zsh-users
* New mail notification not working
@ 2001-08-19 18:39 Russell Hoover
From: Russell Hoover @ 2001-08-19 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

I'm using zsh-4.0.2 on NetBSD-1.5.1 with mutt-1.2.5i (mutt compiled with S-Lang).
I'm using the maildir mailbox format with mutt.

In my .zshenv I have:

export MAIL=$HOME/.mailspool/rj
export MAILPATH=$HOME/.mailspool/rj:$HOME/Mail/trash'?New mail in trashbox.'

and I cannot get the "You have new mail." to show in zsh.

If the following is relevant (though I don't think it should be), I also have:

in .zprofile:
biff n

and in .zshrc:
setopt NO_MAIL_WARNING

Any advice welcome.

--
                                 // rj@panix.com //
                     GUI -- what your computer becomes after

* Re: New mail notification not working
@ 2001-08-19 18:55 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2001-08-19 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russell Hoover, zsh-users

On Aug 19,  2:39pm, Russell Hoover wrote:
} Subject: New mail notification not working
}
} I'm using the maildir mailbox format with mutt.
} and I cannot get the "You have new mail." to show in zsh.

If you built zsh yourself, try recompiling it with --enable-maildir-support.

Otherwise, zsh only checks for files that have changed -- that is, files
whose modify time is the same as or more recent than their access time.  If
the newly created files in your maildir "new" subdirectory don't have that
property, zsh won't report them as new mail.

* --enable-maildir-support question
@ 2001-09-08  8:27   ` Russell Hoover
From: Russell Hoover @ 2001-09-08  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Sun 08/19/01 at 06:55 PM +0000,
Bart Schaefer <schaefer@brasslantern.com> wrote:

> If you built zsh yourself, try recompiling it with --enable-maildir-support.
>
> Otherwise, zsh only checks for files that have changed -- that is, files
> whose modify time is the same as or more recent than their access time.  If
> the newly created files in your maildir "new" subdirectory don't have that
> property, zsh won't report them as new mail.

What exactly does zsh do differently once you *have* compiled in the
maildir-support option?  Doing a search on "maildir" in man zshall turns up
no information about --enable-maildir-support.  I have the option set, and
zsh is still giving no mail notification.

export MAIL=$HOME/.mailspool/rj
export MAILCHECK=1

mailpref=$HOME/Mail
mailpath=($HOME/.mailspool/rj
            $mailpref/z/'?New zsh mail.'
            $mailpref/m/'?New mutt mail.'
            $mailpref/trash/'?New mail in trash.')

--
                                 // rj@panix.com //
                    Dopeler effect: The tendency of stupid ideas

* Re: --enable-maildir-support question
@ 2001-09-08  9:00     ` Geoff Wing
From: Geoff Wing @ 2001-09-08  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Russell Hoover <rj@panix.com> typed:
:
:export MAIL=$HOME/.mailspool/rj
:export MAILCHECK=1
:mailpref=$HOME/Mail
:mailpath=($HOME/.mailspool/rj
:            $mailpref/z/'?New zsh mail.'
:            $mailpref/m/'?New mutt mail.'
:            $mailpref/trash/'?New mail in trash.')

Firstly, ``mailpath'' overrides ``MAIL''.
Secondly, Bart mentioned that multiple Maildir spools don't work
properly (yet).  A single Maildir spool does.

I use ``MAIL'' and not ``mailpath'' (because that's also what mutt
looks at) but also setting ``mailpath'', e.g.

% mailpath=('/path/to/my/Maildir?Postman called. New mail has arrived!!')

worked just fine too.

Regards,
--
Geoff Wing  <gcw@pobox.com>
rxvt stuff  <gcw@rxvt.org>

* Re: --enable-maildir-support question
@ 2001-09-09 18:30       ` Russell Hoover
From: Russell Hoover @ 2001-09-09 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Sat 09/08/01 at 07:00 PM +1000, Geoff Wing <gcw@pobox.com> wrote:

> Firstly, ``mailpath'' overrides ``MAIL''.

Okay.  But I think the manual could be more direct about this.
Instead of saying:

            MAIL   If this parameter is set and <em>mailpath</em> is not set,
                   the shell looks for mail in the specified file.

I think it would be more explicit if it said:

           MAIL   If this parameter is set, the shell looks for mail
                  in the specified file.  But if <em>mailpath</em> is set,
                  the shell will look in the file specified by <em>mailpath</em>.

> Secondly, Bart mentioned that multiple Maildir spools don't work
> properly (yet).  A single Maildir spool does.

(You may have already seen my question to him about that.)

Actually, I saw your message before I saw Bart's.  I was looking here
(in zsh-users) for a response, and, although Bart sent his response to
me directly, it managed to go into a mailbox other than my inbox.
Also, he appears to have cc:'d it to zsh-workers, but not zsh-users:

>	From: Bart Schaefer <schaefer@brasslantern.com>
>	Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 17:11:12 +0000
>	Subject: Re: New mail notification not working
>	To: Russell Hoover <rj@panix.com>
>	Cc: zsh-workers@sunsite.dk
>	Comments: In reply to Russell Hoover <rj@panix.com>
>	        "Re: New mail notification not working" (Sep  7, 11:52am)

(No big deal.  I thought my question could use a re-phrasing anyway.)

> I use ``MAIL'' and not ``mailpath'' (because that's also what mutt
> looks at) but also setting ``mailpath'', e.g.

Since I use mutt, I should probably be doing the same thing.

> % mailpath=('/path/to/my/Maildir?Postman called. New mail has arrived!!')
> worked just fine too.

That's good news, but I'm stuck on something -- still not getting either
a defined (as per in your mailpath setting) or a default notification
message with:

export MAIL=$HOME/.mailspool/rj

OR with:

mailpath=($HOME/.mailspool/rj'?New mail has arrived.')

though it seems as though I should be . . .
--
                                 // rj@panix.com //