zsh-users
* can't find termcap info
@ 2001-09-18 12:25 Vincent Lefevre
From: Vincent Lefevre @ 2001-09-18 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

When I use TERM=nettle, I get the following error:

zsh: can't find termcap info for nettle

though there is a "nettle" entry in my .termcap file and .terminfo
directory. Where's the problem?

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vincent@vinc17.org> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.org/> - 100%
validated HTML - Acorn Risc PC, Yellow Pig 17, Championnat International des

* Re: can't find termcap info
@ 2001-09-18 12:38 ` Will Yardley
From: Will Yardley @ 2001-09-18 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> When I use TERM=nettle, I get the following error:
>
> zsh: can't find termcap info for nettle
>
> though there is a "nettle" entry in my .termcap file and .terminfo
> directory. Where's the problem?

i don't understand this fully (perhaps bart or someone can give a more
depth explanation), but i believe that unless you specifically compile
zsh with ncurses (or have a version that was compiled to work with
ncurses) it uses some sort of system of its own.

you might try putting:
export TERMINFO=/etc/terminfo (or whatever your terminfo stuff is)
or
export TERMCAP=/etc/termcap (terminfo is better if it works)

you might also have to re-export $TERM - like:

if [ "$TERM" = "nettle" ]; then
	export TERM=nettle
fi

i'd mess around with $TERMCAP, $TERMINFO and $TERM and see what works
best.  i had a question about something similar a few weeks ago, so you
might check the recent archives for responses on the issue from those
wiser than i.

Sintax error in config file! (line 378)
aborted!

GPG Public Key:
http://infinitejazz.net/will/pgp/

* Re: can't find termcap info
@ 2001-09-18 12:59   ` Vincent Lefevre
From: Vincent Lefevre @ 2001-09-18 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 05:38:13 -0700, Will Yardley wrote:
> i don't understand this fully (perhaps bart or someone can give a more
> depth explanation), but i believe that unless you specifically compile
> zsh with ncurses (or have a version that was compiled to work with
> ncurses) it uses some sort of system of its own.

I could recompile zsh, but on some accounts, it would be annoying
to install another version in my $HOME.

> you might try putting:
> export TERMINFO=/etc/terminfo (or whatever your terminfo stuff is)

This doesn't change anything (concerning zsh).

> or
> export TERMCAP=/etc/termcap (terminfo is better if it works)

greux:~> export TERMCAP=$HOME/.termcap                                <14:54:42
greux:~> TERM=nettle                                                  <14:54:55
rlogin: connection closed.

Why???

> you might also have to re-export $TERM - like:
>
> if [ "$TERM" = "nettle" ]; then
> 	export TERM=nettle
> fi

This doesn't solve the problem.

--

@ 2001-09-18 13:25     ` Will Yardley
From: Will Yardley @ 2001-09-18 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> Will Yardley wrote:

> I could recompile zsh, but on some accounts, it would be annoying
> to install another version in my $HOME.

well it won't be too helpful to me, but perhaps indicating the version
of zsh and compile options (if known) and other pertinent information
might help.  have you tried this in any other shells?  are you sure that
the termcap and / or terminfo info for your terminal type is correct?
i've never ran into / seen this setting, nor did a quick google search
turn up anything...

> > you might try putting:
> > export TERMINFO=/etc/terminfo (or whatever your terminfo stuff is)
>
> This doesn't change anything (concerning zsh).
>
> > or
> > export TERMCAP=/etc/termcap (terminfo is better if it works)
>
> greux:~> export TERMCAP=$HOME/.termcap                                <14:54:42
> greux:~> TERM=nettle                                                  <14:54:55
> rlogin: connection closed.
>
> Why???

what does the 'nettle' section of $HOME/.termcap look like? is the
terminfo directory in your home dir as well (in /home/.terminfo/ or
something)?

it sounds like there's an error in the termcap description or something.
does the same thing happen if you do:
% bash
bash$ export TERMINFO=[location of terminfo directory]
bash$ export TERM=nettle

or does that work?  i think that unless zsh is compiled with ncurses you
have to use $TERMCAP (again check the archives if you'd like to hear
someone explain it in more excruciating detail).

@ 2001-09-18 14:51       ` Vincent Lefevre
From: Vincent Lefevre @ 2001-09-18 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 06:25:37 -0700, Will Yardley wrote:
> well it won't be too helpful to me, but perhaps indicating the version
> of zsh

4.0.2 with history patch.

