zsh-users
* DEC VT220 and zsh...
@ 2001-05-19  0:10 Alan Third
From: Alan Third @ 2001-05-19  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh users list

OK, I'm stumped. I got a DEC VT220, connected it to my internet
gateway box and stuck a getty on it. Everything is fine until I try to
run zsh, which doesn't seem to do anything.

I had to change my login shell to bash, which works happily. The only
thing I wasn't expecting is that $TERM is "linux" rather than "vt220",
could this be affecting zsh?

I'm running the unstable version of debian (whatever it's called these
days...)

oscar:/home/alan>echo $ZSH_VERSION
4.0.1-pre-3

Any ideas or anything blatantly obvious that I'm missing?

Thanks!
--
Alan Third
((h=$COLUMNS-1,v=$LINES,c=0)); for ((b=-1.5;b<=1.5;b+=3.0/v));do; for ((a=-2.0;

* Re: DEC VT220 and zsh...
@ 2001-05-19  2:17 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2001-05-19  2:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Third, Zsh users list

On May 19,  1:10am, Alan Third wrote:
}
} OK, I'm stumped. I got a DEC VT220, connected it to my internet
} gateway box and stuck a getty on it. Everything is fine until I try to
} run zsh, which doesn't seem to do anything.

The last time this came up, it was because "stuck a getty on it" really
meant "stuck an mgetty on it" -- and since the line is a terminal, not
a modem (the m in mgetty), zsh and mgetty clashed over the exclusive-open
on the tty device.

} I had to change my login shell to bash, which works happily. The only
} thing I wasn't expecting is that $TERM is "linux" rather than "vt220",
} could this be affecting zsh?

Not in the way you describe, but you probably want to change the getty
command line in /etc/inittab to provide the correct terminal type.

* Re: DEC VT220 and zsh...
@ 2001-05-20 20:51   ` Thomas Köhler
From: Thomas Köhler @ 2001-05-20 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Third, Zsh users list

On Sat, May 19, 2001 at 02:17:42AM +0000,
Bart Schaefer <schaefer@candle.brasslantern.com> wrote:
> On May 19,  1:10am, Alan Third wrote:
> }
> } OK, I'm stumped. I got a DEC VT220, connected it to my internet
> } gateway box and stuck a getty on it. Everything is fine until I try to
> } run zsh, which doesn't seem to do anything.
>
> The last time this came up, it was because "stuck a getty on it" really
> meant "stuck an mgetty on it" -- and since the line is a terminal, not
> a modem (the m in mgetty), zsh and mgetty clashed over the exclusive-open
> on the tty device.

Yes, I _do_ remember this one ;-) Though I'm using a DEC VT510 ;-)

> } I had to change my login shell to bash, which works happily. The only
> } thing I wasn't expecting is that $TERM is "linux" rather than "vt220",
> } could this be affecting zsh?
>
> Not in the way you describe, but you probably want to change the getty
> command line in /etc/inittab to provide the correct terminal type.

As I'm also running Debian unstable (aka sid), my line in /etc/inittab
may be of help. Here it is:

T1:23:respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS1 38400 vt510
#                                  ^^^^^ ^^^^^- you should change this
#                                  |||||        to "vt220"
#                                  +++++------- the line speed. 9600
#                                               or 19200 may also be
#                                               values you should try
#                                               out if you run into
#                                               problems

CU,
Thomas

--
 Thomas Köhler Email:   jean-luc@picard.franken.de     | LCARS - Linux
     <><        WWW:     http://jeanluc-picard.de      | for Computers

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 232 bytes --]

* Re: DEC VT220 and zsh...
@ 2001-05-21 15:00     ` Alan Third
From: Alan Third @ 2001-05-21 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh users list

On Sun, May 20, 2001 at 10:51:17PM +0200, Thomas K?hler wrote:

> As I'm also running Debian unstable (aka sid), my line in /etc/inittab
> may be of help. Here it is:
>
> T1:23:respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS1 38400 vt510
> #                                  ^^^^^ ^^^^^- you should change this
> #                                  |||||        to "vt220"
> #                                  +++++------- the line speed. 9600
> #                                               or 19200 may also be
> #                                               values you should try
> #                                               out if you run into
> #                                               problems

Thanks, I was missing the -L. I actually got it working the other day,
but I think I hit "r" instead of "L" and sent an email to Bart
Schaefer instead of the list.
--
Alan Third

Put your head in the microwave and give yourself a tan

* Re: DEC VT220 and zsh...
@ 2001-05-21 15:16 William H. Magill
From: William H. Magill @ 2001-05-21 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alan; +Cc: zsh-users

>   OK, I'm stumped. I got a DEC VT220, connected it to my internet
>   gateway box and stuck a getty on it. Everything is fine until I try to
>   run zsh, which doesn't seem to do anything.
>
>   I had to change my login shell to bash, which works happily. The only
>   thing I wasn't expecting is that $TERM is "linux" rather than "vt220",
>   could this be affecting zsh?

Sounds like you might need to put  <path-to>/zsh  into /etc/shells.

Generally speaking you will need to do your own setting of TERM to be
VT220.

The "linux" is probably your default entry in /etc/gettydefs.
If you have a REAL VT220, and the getty is "smart" the VT220 will
answerback, its terminal type... but don't hold your breath, that
technology never worked consistantly in multi-vendor setups.

Otherwise, you will have to play games with tset. (man tset).

--
                        www.tru64unix.compaq.com
                              www.tru64.org

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill                          Senior Systems Administrator
Information Services and Computing (ISC)   University of Pennsylvania
Internet: magill@isc.upenn.edu             magill@acm.org
http://www.isc-net.upenn.edu/~magill/