zsh-users
* segmentation fault at startup
@ 1999-07-12  3:50 Matt Garman
From: Matt Garman @ 1999-07-12  3:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh users

Hello:

I tried to build zsh from the 3.1.5 source.  The compilation and
installation went fine, but when I actually try to run the binary, it
just seg faults:

zsh: segmentation fault  zsh

I didn't compile it with debugging symbols, but tried to run it in gdb
anyway, and gdb reported the segmentation fault signal was caught in
the wrefresh() function, if that helps anyone.

I first tried to build with pgcc-2.91.60 for optimization, but thought
perhaps pgcc was the cause of the seg fault, so then I used the gcc
that came with my distribution, gcc-2.7.2.3.  I also tried building
from the 3.1.4 source, and had the same problem.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Garman, garman@students.uiuc.edu
"And though the window in the wall

* Re: segmentation fault at startup
@ 1999-07-12  7:27 Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 1999-07-12  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Garman, Zsh users list

Matt Garman wrote:
> I didn't compile it with debugging symbols, but tried to run it in gdb
> anyway, and gdb reported the segmentation fault signal was caught in
> the wrefresh() function, if that helps anyone.

It shouldn't call wrefresh() --- the problem was that the line editor's
`refresh' function was getting confused with the function from the curses
package on some operating systems, particularly with dynamic loading. This
should be fixed in 3.1.6 (which is imminent).

--
Peter Stephenson <pws@ibmth.df.unipi.it>       Tel: +39 050 844536
WWW:  http://www.ifh.de/~pws/