zsh-users
From: Sweth Chandramouli <sweth@astaroth.nit.gwu.edu>
To: zsh-users@math.gatech.edu
Subject: Re: Backticks In zshenv
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 16:36:38 -0400	[thread overview]

On Tue, Oct 20, 1998 at 09:55:42AM -0700, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> On Oct 20,  3:35pm, Daniel Rigal wrote:
> } Subject: Backticks In zshenv
> }
> } I am having a problem which is driving me up the wall!
> } Basically, Z-Shell seems to randomly decline to run commands
> } in backticks in the zshenv (both the central one or the
> } user's own zshenv show this effect).
>
> I've just seen the same problem, on a newly-installed RedHat 5.1 Linux
> system with the zsh-3.0.5-2 RPM.  The /etc/zshenv file contains
>
> 	if [[ `id -u` -eq 0 ]]
> 	then
> 	fi

	similar problems for about a year in my .zshrc, which prints a welcome
message parsing the output of `uname -n`; this is running 3.1.4 zsh on solaris
2.5.1, and 3.0.5 on solaris 2.6.
	it seems like everyone is having problems only during the sourcing of
startup files.  has anyone had this happen during an interactive shell, after
startup?

	-- sweth.

--
Sweth Chandramouli
IS Coordinator, The George Washington University