zsh-users
* Options are not set
@ 2002-05-07 16:37 Thorsten Haude
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Thorsten Haude @ 2002-05-07 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hi,

I try to set a number of options in my .zshrc, some of which are not
set. I can't find anything amiss with the way I try to set them, so
I'm confused.

- - - Schnipp - - -
setopt pushd_to_home		#	pushd w/o arguments cds to $HOME
setopt pushd_silent			#	don't print directory stack on pushd/popd
setopt auto_pushd			#	cd pushs dir into stack
DIRSTACKSIZE=20				#	number of dir stack entries

setopt cdable_vars			#	look for named directories on cd
setopt auto_list			#	automatically list ambiguous completions
setopt auto_param_slash		#	append / on directories

setopt hist_ignore_all_dups	#	do not enter duplicates into history
setopt append_history		#	append, don't overwrite history
setopt inc_append_history   #   append incrementally, not on exit

setopt long_list_jobs		#	list jobs in long format
setopt auto_resume			#	single word resumption of existing jobs

setopt rec_exact			#	recognize exact matches even if ambiguous
- - - Schnapp - - -

- - - Schnipp - - -
hde@acp1575> setopt
autopushd
autoresume
cdablevars
histignorealldups
interactive
longlistjobs
monitor
pushdsilent
pushdtohome
recexact
shinstdin
zle
- - - Schnapp - - -

These are missing:
- - - Schnipp - - -
setopt auto_list			#	automatically list ambiguous completions
setopt auto_param_slash		#	append / on directories
setopt append_history		#	append, don't overwrite history
setopt inc_append_history   #   append incrementally, not on exit
- - - Schnapp - - -

What am I missing?

tia,
Thorsten
--
Aber jeder erbärmliche Tropf, der nichts in der Welt hat, darauf er stolz sein
könnte, ergreift das letzte Mittel auf die Nation, der er gerade angehört, stolz

* Re: Options are not set
@ 2002-05-07 16:37 ` Will Yardley
From: Will Yardley @ 2002-05-07 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Thorsten Haude wrote:

> - - - Schnapp - - -
>
> These are missing:
> - - - Schnipp - - -
> setopt auto_list			#	automatically list ambiguous completions
> setopt auto_param_slash		#	append / on directories
> setopt append_history		#	append, don't overwrite history
> setopt inc_append_history   #   append incrementally, not on exit
> - - - Schnapp - - -
>
> What am I missing?

just out of curiostiy, does your version of zsh support these options?

what does 'echo $ZSH_VERSION' say?

--
Will Yardley
input: william < @ hq . newdream . net . >

* Re: Options are not set
@ 2002-05-07 16:51 ` Thorsten Haude
From: Thorsten Haude @ 2002-05-07 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hi,

* Thorsten Haude <zsh@thorstenhau.de> [02-05-07 18:37]:
>What am I missing?
Sorry:
- - - Schnipp - - -
hde@acp1575> zsh --version
zsh 4.0.4 (i686-pc-linux-gnu)
- - - Schnapp - - -
running on Woody.

Thorsten
--
Every person shall have the right freely [...] to inform himself
without hindrance from generally accessible sources.

* Re: Options are not set
@ 2002-05-07 17:00 ` Roman Neuhauser
From: Roman Neuhauser @ 2002-05-07 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

> From: Thorsten Haude <zsh@thorstenhau.de>
> To: zsh-users@sunsite.dk
> Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 18:37:03 +0200
> Subject: Options are not set
>
> Hi,
>
> I try to set a number of options in my .zshrc, some of which are not
> set. I can't find anything amiss with the way I try to set them, so
> I'm confused.
>
> - - - Schnipp - - -
> setopt pushd_to_home		#	pushd w/o arguments cds to $HOME
> setopt pushd_silent			#	don't print directory stack on pushd/popd
> setopt auto_pushd			#	cd pushs dir into stack
> DIRSTACKSIZE=20				#	number of dir stack entries
>
> setopt cdable_vars			#	look for named directories on cd
> setopt auto_list			#	automatically list ambiguous completions
> setopt auto_param_slash		#	append / on directories
>
> setopt hist_ignore_all_dups	#	do not enter duplicates into history
> setopt append_history		#	append, don't overwrite history
> setopt inc_append_history   #   append incrementally, not on exit
>
> setopt long_list_jobs		#	list jobs in long format
> setopt auto_resume			#	single word resumption of existing jobs
>
> setopt rec_exact			#	recognize exact matches even if ambiguous
> - - - Schnapp - - -
>
> - - - Schnipp - - -
> hde@acp1575> setopt
> autopushd
> autoresume
> cdablevars
> histignorealldups
> interactive
> longlistjobs
> monitor
> pushdsilent
> pushdtohome
> recexact
> shinstdin
> zle
> - - - Schnapp - - -
>
> These are missing:
> - - - Schnipp - - -
> setopt auto_list			#	automatically list ambiguous completions
> setopt auto_param_slash		#	append / on directories
> setopt append_history		#	append, don't overwrite history
> setopt inc_append_history   #   append incrementally, not on exit
> - - - Schnapp - - -
>
> What am I missing?

