zsh-users
* Comand-line editing
@ 2002-01-19  8:48 Jesper Holmberg
From: Jesper Holmberg @ 2002-01-19  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh-users List

With Emacs key bindings, the use of C-space and M-w makes it possible to
"copy and paste" (yank) a part of the already written line. Is there also
a way to "cut" the selected part?

In Emacs, this would be with C-w, but this is "delete word" with the
default bindings in zsh. How can I do this?

TIA,

Jesper

--
          Jesper Holmberg            |"But how can |
  jesper.holmberg@enst-bretagne.fr   | one be warm |

* Re: Comand-line editing
@ 2002-01-19 18:36 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2002-01-19 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jesper Holmberg, Zsh-users List

On Jan 19,  9:48am, Jesper Holmberg wrote:
}
} In Emacs, [kill-region] would be with C-w, but this is [kill-word] with
} the default bindings in zsh. How can I do this?

Do you mean, "How can I do this without re-binding C-w?"

	M-x kill-region RET

Do you mean, "How can I re-bind C-w to do this?"

	bindkey '\C-w' kill-region

It should be obvious how to bind some other key to kill-region.

Note that this may have some unexpected behavior, because the mark is
always implicitly set to the beginning of the current command line; so
if you've not typed C-space, kill-region acts like backward-kill-line.

The reason C-w is kill-word in the default bindings is for compatibility
with the default settings of the old BSD Unix TTY driver, but of course
GNU readline (hence bash) does the same, so it's probably too late to
change it now.

* Re: Comand-line editing
@ 2002-01-19 22:42   ` Jesper Holmberg
From: Jesper Holmberg @ 2002-01-19 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh-users List

* On Sat Jan 19, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> Do you mean, "How can I do this without re-binding C-w?"
>
> 	M-x kill-region RET

Oh, I had no idea you could use emacs-style long commands in the line
editor. Thank you, that was just what I was looking for.

Jesper