> and compile options (if known) and other pertinent information
> might help.

zsh configuration
-----------------
zsh version               : 4.0.2
host operating system     : i686-pc-linux-gnu
source code location      : .
compiler                  : gcc
preprocessor flags        : -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64
executable compiler flags :  -Wall -Wno-implicit -Wmissing-prototypes -O2
executable linker flags   :   -s -rdynamic
library flags             : -ldl -lnsl -ltermcap -lm  -lc
installation basename     : zsh
binary install path       : /users/spaces/lefevre/i686-linux/bin
man page install path     : /users/spaces/lefevre/man
info install path         : /users/spaces/lefevre/info
functions install path    : /users/spaces/lefevre/share/zsh/4.0.2/functions
See config.modules for installed modules and functions.

greux:~> uname -a                                                     <16:29:34
Linux greux.loria.fr 2.2.17 #13 SMP Tue Dec 12 15:26:51 MET 2000 i686 unknown

>  have you tried this in any other shells?

No problem with bash.

>  are you sure that the termcap and / or terminfo info for your
> terminal type is correct?

It works with Mutt, less and emacs. But well, zsh doesn't say that it is
incorrect; it says that it can't find the termcap info.

BTW, I added the following lines in terminfo.src (distributed with
ncurses), after the rxvt entry:

nettle|nettle terminal emulator (RISC OS),
	rmkx=, smkx=, use=rxvt,

then reinstalled the terminfo and termcap databases in my $HOME.

> what does the 'nettle' section of $HOME/.termcap look like?

nettle|nettle terminal emulator (RISC OS):\
	:ke=:ks=:tc=rxvt:

> is the terminfo directory in your home dir as well (in
> /home/.terminfo/ or something)?

greux:~> ll ~/.terminfo                                               <16:36:33
lrwxrwxrwx    1 lefevre  spaces         14 Sep 18 12:50 /users/spaces/lefevre/.terminfo -> share/terminfo/
greux:~> ll share/terminfo/n/nettle                                   <16:36:42
-rw-r--r--    1 lefevre  spaces       1595 Sep 18 13:18 share/terminfo/n/nettle

> it sounds like there's an error in the termcap description or something.
> does the same thing happen if you do:
> % bash
> bash$ export TERMINFO=[location of terminfo directory]
> bash$ export TERM=nettle
>
> or does that work?

No problem with bash (I don't even need to set TERMINFO).

> i think that unless zsh is compiled with ncurses you have to use
> $TERMCAP (again check the archives if you'd like to hear someone
> explain it in more excruciating detail).

The archives say to use the TERMCAP variable. But here it closes
the connection!

--

@ 2001-09-18 15:53         ` a normal guy
From: a normal guy @ 2001-09-18 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vincent Lefevre; +Cc: zsh-users

Hello:

First apologies for not including the text of your messages, but
my email editor garbled them up.

I was seeing something very similar to the behavior you are
describing.  The problem for me was in the behavior of tgetent.
Zsh assumes it will return a 1 if the entry is found in the
termcap library, 0 if not found, and -1 if a problem occurred
accessing the termcap information.

Under HP-UX, the tgetent return codes recently changed so it
returns OK (0) for success and ERR (-1) for error.  Hence the
changes invalidated the code written with the old assumptions.

I am not sure if HP-UX is following a new POSIX standard or what
by implementing these changes, but it may be possible that linux
has made a similar change.

The behavior I saw exactly was that zsh would still run under a
default termcap set, but much of the functionality was lost.

Hope that helps.

Scott

* Re: can't find termcap info
@ 2001-09-18 16:13           ` Vincent Lefevre
From: Vincent Lefevre @ 2001-09-18 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 08:53:39 -0700, a normal guy wrote:
> I was seeing something very similar to the behavior you are
> describing.  The problem for me was in the behavior of tgetent.
> Zsh assumes it will return a 1 if the entry is found in the
> termcap library, 0 if not found, and -1 if a problem occurred
> accessing the termcap information.

Here, until I installed ncurses 5.2 (which is after I compiled zsh),
tgetent didn't seem to exist; at least, there was no man page about
this function.

--

@ 2001-09-18 16:28             ` a normal guy
From: a normal guy @ 2001-09-18 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

--- Vincent Lefevre <vincent@vinc17.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 08:53:39 -0700, a normal guy wrote:
> > I was seeing something very similar to the behavior you are
> > describing.  The problem for me was in the behavior of
> > tgetent.  Zsh assumes it will return a 1 if the entry is
> > found in the
> > termcap library, 0 if not found, and -1 if a problem
occurred
> > accessing the termcap information.
>
> Here, until I installed ncurses 5.2 (which is after I compiled
> zsh), tgetent didn't seem to exist; at least, there was no man
> page about this function.

I can find it with `man tgetent' and `man termcap'.  Have you
tried both of them?

