zsh-users
* Updating command cache
@ 2002-01-19  8:44 Jesper Holmberg
From: Jesper Holmberg @ 2002-01-19  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh-users List

I've found that when I install a new package (I'm running Debian), the
newly available commands (i.e. the executables that've just been
installed) are not available from the prompt. I can run the command by
specifying its complete path, but zsh doesn't find it on its own.

I imagine this is because there is some sort of cache with the available
executables, so my question is: how do I make zsh update this cache? I
realize it's a small matter to just exit and restart the shell, but I was
wondering how to do this without exiting.

TIA,

Jesper

--
          Jesper Holmberg            |"But how can |
  jesper.holmberg@enst-bretagne.fr   | one be warm |

* Re: Updating command cache
@ 2002-01-19  9:35 ` Drew Perttula
From: Drew Perttula @ 2002-01-19  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jesper Holmberg; +Cc: zsh-users

Run 'rehash'- that's exactly what it does.

@ 2002-01-20  7:54 ` Christoph Lange
From: Christoph Lange @ 2002-01-20  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jesper Holmberg; +Cc: Zsh-users List

> I've found that when I install a new package (I'm running Debian), the
> newly available commands (i.e. the executables that've just been
> installed) are not available from the prompt. I can run the command by
> specifying its complete path, but zsh doesn't find it on its own.
>
> [...] how do I make zsh update this cache?

rehash (same as hash -r).

Christoph

--
"Who the $&%*! is General Failure --