* Nick Croft [2002-03-20 17:16:00 +1100]: >Hi. Another question. You help has been much appreciated. > >I learnt in an article by Dominic Mitchell "A Case for the Z Shell", >that M-. can be used as a shortcut for the last argument of the previous >command. [snip] >Question: Is this dependent on some setting in the .zshrc, or a setopt >command? I had it working a few days ago. I think it's the greatest >thing since sliced bread. > >But it's gone, and I suspect I've overridden whatever it depended on. Well, I'm pretty new to zsh, but I may be able to field this one. % bindkey ^[. "^[." insert-last-word % So it looks like you just need to run something like: bindkey "." insert-last-word Note that the ^[ represents an actual escape character. So before you hit M-. you need to hit Ctrl-v so zsh inserts it literally. By the way, thanks for pointing out this feature! Oh, and while I'm posting anyway, is there a way to disable zsh's reports that mail has been read in a mailbox? I don't want to disable the reports of _new_ mail, just the ones where it says "the mail in xyz has been read". Hmm, looks like I managed to break my sig rotation script. Maybe I shouldn't have switched interactive-use shell, scripting shell, and editor at the same time. :) -- This block should never execute. Bug!