zsh-users
* cygwin + /dev/stderr
@ 2003-01-19 23:13 Le Wang
From: Le Wang @ 2003-01-19 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh users list

Hi all,

I use /dev/stderr in my scripts profusely.  Now that I
started using cygwin, these scripts would generally
fail.  I understand that Bash has built in /dev/*
handling for cygwin, is there any plans for ZSh to
develop similar features?

What's the best way for me to handle this without
modifying all of my scripts?

Thanks.

--
Le

* Re: cygwin + /dev/stderr
@ 2003-01-20  5:56 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2003-01-20  5:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh users list

On Jan 19,  6:13pm, Le Wang wrote:
}
} I use /dev/stderr in my scripts profusely.  Now that I
} started using cygwin, these scripts would generally
} fail.
}
} What's the best way for me to handle this without
} modifying all of my scripts?

You can try:

    alias -g /dev/stderr=/dev/fd/2

} I understand that Bash has built in /dev/*
} handling for cygwin, is there any plans for ZSh to
} develop similar features?

There is not, but zsh already has builtin handling of /dev/fd/N.

Note that neither bash nor zsh can help if you are passing /dev/stderr or
/dev/fd/N as a filename argument to a command, rather than using it as the
target of a redirection.

* RE: cygwin + /dev/stderr
@ 2003-01-20 11:36 ` Borzenkov Andrey
From: Borzenkov Andrey @ 2003-01-20 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Le Wang', 'Zsh users list'

> Hi all,
>
> I use /dev/stderr in my scripts profusely.  Now that I
> started using cygwin, these scripts would generally
> fail.  I understand that Bash has built in /dev/*
> handling for cygwin, is there any plans for ZSh to
> develop similar features?

/dev/stderr is not and never has been portable. Any script that relies on
that is flawed as you just discovered.

> What's the best way for me to handle this without
> modifying all of my scripts?

The best way would still be to modify your scripts to avoid this problem in
future :) Who knows, may be you will use another Unix someday.

What version of Cygwin are you using? I have vague memory that Cygwin
emulates /dev/std* as well but may be wrong here.

-andrej

* Re: cygwin + /dev/stderr
@ 2003-01-25  4:49   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2003-01-25  4:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 02:36:13PM +0300, Borzenkov Andrey wrote:
>What version of Cygwin are you using? I have vague memory that Cygwin
>emulates /dev/std* as well but may be wrong here.

Unfortunately, cygwin doesn't emulate /dev/stderr, although it wouldn't
be hard to do.  It might make sense to just add 'self' and 'fd' to the
/proc hierarchy like linux does.

I'll add it to the 'to-do' list.

cgf
(Mr. Cygwin)