zsh-users
* (Newbie) perldoc ESC display trouble
@ 2004-01-05 14:52 Richard Jolly
From: Richard Jolly @ 2004-01-05 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hi,

I've recently switched to zsh on cygwin. I get display trouble in the form of expanded escape characters, ie ESC[1m Some Text [0m, when using perldoc.

For example:

> perldoc Getopt::Long
Getopt::Long(3)       User Contributed Perl Documentation      Getopt::Long(3)

ESC[1mNAMEESC[0m
       Getopt::Long - Extended processing of command line options

ESC[1mSYNOPSISESC[0m

The escaped sections should be dispalyed as bold.

Any suggestions, pointers to documentation, etc, very welcome,

TIA,

Richard

* Re: (Newbie) perldoc ESC display trouble
@ 2004-01-06 16:06 Richard Jolly
From: Richard Jolly @ 2004-01-06 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wayne Davison; +Cc: zsh-users

On Monday, January 05, 2004, at 04:31PM, Wayne Davison <wayned@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

>On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 02:52:55PM +0000, Richard Jolly wrote:
>> I've recently switched to zsh on cygwin. I get display trouble in the
>> form of expanded escape characters, ie ESC[1m Some Text [0m, when
>> using perldoc.
>
>Perldoc is running "less", which defaults to displaying the control
>characters visibly.  It needs the -R option to allow it to display ANSI
>control sequences directly to the terminal.  You can type the option
>after perldoc/less is running to test that this fixes the problem for
>you, and then set it in your environment in your .zshrc (and set a few
>other options while you're at it) for a permanent solution:
>
>    export LESS=mqeisz-2XR

Thanks - this works perfectly. I like the window scrolling adjustment as well.

Much appreciated,

Richard