I am not totally sure what it is called, but I want to build a variable name dynamically, from the contents of another variable. That is, I have: ----- Begin script ----- barcontents="bar contents" baz="bar" echo $barcontents # <---- effect I want echo ${${baz}contents} # <---- how I want to get there ----- End script ----- I get this error: bad substitution I think the answer involves the (P) flag, as in: echo ${${(P)baz}contents} But that dies with the same error. I am running Debian unstable, zsh version 4.0.9. Thanks, Omen -- I used up all my sick days, so I'm calling in dead.