Hi, I found the following line in Posix (Shell Command Language, Pattern Matching Notation, Patterns Matching a Single Character): A bracket expression starting with an unquoted circumflex character produces unspecified results. That would mean that you should not use '.[^.]*' to find hidden files. Instead it is stated to use '.[!.]*', which does not work in Zsh: yooden@eumel % ls .[!.]* zsh: event not found: .] ('.[\!.]*' works though.) I sense a disturbance in the Force here. Why does Zsh not follow Posix here? What am I missing? Thorsten -- A future startup with no patents of its own will be forced to pay whatever price the giants choose to impose. That price might be high: Established companies have an interest in excluding future competitors. - Bill Gates