zsh-users
* Re: completion for GNU color ls, anyone?
@ 2000-07-21  9:16 Sven Wischnowsky
From: Sven Wischnowsky @ 2000-07-21  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Francis Galiegue wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Jul 2000, Matthias Kopfermann wrote:
>
> > hi marvelous list :)
> >
> > I am looking for completions for GNU-tools which are not part of
> > the 3.1.9 source. one completion which i would like is for GNU
> > color ls, then for screen and setterm.
>
> You can just export ZLS_COLORS=$LS_COLORS in your .zshrc or anywhere else, or
> did I completely misunderstand your question?

I think he really wanted completion for ls (the options, I guess, with
descriptions and things).

The place to turn to for such (rather simple) cases is _arguments.
Look at one of the simpler completion function, like, say, _joe,
_flex or _gzip. And at Peter's user guide.

Bye
 Sven

* Re: completion for GNU color ls, anyone?
       [not found] <no.id>
@ 2000-07-21 16:00 ` Matthias Kopfermann
From: Matthias Kopfermann @ 2000-07-21 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

setterm would be cool, too. there are 100 's. xterm would be cool
but i guess, i should look into a dev-version. it might already
be there :)

* Re: completion for GNU color ls, anyone?
@ 2000-07-21 15:54   ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2000-07-21 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthias Kopfermann; +Cc: zsh-users

I've created a patch category on the sourceforge.net zsh project for the
submission of new completion functions.

    http://sourceforge.net/patch/?group_id=4068&_category=10305

Subscribers to zsh-workers of course can continue to send new functions
to the list, but we can use sourceforge as a "drop zone" for other new
completions and direct people there (via the FAQ and META-FAQ, perhaps,
but more likely via link on zsh.org) to obtain functions that either are
not in the distribution yet or are too system-specific for inclusion in
the general distribution.

* Re: completion for GNU color ls, anyone?
@ 2000-07-21 15:17   ` Adam Spiers
From: Adam Spiers @ 2000-07-21 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matthias Kopfermann (kopfermann@trio-hittfeld.de) wrote:
> I really want the gnu-linux versions of as many commands as i can
> get. This ZLS_COLORS trick is known to me :)
> as zsh is not for GNU only (which is good), it does not provide
> enough completions for GNU commands.
> ls , screen , perl (well sort of GNU :)), emacs completions, vim
> and many others are missing.

Completions for perl are not missing.  Have you tried a recent
development release?

I might get round to doing screen and emacs soon.  I'm not a vim user
so I won't do that.  ls ... well, that's a different issue.  The
options for ls vary massively over the different systems, so we
probably will need to have a restructuring of the Completion subtree
before this gets completion code.

> (of course, no ZSH distribution can have all these commands, that
> would take 1000's of hours to do them all, i guess.)

Don't underestimate us :-)   We have a completion set which is pretty
impressive complete already ...

* Re: completion for GNU color ls, anyone?
@ 2000-07-21 11:09 Sven Wischnowsky
From: Sven Wischnowsky @ 2000-07-21 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Matthias Kopfermann wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 21, 2000 at 12:55:39PM +0200, Sven Wischnowsky wrote:
> > But seriously, we already have completion functions for GNU commands
> > and if people write new ones and send them to us they will be reviewed
> > and shipped with future versions.
>  i know and i am quite happy with many completions. And don't get
>  me wrong. I am trying to learn how to do them myself. Perhaps i
>  should send my versions and ask questions to understand the
>  completion system better. But i am feeling like a Silliest
>  Possible User already :)

Don't. Every question (if it can be answered ;-) helps you and us (to
learn where people have problems).

> > The same for non-GNU commands,
> > obviously.
> I hope so, too.
> > So, if anyone has anything interesting...
> And what about the ability to have a special site for fg. Linux.
> Would that make some sense? I mean i guess that many people would
> love a site like that. And that should not be the goal of a
> ZSH-distribution to ship with as many completions for Linux as
> possible. So perhaps a site dedicated would be cool.
> The gurus could then judge what should be included with ZSH
> itself. Just an idea for discussion.

