zsh-users
* zsh: completion over nsf file systems
@ 2001-08-14 16:07 virgil adumitroaie
From: virgil adumitroaie @ 2001-08-14 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

i have started using zsh recently. all is wonderful (i am very happy
about
xterm title bars, works wonders for gnome users) except one difference
between zsh and bash which i cannot eliminate.
file name completion works under bash even for nsf file systems but not
under zsh.
for example, issuing

ls /hosts/other_machine/exported_directory/<TAB>

under bash I would be able to see the subdirectories, but under zsh not.
is this something that can be configured with compctl and if yes, how?

thank you,

virgil

* Re: zsh: completion over nsf file systems
@ 2001-08-14 16:47 ` Vincent Lefevre
From: Vincent Lefevre @ 2001-08-14 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

In article <3B794CDE.F771561D@cfdrc.com>,
   virgil adumitroaie <va@cfdrc.com> wrote:

> ls /hosts/other_machine/exported_directory/<TAB>

> under bash I would be able to see the subdirectories, but under zsh not.

I have no problem under NFS. Perhaps it's due to automounted directories?

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vincent@vinc17.org> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.org/> - 100%
validated HTML - Acorn Risc PC, Yellow Pig 17, Championnat International des

* Re: zsh: completion over nsf file systems
@ 2001-08-14 18:47 ` Will Yardley
From: Will Yardley @ 2001-08-14 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

virgil adumitroaie wrote:
> i have started using zsh recently. all is wonderful (i am very happy about
> xterm title bars, works wonders for gnome users) except one difference
> between zsh and bash which i cannot eliminate.  file name completion works
> under bash even for nsf file systems but not under zsh.  for example,
> issuing

> ls /hosts/other_machine/exported_directory/<TAB>

> under bash I would be able to see the subdirectories, but under zsh not.
> is this something that can be configured with compctl and if yes, how?

you might want to try messing around with your options; i really doubt that
the problem has anything to do with nfs - we use nfs to mount netapps and
other filesystems on almost all of our machines, and i've never had a problem
with completion.

you might try:
bash_auto_list
no_menu_complete
no_auto_menu

that's what i have.

are there a lot of files in the directory you're trying to look at?  i was
testing this out and it did take a while to get to:
zsh: do you wish to see all 266 possibilities (67 lines)?

- so it might just be taking a while to figure out all the files / directory
names.  if you are using color ls or 'ls -F' or anything you might try
/bin/ls /hosts/other_machine/exported_directory/<TAB>
and see if that's any speedier.

Sintax error in config file! (line 378)
aborted!