zsh-users
* WORDCHARS
@ 2000-08-14 12:19 FUJITA Yuji
From: FUJITA Yuji @ 2000-08-14 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hi, dear shell wizards.

I'm running zsh-3.1.6 and quite satisfied with it except for one
thing. Its about the default value of WORDCHARS which sets zle to skip
most of the non-alphabetical characters in forward-word or
backward-word, just like limited express train (Shinkan-sen of Japan
or TGV of E.U.), very unlike other shells or emacsen behavior.
I hope the default value of it to be null, or is there some reason for
this default value ?

regards.

FUJITA Yuji
yuji@wl.me.titech.ac.jp

* Re: WORDCHARS
@ 2000-08-14 16:27 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2000-08-14 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: FUJITA Yuji, zsh-users

On Aug 14,  9:19pm, FUJITA Yuji wrote:
}
} I'm running zsh-3.1.6 and quite satisfied with it except for one
} thing. Its about the default value of WORDCHARS which sets zle to skip
} most of the non-alphabetical characters

It's set up that way so that backward-kill-word will behave like the BSD
tty driver werase character (see "stty -a").

You'll notice that backward-kill-word is bound to ctrl-W by default, which
is also not loke emacs but is compatible with the default stty setting for
werase.

Zsh makes the assumption that most people who first try it are used to using
a dumb shell, not a smart editor, and that the people who do know how to use
a smart editor can figure out how to make zsh do what they want.

* Re: WORDCHARS
@ 2000-08-14 16:54   ` FUJITA Yuji
From: FUJITA Yuji @ 2000-08-14 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: schaefer; +Cc: yuji, zsh-users

Hi, this is FUJITA Yuji. Thanks for quick reply.

From: "Bart Schaefer" <schaefer@candle.brasslantern.com>
Subject: Re: WORDCHARS
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 16:27:22 +0000

> Zsh makes the assumption that most people who first try it are used to using
> a dumb shell, not a smart editor, and that the people who do know how to use
> a smart editor can figure out how to make zsh do what they want.

Thats the way I like it (^^).

Now I realize that the problem resides not in the default value
of WORDCHARS but in that I dont know the way how dumb shells act.

藤田裕二
FUJITA Yuji
yuji@wl.me.titech.ac.jp