Look at the contents of the Completion directory. We already have
dedicated sub-directories for some systems (AIX, Bsd, Debian, Linux).
And there'll be a big overhaul of the directory structure before the
release of 4.0 so that it should be easier for users to select those
directories they need/want. Hopefully.

Bye
 Sven

@ 2000-07-21 10:58 ` Matthias Kopfermann
From: Matthias Kopfermann @ 2000-07-21 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Wischnowsky; +Cc: zsh-users

On Fri, Jul 21, 2000 at 12:55:39PM +0200, Sven Wischnowsky wrote:
> But seriously, we already have completion functions for GNU commands
> and if people write new ones and send them to us they will be reviewed
> and shipped with future versions.
 i know and i am quite happy with many completions. And don't get
 me wrong. I am trying to learn how to do them myself. Perhaps i
 should send my versions and ask questions to understand the
 completion system better. But i am feeling like a Silliest
 Possible User already :)
> The same for non-GNU commands,
> obviously.
I hope so, too.
> So, if anyone has anything interesting...
And what about the ability to have a special site for fg. Linux.
Would that make some sense? I mean i guess that many people would
love a site like that. And that should not be the goal of a
ZSH-distribution to ship with as many completions for Linux as
possible. So perhaps a site dedicated would be cool.
The gurus could then judge what should be included with ZSH
itself. Just an idea for discussion.

Matthias

* Re: completion for GNU color ls, anyone?
@ 2000-07-21 10:55 Sven Wischnowsky
From: Sven Wischnowsky @ 2000-07-21 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Matthias Kopfermann wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 21, 2000 at 11:18:11AM +0200, Francis Galiegue wrote:
> > On Thu, 20 Jul 2000, Matthias Kopfermann wrote:
> >

> > You can just export ZLS_COLORS=$LS_COLORS in your .zshrc or anywhere else, or
> > did I completely misunderstand your question?
> yes, completely :)
> I really want the gnu-linux versions of as many commands as i can
> get. This ZLS_COLORS trick is known to me :)
> as zsh is not for GNU only (which is good), it does not provide
> enough completions for GNU commands.
> ls , screen , perl (well sort of GNU :)), emacs completions, vim
> and many others are missing. (of course, no ZSH distribution can
> have all these commands, that would take 1000's of hours to do
> them all, i guess.)
>
> Do we have a place to collect the completions of GNU commands?
> That would be cool, I am quite sure.

Sure we have. It's called `the distribution' ;-)

But seriously, we already have completion functions for GNU commands
and if people write new ones and send them to us they will be reviewed
and shipped with future versions. The same for non-GNU commands,
obviously.

@ 2000-07-21 10:42 ` Matthias Kopfermann
From: Matthias Kopfermann @ 2000-07-21 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2000-07-21  9:20   ` Andrej Borsenkow
From: Andrej Borsenkow @ 2000-07-21  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > I am looking for completions for GNU-tools which are not part of
> > the 3.1.9 source. one completion which i would like is for GNU
> > color ls, then for screen and setterm.
>
> You can just export ZLS_COLORS=$LS_COLORS in your .zshrc or
> anywhere else, or
> did I completely misunderstand your question?

As I understand, he looks for completion for the above commands.

-andrej

* Re: completion for GNU color ls, anyone?
@ 2000-07-21  9:18 ` Francis Galiegue
From: Francis Galiegue @ 2000-07-21  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Francis Galiegue, fg@mandrakesoft.com
"Programming is a race between programmers, who try and make more and more

* completion for GNU color ls, anyone?
@ 2000-07-20 17:56 Matthias Kopfermann
From: Matthias Kopfermann @ 2000-07-20 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

hi marvelous list :)

I am looking for completions for GNU-tools which are not part of
the 3.1.9 source. one completion which i would like is for GNU
color ls, then for screen and setterm. btw i use SUSE 6.2 linux right
now but i guess "for current GNU" should tell enough, right?.
I am studying on doing completions myself but right now i had no
luck with the attempts i tried, mercy :) I still want to
understand how to do it but other things have to be learned and
done, too.

Matthias