Scott

* Re: can't find termcap info
@ 2001-09-18 17:04               ` Vincent Lefevre
From: Vincent Lefevre @ 2001-09-18 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

In article <20010918162851.48436.qmail@web12507.mail.yahoo.com>,
   a normal guy <ee_in_co@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I can find it with `man tgetent' and `man termcap'.  Have you
> tried both of them?

Yes. I get the man page from ncurses 5.2 (installed in my home), but
nothing in the system directories; and "locate tgetent" gives nothing.
The termcap man page doesn't contain the word "tgetent".

--

@ 2001-09-18 19:19             ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2001-09-18 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Sep 18,  5:38am, Will Yardley wrote:

> i don't understand this fully (perhaps bart or someone can give a more
> depth explanation), but i believe that unless you specifically compile
> zsh with ncurses (or have a version that was compiled to work with
> ncurses) it uses some sort of system of its own.

No, that's not it.

Zsh's configure looks for the smallest set of libraries that will provide
support for ZLE.  (As in smallest memory footprint, or at least that was
the original intent.)  Curses is the heavyweight of the bunch, so that is
avoided unless nothing else will work (or unless you ask configure to use
it via --with-curses-terminfo).  Zsh's configure looks for termcap first,
then terminfo, and finally curses, except on some specific platforms where
that search order is known to be sub-optimal.

So the chances are that if termcap exists and you didn't pass any options
to configure, then termcap is the only thing that zsh will understand.

On Sep 18,  2:59pm, Vincent Lefevre wrote:

> > export TERMCAP=/etc/termcap (terminfo is better if it works)
>
> greux:~> export TERMCAP=$HOME/.termcap                                <14:54:42
> greux:~> TERM=nettle                                                  <14:54:55
> rlogin: connection closed.
>
> Why???

Here's what you do:  Log in to greux.  Start a second copy of zsh inside the
first one, so that you're no longer working directly with the login shell.
Then try the above again and see if (a) the connection still closes or (b)
you get some error messages when the "nested" shell exits.

Then tell us about it.

On Sep 18,  4:51pm, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> >  are you sure that the termcap and / or terminfo info for your
> > terminal type is correct?
>
> It works with Mutt, less and emacs. But well, zsh doesn't say that it is
> incorrect; it says that it can't find the termcap info.

It's entirely possible that Mutt, less, emacs, and bash are using terminfo
(which is OK) while zsh is using termcap (which has something wrong).

> nettle|nettle terminal emulator (RISC OS):\
> 	:ke=:ks=:tc=rxvt:

Are you sure there's an rxvt entry?  What happens if you do

TERM=rxvt

?  Is there any value you can assign to TERM that does *not* produce the
warning?

On Sep 18,  6:13pm, Vincent Lefevre wrote:

> Here, until I installed ncurses 5.2 (which is after I compiled zsh),
> tgetent didn't seem to exist; at least, there was no man page about
> this function.

Try "man curs_termcap".  However, tgetent() is unlikely to be the problem.

* Re: can't find termcap info
@ 2001-09-18 20:39               ` Vincent Lefevre
From: Vincent Lefevre @ 2001-09-18 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

In article <010918121941.ZM8023@candle.brasslantern.com>,
   Bart Schaefer <schaefer@brasslantern.com> wrote:

> Here's what you do:  Log in to greux.  Start a second copy of zsh inside
> the first one, so that you're no longer working directly with the login
> shell. Then try the above again and see if (a) the connection still closes
> or (b) you get some error messages when the "nested" shell exits.

greux:~> zsh                                                          <19:06:20
zshenv...
zshrc...
The tty is frozen
greux:~> export TERMCAP=$HOME/.termcap                                <22:28:50
greux:~> TERM=nettle                                                  <22:29:06
zsh: segmentation fault (core dumped)  zsh
You have new mail.
greux:~[Failed 139]>                                                  <22:29:12

> It's entirely possible that Mutt, less, emacs, and bash are using terminfo
> (which is OK) while zsh is using termcap (which has something wrong).

Mutt uses ncurses (which uses terminfo, AFAIK).

Less seems to use termcap, but the curses too. In the Makefile:
LIBS =  -lncurses

> > nettle|nettle terminal emulator (RISC OS):\
> > 	:ke=:ks=:tc=rxvt:

> Are you sure there's an rxvt entry?

Yes, that's why I added the line based on rxvt.

> What happens if you do

> TERM=rxvt

> ?

No problem, this is what I usually use.

> Is there any value you can assign to TERM that does *not* produce the
> warning?

I don't understand the question.

