zsh-users
* Windows Zsh - Available Elsewhere?
@ 2000-12-03 18:41 I.S.Wolfe
From: I.S.Wolfe @ 2000-12-03 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

The only reference I have been able to find to the
Windows port of zsh is on ftp.blarg.net, which seems
to always refuse anonymous ftp connections.

If there is another pickup-point for this software,
would someone please tell me what it is?  And if not,
would someone be kind enough to send me a copy?  I
can provide an ftp dropoff-point, if anyone would
make the file-transfer to me.

Thanks!

Regards,
 - Irving
-
 I.S.Wolfe@Happy-Man.com    Happy Man Corporation
 +1 206 463 9399, ext 101   4410 SW Pt Robinson Rd
     fax: +1 206 463 9255   Vashon, WA  98070  USA

 Solid Value Investment Letter -- more than 14 years
 safely outperforming the stock market through wise,
 conservative selection: http://www.solid-value.com/

* Re: Windows Zsh - Available Elsewhere?
@ 2000-12-04 10:40 ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2000-12-04 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: I.S.Wolfe, Zsh users list

> The only reference I have been able to find to the
> Windows port of zsh is on ftp.blarg.net, which seems
> to always refuse anonymous ftp connections.

You might want to take a look at Cygwin, which is now fully supported, for
various values of `fully'.  Cygwin is easily downloadable (more or less, er,
fully automated) from sources.redhat.com, and zsh will compile out of the
box.  This gives you a complete UNIX environment, which zsh running under
native Windows doesn't.  However, it's not that fast.  The comparison
between zsh running under Linux and under Windows 98/Cygwin on the same box
is painful (although the two words in the middle are probably the main
culprit).

Cambridge Silicon Radio, Unit 300, Science Park, Milton Road,
Cambridge, CB4 0XL, UK                          Tel: +44 (0)1223 392070

* Re: Windows Zsh - Available Elsewhere?
@ 2000-12-05 15:26   ` Andrej Borsenkow
From: Andrej Borsenkow @ 2000-12-05 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Stephenson, I.S.Wolfe, Zsh users list

> > The only reference I have been able to find to the
> > Windows port of zsh is on ftp.blarg.net, which seems
> > to always refuse anonymous ftp connections.
>
> You might want to take a look at Cygwin, which is now fully supported, for
> various values of `fully'.  Cygwin is easily downloadable (more or less,
er,
> fully automated) from sources.redhat.com, and zsh will compile out of the
> box.  This gives you a complete UNIX environment, which zsh running under
> native Windows doesn't.  However, it's not that fast.  The comparison
> between zsh running under Linux and under Windows 98/Cygwin on the same
box
> is painful (although the two words in the middle are probably the main
> culprit).

I probably should add a comment, that recent versions of Cygwin are a bit
faster. Also, there is some difference between Win9x and Win2k - I can say
only about the latter and it has acceptable performance w.r.t. Cygwin
(assuming, you are able to run Win2k at all :-)

-andrej