zsh-users
* unresolvable symbol on IRIX
@ 1998-07-06 11:32 Roland Jesse
From: Roland Jesse @ 1998-07-06 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

I am using zsh as my login shell. When I try to log in to an SGI O2
running IRIX 6.4 (zsh 3.1.4), I get:

jesse.knecht ~ % ssh zille
Last login: Mon Jul  6 13:26:01 1998 from knecht
25863:-zsh: rld: Fatal Error: attempted access to unresolvable symbol in -zsh: cap_get_proc
Connection to zille closed.
jesse.knecht ~ %

(zille is the O2, knecht is a Sun Sparc Station running Solaris 2.6)

Has anybody encountered this before? Is this some kind of misbehavior
of zsh itself or is it some misconfiguration by myself?

Any hints are greatly appreciated.

	Roland Jesse

* Re: unresolvable symbol on IRIX
@ 1998-07-31 17:13 ` Roland Jesse
From: Roland Jesse @ 1998-07-31 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Ok, it is me again. The problem posted a couple of days ago still
exists.

Roland Jesse writes:

 > jesse.knecht ~ % ssh zille
 > Last login: Mon Jul  6 13:26:01 1998 from knecht
 > 25863:-zsh: rld: Fatal Error: attempted access to unresolvable symbol in -zsh: cap_get_proc
 > Connection to zille closed.
 > jesse.knecht ~ %

I greped through the zsh (3.1.4) sources and found references to
cap_get_proc in Src/utils.c and Src/Modules/cap.c. Both files contain
a cimple function call with this name but no further references or
indications of where it comes from. At least on Solaris 2.6 and IRIX
6.4, I could not find a manpage for cap_get_proc.

I would very much appreciate if somebody could provide some
information about what library zsh needs to be linked with to make
this function call work.

	Thanks in advance,

@ 1998-07-31 18:41   ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 1998-07-31 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roland Jesse, zsh-users

On Jul 31,  7:13pm, Roland Jesse wrote:
} Subject: Re: unresolvable symbol on IRIX
}
} I greped through the zsh (3.1.4) sources and found references to
} cap_get_proc in Src/utils.c and Src/Modules/cap.c. Both files contain
} a cimple function call with this name but no further references or
} indications of where it comes from.

It's inside an #ifdef HAVE_CAP_INIT.  That means that configure has
decided that IRIX has POSIX capability sets for controlling file access.
I don't know what library is involved; you could manually remove the
definition of HAVE_CAP_INIT from config.h if you don't care to use
POSIX capability sets, or check your manuals to find the appropriate
library (and then please get back to us so we can include the proper
linkage in the standard zsh build).

* Re: unresolvable symbol on IRIX
@ 1998-08-03  8:42   ` Zefram
From: Zefram @ 1998-08-03  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jesse; +Cc: zsh-users

Roland Jesse wrote:
> > jesse.knecht ~ % ssh zille
> > Last login: Mon Jul  6 13:26:01 1998 from knecht
> > 25863:-zsh: rld: Fatal Error: attempted access to unresolvable symbol in -zsh: cap_get_proc

cap_get_proc() is part of the POSIX.1e capability interface.
Inclusion of that code is predicated on the existence of cap_init().
The above error suggests that your C library has a cap_init() but not
cap_get_proc(), which suggests that the cap_init() is not actually the
POSIX.1e cap_init().

Please check your C library with nm, and let me know which cap_ symbols
are defined.

-zefram