Great.

Who'll be maintaining them?  There are a couple of errors I saw when glancing
through them:
 about.html      - is the wrong one
 *.shtml         - aren't parsed.
 Doc/index.html  - missing
 lots of references to  peak.org

When zsh.org comes online:
*  META.html will have to updated from  ftp://ftp.zsh.org/pub/META-FAQ.html
*  http://www.zsh.org/      redirects to  http://sunsite.auc.dk/zsh/
*  http://www.zsh.org/pub/  is HTTP access to ftp://ftp.zsh.org/pub/
--
Geoff Wing   <gcw@pobox.com>            Mobile : 0412 162 441
Work URL: http://www.primenet.com.au/   Ego URL: http://pobox.com/~gcw/

* Re: Where should we put the ZSH Web page?
@ 1998-04-27  9:50     ` Karsten Thygesen
From: Karsten Thygesen @ 1998-04-27  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Main; +Cc: zsh-users

Andrew> Thank you for your kind offer.  I see you've already started
Andrew> hosting the web pages.  However, I do not think we have any
Andrew> need to take up your other specific offers.  Most of the
Andrew> matters you address are already handled adequately by zsh
Andrew> developers, and I'd like it to stay that way.

Fine with me. I did make the offer as other people uttered, that it
could be an advantage to collect all the zsh stuff at one
place. Anyway - let's take one thing by the time, but my offer still
stands, if the need should pop up.

I will like to make clear, that my offer was not an attempt to "steal"
the whole project, and it was not a critic at all the nice people who
host part of the zsh project - I just want to support it as much as
possible and offer the resources that I have by hand.

Best,
Karsten.

* Re: Where should we put the ZSH Web page?
@ 1998-04-27  9:55       ` Karsten Thygesen
From: Karsten Thygesen @ 1998-04-27  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mason; +Cc: zsh-users

Geoff> Andrew Main <zefram@tao.co.uk> typed: :Timothy J Luoma wrote:
Geoff> :>The ZSH webpage will be hosted at http://sunsite.auc.dk/zsh
Geoff> :Great.

Geoff> Who'll be maintaining them?  There are a couple of errors I saw
Geoff> when glancing through them:
Geoff>  about.html - is the wrong one *.shtml - aren't parsed.
Geoff>  Doc/index.html - missing lots of references to peak.org

I will go through them and fix the errors etc (actually, I'm working
on this right now. The current pages is just a copy of the old ones).

I do hope, that other people will step forward and help maintain the
pages. If any of you would like to give a hand on this project, then
please let me know in private mail.

Best,
Karsten

* Re: Where should we put the ZSH Web page?
@ 1998-04-27 14:05       ` Timothy J Luoma
From: Timothy J Luoma @ 1998-04-27 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mason; +Cc: zsh-users

	Author:        mason@primenet.com.au (Geoff Wing)

> *.shtml         - aren't parsed.

AFAIK That's due to PEAK's apache configuration

> lots of references to  peak.org

I did a search/replace for the former maintainer and replaced them with PEAK
references.  Shouldn't be too hard to undo.

TjL

* Re: Where should we put the ZSH Web page?
@ 1998-04-27 14:12         ` Timothy J Luoma
From: Timothy J Luoma @ 1998-04-27 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

FWIW I'd love to see a www.zsh.org where one can find:

	source code
	mailing list archives
	developer patches, etc
	web pages
	FAQs
	etc etc etc

That main page could be mirrored globally (it needn't be in the USA, that
domain name was for example only).

I think it would be to an advantage if ZSH could have one main & stable
site, where anyone interested in helping could remotely login.

Patches could be submitted via email and procmail.

The FAQ could be auto-decoded and put into place with procmail (from
wherever Peter or whoever else resides).

Mailing lists could be archived with hypermail and procmail (or some other).

ZSH has a lot of great support, but the non-localization does make it more
difficult IMO.

But then again I prefer FreeBSD over Linux, so this may just be the way I
think is best ;-)

TjL