zsh-users
* Re: Completion doesn't work after upgrade
@ 2000-08-31 10:33 Sven Wischnowsky
From: Sven Wischnowsky @ 2000-08-31 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users; +Cc: Klaus Wacker

Klaus Wacker wrote:

> Dear Zsh, I just upgraded my notebook from Debian Linux 2.1 to 2.2,
> which brought with it an upgrade of zsh from 3.1.2-10 to
> 3.1.6.pws21-1. After the upgrade, TAB completion didn't work any more,
> i.e., hitting TAB when the cursor is at the end of an incomplete
> filename on the command line has no effect at all.
>
> I found by accident that `compctl -L' will make it work again,
> although, according to man zshcomp, the existing behavior is not
> supposed to be changed by this option.
>
> I traced the problem to the two statements:
>
> bindkey -me
> bindkey '^[[2~' overwrite-mode
>
> in my ~/.zshrc. If I omit both, the problem goes away. Either one of
> them or both will cause the problem to reappear.
>
> I could of course put `compctl -L >/dev/null' into my .zshrc, but
> somehow I think that that is not the correct solution.

At least one of the betas had the bug that the compctl module
wasn't loaded automatically (and it was affected by autoloading of the
zle module). I'm pretty sure this is the problem you've discovered.

So, to make things work, you can either use the workaround you
discovered or upgrade to a newer version of zsh.

You can also have a look at the new completion system...

We apologise for the inconvenience.

Bye
 Sven

P.S.: This has been fixed quite some time ago, dunno why Debian 2.2
      comes with a version of zsh that has this bug.

* Re: Completion doesn't work after upgrade
@ 2000-08-31 11:14 ` Thomas Köhler
From: Thomas Köhler @ 2000-08-31 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Thu, Aug 31, 2000 at 12:33:50PM +0200,
Sven Wischnowsky <wischnow@informatik.hu-berlin.de> wrote:
[...]
> Bye
>  Sven
>
> P.S.: This has been fixed quite some time ago, dunno why Debian 2.2
>       comes with a version of zsh that has this bug.

It's simply because that was the version that was in potato when it went
into freeze - and new packages are only accepted when they close
release-critical bugs or in very rare (and well justified) cases.
As Debian 2.2 (aka potato) had a long freeze, a lot of new zsh versions
have appeared.
Under normal circumstances, this ensures Debian's high quality, in this
special case, it's just bad luck...

Ciao,
Thomas

--
 Thomas Köhler Email:   jean-luc@picard.franken.de     | LCARS - Linux
     <><        WWW:     http://jeanluc-picard.de      | for Computers

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 240 bytes --]

* Completion doesn't work after upgrade
@ 2000-08-31 10:17 ` Klaus Wacker
From: Klaus Wacker @ 2000-08-31 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users