zsh-users
* About completion w/ tar.bz2-files
@ 2001-10-14  4:42 Juhapekka Tolvanen
From: Juhapekka Tolvanen @ 2001-10-14  4:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

http://zsh.sunsite.dk/Guide/zshguide06.html

tar xzf archive.tar.gz ^D

It seems, that it does not work with tar.bz2 -files yet. And support for
tar.dct -files wold be nice, too.

http://www.rkeene.org/devel/dact/

I do not subscribe to these list yada yada yada...

--
Juhapekka "naula" Tolvanen * University of Jyväskylä * juhtolv@st.jyu.fi
http://www.st.jyu.fi/~juhtolv/spam.html * * * "STRAIGHT BUT NOT NARROW!"

* Re: About completion w/ tar.bz2-files
@ 2001-10-14 12:37 ` Clint Adams
From: Clint Adams @ 2001-10-14 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

> It seems, that it does not work with tar.bz2 -files yet. And support for

It has for quite some time.  What version are you using?

> tar.dct -files wold be nice, too.
>
> http://www.rkeene.org/devel/dact/

Is there a version of tar that supports dact?

* Re: About completion w/ tar.bz2-files
@ 2001-10-14 12:59   ` Juhapekka Tolvanen
From: Juhapekka Tolvanen @ 2001-10-14 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 14 Oct 2001, +15:38:04 EEST (UTC +0300),
Clint Adams <clint@zsh.org> pressed some keys:

> > It seems, that it does not work with tar.bz2 -files yet. And support for
>
> It has for quite some time.  What version are you using?

zsh 4.0.2 (i586-pc-linux-gnu)

> > tar.dct -files wold be nice, too.
> >
> > http://www.rkeene.org/devel/dact/
>
> Is there a version of tar that supports dact?

Not really. But it is possible to use dact with tar:

Pack:

tar --use-compress-program=dact -cvvvf roms.tar.dct roms

Extract:

dact -cd roms.tar.dct | tar xvvf -

--

@ 2001-10-14 16:04     ` Bart Schaefer
       [not found]       ` <3BC9B856.8080003@davh.dk>
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2001-10-14 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Oct 14,  3:59pm, Juhapekka Tolvanen wrote:
}
} On Sun, 14 Oct 2001, +15:38:04 EEST (UTC +0300),
} Clint Adams <clint@zsh.org> pressed some keys:
}
} > > It seems, that it does not work with tar.bz2 -files yet.
} >
} > It has for quite some time.  What version are you using?
}
} zsh 4.0.2 (i586-pc-linux-gnu)

You'll have to explain a little further why you think it doesn't work
with .bz2 files.  Completion of names from inside the archive is keyed
off the extraction arguments in the tar command, not off the file name,
so `tar Ixf foo.tar.bz2 <TAB>' will complete files from the .bz2, and
`tar zxf foo.tar.gz <TAB>' will complete files from the .gz.

You have to use the 1-letter short forms of the tar options; the _tar
function does not yet handle the long-word forms.

@ 2001-10-14 18:16         ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2001-10-14 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dennis Haney; +Cc: zsh-users

On Oct 14,  6:07pm, Dennis Haney wrote:
}
} Bart Schaefer wrote:
}
} >so `tar Ixf foo.tar.bz2 <TAB>' will complete files from the .bz2, and
}
} I? bzip2 is j, thus tar xjf <tab>

It depends which version of tar that you have ...

tar (GNU tar) 1.13.17
[...]
  -I, --bzip2                        filter the archive through bzip2
[...]

The tar completer interprets any of I, j, and y as options that mean to
use bzip2'd archives.

* Re: About completion w/ tar.bz2-files
@ 2001-10-15 17:20           ` Phil Pennock
From: Phil Pennock @ 2001-10-15 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On 2001-10-14 at 18:16 +0000, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> The tar completer interprets any of I, j, and y as options that mean to
> use bzip2'd archives.

Just in case ... if writing new scripts, it's advisable to use 'j',
which various tar programs are settling on, migrating away from 'y'.

Hrm, OpenBSD tar(1) uses -I with a parameter for something else:
-----------------------------< cut here >-------------------------------
 -I file    This is a positional argument which reads the names of
            files to archive or extract from the given file,
            one per line.
-----------------------------< cut here >-------------------------------

Unfortunately, some quick googling hasn't turned up any evidence to back
up my assertion re '-j'.  :^(  Ah, hold on, FreeBSD 4 box, tar(1) manual
page, states:
-----------------------------< cut here >-------------------------------
COMPATIBILITY
     The -y is a FreeBSD localism.  The GNU tar maintainer has now choosen -j
     as the offical bzip2(1) compression option in GNU tar 1.13.18 and later.
     The -I option is for compatibility with Solaris's tar.

--
Rifles, muskets, long-bows and hand-grenades are inherently democratic
weapons.  A complex weapon makes the strong stronger, while a simple

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 187 bytes --]

* Re: About completion w/ tar.bz2-files
@ 2001-10-15 17:23             ` Will Yardley
From: Will Yardley @ 2001-10-15 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users