--

@ 2001-09-18 22:10                 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2001-09-18 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vincent Lefevre, zsh-users

On Sep 18, 10:39pm, Vincent Lefevre wrote:

> greux:~> zsh                                                          <19:06:20
> zshenv...
> zshrc...
> The tty is frozen
> greux:~> export TERMCAP=$HOME/.termcap                                <22:28:50
> greux:~> TERM=nettle                                                  <22:29:06
> zsh: segmentation fault (core dumped)  zsh

OK, that's pretty unpleasant.  Unfortunately, I'm not able to reproduce
this, so you'll have to at least get us a stack trace with gdb and send it.

If $HOME/.termcap isn't too huge, include that too.

> > Is there any value you can assign to TERM that does *not* produce the
> > warning?
>
> I don't understand the question.

That's OK, you answered it when you said that TERM=rxvt works.

* Re: can't find termcap info
@ 2001-09-18 22:50                   ` Vincent Lefevre
From: Vincent Lefevre @ 2001-09-18 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 15:10:18 -0700, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> On Sep 18, 10:39pm, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> > greux:~> export TERMCAP=$HOME/.termcap
> > greux:~> TERM=nettle
> > zsh: segmentation fault (core dumped)  zsh
>
> OK, that's pretty unpleasant.  Unfortunately, I'm not able to reproduce
> this, so you'll have to at least get us a stack trace with gdb and send it.

(gdb) backtrace
#0  chunk_alloc (ar_ptr=0x2abf1d60, nb=24) at malloc.c:2814
#1  0x2ab5c5ce in __libc_malloc (bytes=16) at malloc.c:2696
#2  0x2aae1f09 in _init () from /lib/libtermcap.so.2
#3  0x2aae2328 in _init () from /lib/libtermcap.so.2
#4  0x2aae2b3b in _init () from /lib/libtermcap.so.2
#5  0x2aae2bc8 in tgetent () from /lib/libtermcap.so.2
#6  0x806fdf8 in init_term ()
#7  0x80865f9 in termsetfn ()
#8  0x8083e5c in setstrvalue ()
#9  0x80849a6 in setsparam ()
#10 0x805fc03 in untokenize ()
#11 0x805e232 in execode ()
#12 0x805e329 in execlist ()
#13 0x805e1b1 in execode ()
#14 0x806f318 in loop ()
#15 0x807172c in zsh_main ()
#16 0x80516ca in main ()
#17 0x2ab1b9cb in __libc_start_main (main=0x80516b4 <main>, argc=1,
    argv=0x7ffff674, init=0x8050c34 <_init>, fini=0x80a1794 <_fini>,
    rtld_fini=0x2aab5e60 <_dl_fini>, stack_end=0x7ffff66c)
    at ../sysdeps/generic/libc-start.c:92

> If $HOME/.termcap isn't too huge, include that too.

It's too huge: 748544 KB.

I generated it with "tic -C -T terminfo.src", where terminfo.src is the
file distributed with ncurses 5.2 + a couple of lines for the nettle
terminal.

--

@ 2001-09-18 23:17                     ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2001-09-18 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vincent Lefevre, zsh-users

On Sep 19, 12:50am, Vincent Lefevre wrote:

> (gdb) backtrace
> #0  chunk_alloc (ar_ptr=0x2abf1d60, nb=24) at malloc.c:2814
> #1  0x2ab5c5ce in __libc_malloc (bytes=16) at malloc.c:2696
> #2  0x2aae1f09 in _init () from /lib/libtermcap.so.2
> #3  0x2aae2328 in _init () from /lib/libtermcap.so.2
> #4  0x2aae2b3b in _init () from /lib/libtermcap.so.2
> #5  0x2aae2bc8 in tgetent () from /lib/libtermcap.so.2

As I feared, it's crashing in the termcap library itself; there's nothing
we can directly do about this.

> > If $HOME/.termcap isn't too huge, include that too.
>
> It's too huge: 748544 KB.
>
> I generated it with "tic -C -T terminfo.src"

Hrm.  I'd be a bit suspicious of this; it's entirely possible that there
are termcap strings that the ncurses tgetent would accept but which the
(older) libtermcap tgetent would choke on.

Try either (a) copy /etc/termcap and append your nettle def'n to that,
or (b) edit down your ~/.termcap to contain just the rxvt and nettle
def'ns (and any that rxvt may depend on).

Either that, or you're going to have to "configure --with-curses-terminfo"
and rebuild zsh.

* Re: can't find termcap info
@ 2001-09-19 10:10                       ` Vincent Lefevre
From: Vincent Lefevre @ 2001-09-19 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 16:17:08 -0700, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> > > If $HOME/.termcap isn't too huge, include that too.
> >
> > It's too huge: 748544 KB.

It was 748544 *bytes* of course. :)

> Either that, or you're going to have to "configure --with-curses-terminfo"
> and rebuild zsh.

I'll go for --with-curses-terminfo as it should solve all my problems.