Hello Thank you, Sven, for your comments. > > #compdef fping > > > > > > _arguments -C \ > > ... > > '-u[show targets that are unreachable]:' \ > > && ret=0 > > Shouldn't the follwing be replaced by an argument-spec calling _hosts > (it's the same code anyway) and the `&& ret=0' be removed (it's not > defined as a local and not initialised to `1')? I removed the '&& ret=0'. I followed the recipe from another completion function... hence the extra cruft. Likewise I have some extra colons in the options. You mean something like: _wanted hosts expl 'host name' _hosts That does work better..... I'm attaching the next version...... criticism is welcome. Do I still need this line? > > local expl hosts I am just starting to get to grips with the new completion stuff after putting it off for years. You've all done a great job with the default completions that most of the job is done. Thanks. Anthony. -- Anthony R Iano-Fletcher Anthony.Iano-Fletcher@nih.gov http://cbel.cit.nih.gov/~arif CBEL, CIT, NIH, Bethesda, MD, USA. Phone: (+1) 301 402 1741.