    from the manual:

    When listing options (by `setopt', `unsetopt', `set -o' or `set
    +o'), those turned on by default appear in the list prefixed with
    `no'. Hence (unless KSH_OPTION_PRINT is set), `setopt' shows all
    options whose settings are changed from the default.

    check the missing options in the manual, they're on by default.

--
FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE
6:57PM up 8 days, 9:22, 13 users, load averages: 0.03, 0.05, 0.00

* Re: Options are not set
@ 2002-05-07 17:28   ` Thorsten Haude
From: Thorsten Haude @ 2002-05-07 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hi,

* Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@mail.cz> [02-05-07 19:00]:
>    When listing options (by `setopt', `unsetopt', `set -o' or `set
>    +o'), those turned on by default appear in the list prefixed with
>    `no'. Hence (unless KSH_OPTION_PRINT is set), `setopt' shows all
>    options whose settings are changed from the default.
>
>    check the missing options in the manual, they're on by default.
Sorry, that means that my information is lacking.

However, that also means that something else is wrong, which I even
have a harder time seeing. The options are not set, at least I get not
the results I expect.
- No history is written
- If I want to start a program in subdir 'source' and enter
	sour<tab>
I get
	source _
not the
	source/_
I expect.
- auto_list seems to work, I was not thouroug enough here.

I browsed in zshoptions for anything related to directories and the
history, but couldn't find anything.

Thanks for your time!

Thorsten
--
Nobody will ever need more than 640 kB RAM.     -- Bill Gates, 1983
Windows XP requires 64 MB RAM.                  -- Bill Gates, 2001

* Re: Options are not set
@ 2002-05-07 17:28     ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2002-05-07 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thorsten Haude; +Cc: zsh-users

On Tue, 7 May 2002, Thorsten Haude wrote:

> - No history is written

Did you set the HISTSIZE and SAVEHIST variables?

> - If I want to start a program in subdir 'source' and enter
> 	sour<tab>
> I get
> 	source _
> not the
> 	source/_
> I expect.

That's because there's a built-in command named "source", so zsh assumes
that's what you mean.

* Re: Options are not set
@ 2002-05-07 18:25       ` Thorsten Haude
From: Thorsten Haude @ 2002-05-07 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hi,

* Bart Schaefer <schaefer@brasslantern.com> [02-05-07 19:28]:
>On Tue, 7 May 2002, Thorsten Haude wrote:
>> - No history is written
>Did you set the HISTSIZE and SAVEHIST variables?
No, $SAVEHIST is not set.
$HISTFILE was also missing.

I must say I'm surprised that these are not set by default.

>> - If I want to start a program in subdir 'source' and enter
>> 	sour<tab>
>> I get
>> 	source _
>> not the
>> 	source/_
>> I expect.
>That's because there's a built-in command named "source", so zsh assumes
>that's what you mean.
Duh! I never use source, I always try to call source/nedit, and I
seldom try to call anything else this way.
Yes, that works alright too for any other directories.

Thanks for your help!

Thorsten
--
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

* Re: Options are not set
@ 2002-05-07 18:27         ` Will Yardley
From: Will Yardley @ 2002-05-07 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Thorsten Haude wrote:

> >That's because there's a built-in command named "source", so zsh assumes
> >that's what you mean.

> Duh! I never use source, I always try to call source/nedit, and I
> seldom try to call anything else this way.
> Yes, that works alright too for any other directories.

if you really want to use that feature for the directory 'source' and
don't use the 'source' builtin ever, you could probably put:
disable source

in your .zshrc

aura% disable source
aura% type source
source not found
aura% mkdir source
aura% source
aura% pwd
/home/william/source
aura% enable source
aura% type source
source is a shell builtin

if you really wanted to get fancy, you could probably write a small
function to call the builtin source but only if an argument is given.

--

@ 2002-05-07 18:28       ` Thorsten Haude
From: Thorsten Haude @ 2002-05-07 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hi,

* Bart Schaefer <schaefer@brasslantern.com> [02-05-07 19:28]:
>On Tue, 7 May 2002, Thorsten Haude wrote:
>> - No history is written
>Did you set the HISTSIZE and SAVEHIST variables?
Now I even read the FAQ. Apologies for wasting your time.

Thorsten
--
You're not supposed to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face
reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or who says it.