zsh-users
* .. completion
@ 2001-06-16 17:52 Danijel Tasov
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Danijel Tasov @ 2001-06-16 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hello World,

I'm an enthused zsh-user.

I have a Problem with compctl. I don't use any completion
control, but there is something that bothers me.

When I type /us it will be completed to /usr/ when pressing TAB,
but .. will not be completed to ../ like in tcsh. I'm sure there
is one, but compctl is very cryptic to me, and this is the only
thing I miss.

bye,
Da.Ta.

--
Danijel Tasov, danielt@camelot.de. PGP-Fingerprint:
00 3A 65 0C 47 66 46 27  E2 AF 3A C4 1C 2E E8 EE

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 524 bytes --]

* Re: .. completion
@ 2001-06-16 20:40 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2001-06-16 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Danijel Tasov, zsh-users

On Jun 16,  7:52pm, Danijel Tasov wrote:
}
} When I type /us it will be completed to /usr/ when pressing TAB,
} but .. will not be completed to ../ like in tcsh.

Zsh tends to ignore '..' on the grounds that you only have to type one
character either way, so it's not a hardship to type '/' instead of TAB.

In 4.0.1 with the `compinit' system installed, you can fix this in some
contexts by using:

    zstyle ':completion:*' special-dirs ".."

I say "in some contexts" because the special-dirs style applies only when
completing path names or directories, not when completing file names.  So
the above style will allow '..' to complete to '../' after 'cd', but not
after 'ls' (for example).  This is probably a bug.

To zsh-workers:

In _path_files, the special-dirs style is looked up only as a string, but
the documentation says it may be either a string or a boolean.  Then the
string is used only if there's already a '/' on the line or if the -f or
-/ options were given.

However, in _files, _path_files is always called with -g option, so the
special-dirs style doesn't work at all for _files.

* Re: .. completion
@ 2001-06-16 21:38 ` Danijel Tasov
From: Danijel Tasov @ 2001-06-16 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Danijel Tasov; +Cc: zsh-users

Hello,

On Sat, Jun 16, 2001 at 07:52:36PM +0200, Danijel Tasov wrote:
> When I type /us it will be completed to /usr/ when pressing TAB,
> but .. will not be completed to ../ like in tcsh. I'm sure there
                                                   ^
There is a sentence missing :) Something like, "Is there any
solution?" or so ;)

> is one, but compctl is very cryptic to me, and this is the only

bye,
Da. "To drunken to write" Ta.

--
Danijel Tasov, danielt@camelot.de. PGP-Fingerprint:
00 3A 65 0C 47 66 46 27  E2 AF 3A C4 1C 2E E8 EE
Neues bei CameloT - http://www.camelot.de/news/
# Homer: "Can't talk. Eating."

@ 2001-06-18  7:50 ` Sven Wischnowsky
From: Sven Wischnowsky @ 2001-06-18  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Danijel Tasov wrote:

> Hello World,
>
> I'm an enthused zsh-user.
>
> I have a Problem with compctl. I don't use any completion
> control, but there is something that bothers me.
>
> When I type /us it will be completed to /usr/ when pressing TAB,
> but .. will not be completed to ../ like in tcsh. I'm sure there
> is one, but compctl is very cryptic to me, and this is the only
> thing I miss.

Bart already pointed you to the new completion system.

If, for some reason, you can't use that, the way to make completion with
compctl accept `..' as a possible match (which in turn makes it add the
slash) is to add `-g ".."' to all your compctl's that generate filenames
as possible matches (using the -f, -/ or -g options -- in the last case
you can just add the `..' to -g's already existing argument).

Bye
  Sven