zsh-users
* strange effect on Linux
@ 2001-03-12  9:51 jarausch
From: jarausch @ 2001-03-12  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hi !

Sorry this might be off-topic since I've experienced something
similar with bash

The following script (normally a function)
works just fine on my SGI box.
But at home (Linux 2.4.2 / glibc2.2.2)
and latest zsh it fails

#!/bin/zsh
Mode=Prod
V=0
R=9063

Progs=(perl5.7.$V sperl5.7.$V perl suidperl a2p c2ph h2ph h2xs \
       perlbug perldoc pl2pm splain perlcc dprofpp s2p find2perl \
       pod2man pod2html pod2latex pod2text pod2usage podchecker podselect pstruct)
mkdir Perl.$Mode.5.7.$V.$R
mv -f $^Progs Perl.$Mode.5.7.$V.$R/

Again and again I get the error messages

mv: Perl.Prod.5.7.0.9063/perl: No such file or directory
mv: Perl.Prod.5.7.0.9063/suidperl: No such file or directory
mv: Perl.Prod.5.7.0.9063/pstruct: No such file or directory

and I don't understand why it tries to access these files.
After that, these files (perl,suidperl,pstruct) are NOT
moved to the directory Perl.Prod.5.7.0.9063 as wanted.
I have to do by hand.

What might go on here?
I'm just puzzled.

Thanks for a hint,

Helmut Jarausch

Lehrstuhl fuer Numerische Mathematik
Institute of Technology, RWTH Aachen
D 52056 Aachen, Germany

* Re: strange effect on Linux
@ 2001-03-12 22:15 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2001-03-12 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jarausch, zsh-users

On Mar 12, 10:51am, jarausch@igpm.rwth-aachen.de wrote:
} Subject: strange effect on Linux
}
} Progs=(perl5.7.$V sperl5.7.$V perl suidperl a2p c2ph h2ph h2xs \
}        perlbug perldoc pl2pm splain perlcc dprofpp s2p find2perl \
}        pod2man pod2html pod2latex pod2text pod2usage podchecker podselect pstruct)
} mkdir Perl.$Mode.5.7.$V.$R
} mv -f $^Progs Perl.$Mode.5.7.$V.$R/
}
} Again and again I get the error messages
}
} mv: Perl.Prod.5.7.0.9063/perl: No such file or directory
} mv: Perl.Prod.5.7.0.9063/suidperl: No such file or directory
} mv: Perl.Prod.5.7.0.9063/pstruct: No such file or directory
}
} and I don't understand why it tries to access these files.

perl, suidperl, and pstruct are all hard links to other files.  In each
case your "mv" command has already "mv"d the other name (e.g. perl5.7.0
for perl) for those files to the new directory.

This sounds like a bug in "mv" -- are you using zsh's files module, or
/bin/mv, or ...?  Which linux *distribution* (not just kernel version)
of linux are you using?  What version of GNU fileutils?  Are there any
NFS file systems involved?

* Re: strange effect on Linux
@ 2001-03-12 23:19   ` Vincent Lefevre
From: Vincent Lefevre @ 2001-03-12 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Schaefer; +Cc: jarausch, zsh-users

On 12 Mar, Bart Schaefer <schaefer@candle.brasslantern.com> wrote:
> On Mar 12, 10:51am, jarausch@igpm.rwth-aachen.de wrote:
[snip]

> This sounds like a bug in "mv" -- are you using zsh's files module, or
> /bin/mv, or ...?  Which linux *distribution* (not just kernel version)
> of linux are you using?  What version of GNU fileutils?  Are there any
> NFS file systems involved?

BTW, a few hours ago, I had a similar problem with rm (from GNU fileutils
4.0p), on a NFS file system:

$ \rm -r package.old
rm: cannot remove `package.old/chrome/modern/skin/modern/global/button-def-mid-mid.gif': No such file or directory

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vincent@vinc17.org> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.org/> - 100%
validated HTML - Acorn Risc PC, Yellow Pig 17, Championnat International des

* Re: strange effect on Linux
@ 2001-03-14  8:47   ` jarausch
From: jarausch @ 2001-03-14  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: schaefer; +Cc: zsh-users

On 12 Mar, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> On Mar 12, 10:51am, jarausch@igpm.rwth-aachen.de wrote:
> } Subject: strange effect on Linux
> }
> } Progs=(perl5.7.$V sperl5.7.$V perl suidperl a2p c2ph h2ph h2xs \
> }        perlbug perldoc pl2pm splain perlcc dprofpp s2p find2perl \
> }        pod2man pod2html pod2latex pod2text pod2usage podchecker podselect pstruct)
> } mkdir Perl.$Mode.5.7.$V.$R
> } mv -f $^Progs Perl.$Mode.5.7.$V.$R/
> }
> } Again and again I get the error messages
> }
> } mv: Perl.Prod.5.7.0.9063/perl: No such file or directory
> } mv: Perl.Prod.5.7.0.9063/suidperl: No such file or directory
> } mv: Perl.Prod.5.7.0.9063/pstruct: No such file or directory
> }
> } and I don't understand why it tries to access these files.
>
> perl, suidperl, and pstruct are all hard links to other files.  In each
> case your "mv" command has already "mv"d the other name (e.g. perl5.7.0
> for perl) for those files to the new directory.
>
> This sounds like a bug in "mv" -- are you using zsh's files module, or
> /bin/mv, or ...?  Which linux *distribution* (not just kernel version)
> of linux are you using?  What version of GNU fileutils?  Are there any
> NFS file systems involved?

Many thanks, you're right.
It seems to be a bug in GNU fileutils-4.0

There is no NFS file system involved.

I've made a simple test in a fresh directory

mkdir TT
touch a
ln a b
mv a b TT

and I get the same error message that
TT/b is missing.

Having loaded zsh/files
it works just fine.

So, I'll have to write a bug report to gnu.

Thanks for solving this mystery,
Helmut.