zsh-users
* Debugging a test
@ 2003-10-09 12:10 Mads Martin Joergensen
From: Mads Martin Joergensen @ 2003-10-09 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hello people,

When running V01zmodload.ztst in an environment with a profiling enabled
gcc, zsh hangs burning 99.9% CPU. Adding an strace to the process gives
no output at all.

So I was wondering how to enable some kind of debug info to the module
in order to have it e.g. print how far it gets, in order to nail down
what causes the loop?

--
Mads Martin Joergensen, http://mmj.dk
"Why make things difficult, when it is possible to make them cryptic

* Re: Debugging a test
@ 2003-10-09 12:23 ` Dominic Mitchell
From: Dominic Mitchell @ 2003-10-09 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mads Martin Joergensen; +Cc: zsh-users

On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 02:10:08PM +0200, Mads Martin Joergensen wrote:
> Hello people,
>
> When running V01zmodload.ztst in an environment with a profiling enabled
> gcc, zsh hangs burning 99.9% CPU. Adding an strace to the process gives
> no output at all.
>
> So I was wondering how to enable some kind of debug info to the module
> in order to have it e.g. print how far it gets, in order to nail down
> what causes the loop?

If you've got it installed, try ltrace instead of strace.

-Dom

* Re: Debugging a test
@ 2003-10-09 12:50   ` Mads Martin Joergensen
From: Mads Martin Joergensen @ 2003-10-09 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dominic Mitchell; +Cc: zsh-users

* Dominic Mitchell <dom@happygiraffe.net> [Oct 09. 2003 14:24]:
> > When running V01zmodload.ztst in an environment with a profiling enabled
> > gcc, zsh hangs burning 99.9% CPU. Adding an strace to the process gives
> > no output at all.
> >
> > So I was wondering how to enable some kind of debug info to the module
> > in order to have it e.g. print how far it gets, in order to nail down
> > what causes the loop?
>
> If you've got it installed, try ltrace instead of strace.

Same effect. Nothing happens, no output at all.

--

@ 2003-10-09 13:21     ` Cosmo
From: Cosmo @ 2003-10-09 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mads Martin Joergensen; +Cc: zsh-users

Mads Martin Joergensen wrote:

> * Dominic Mitchell <dom@happygiraffe.net> [Oct 09. 2003 14:24]:
>
>>>When running V01zmodload.ztst in an environment with a profiling
>
> enabled
>
>>>gcc, zsh hangs burning 99.9% CPU. Adding an strace to the process gives
>>>no output at all.
>>>
>>>So I was wondering how to enable some kind of debug info to the module
>>>in order to have it e.g. print how far it gets, in order to nail down
>>>what causes the loop?
>>
>>If you've got it installed, try ltrace instead of strace.
>

> Same effect. Nothing happens, no output at all.

You're in a tight loop somewhere, not making any library or system calls.
Attach to the process with a debugger and get a stack trace.

Cosmo