zsh-users
* How to generate a list of numbers without 'seq'?
@ 2004-03-18 20:52 DervishD
From: DervishD @ 2004-03-18 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh Users

    Hi all :)

    I want to generate (well, I don't want, is just curiosity) a list
of numbers in the shell but without using 'seq'. Namely, I want this
command (just an example):

    print -l `seq 0 10`

    entirely using Zsh. How can I replace the 'seq'???

    Thanks in advance ;))

    Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado

--
Linux Registered User 88736

* Re: How to generate a list of numbers without 'seq'?
@ 2004-03-18 21:12 ` Clint Adams
From: Clint Adams @ 2004-03-18 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh Users

>     print -l `seq 0 10`
>
>     entirely using Zsh. How can I replace the 'seq'???

print -l {0..10}

* Re: How to generate a list of numbers without 'seq'?
@ 2004-03-19  9:58   ` DervishD
From: DervishD @ 2004-03-19  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clint Adams; +Cc: Zsh Users

    Hi Clint :)

 * Clint Adams <clint@zsh.org> dixit:
> >     print -l `seq 0 10`
> >     entirely using Zsh. How can I replace the 'seq'???
> print -l {0..10}

    This is more similar to the solution I was trying using <X-Y>,
which doesn't seem to work if it cannot be expanded :( But IIRC, I've
used <X-Y> syntax to generate list of numbers, but I don't remember
how, when, etc.

    BTW I missed the {N1..N2} syntax under brace expansion O:)

    Thanks a lot for your answer :)

@ 2004-03-19 16:34     ` Dan Nelson
From: Dan Nelson @ 2004-03-19 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clint Adams, Zsh Users

In the last episode (Mar 19), DervishD said:
>     Hi Clint :)
>
>  * Clint Adams <clint@zsh.org> dixit:
> > >     print -l `seq 0 10`
> > >     entirely using Zsh. How can I replace the 'seq'???
> > print -l {0..10}
>
>     This is more similar to the solution I was trying using <X-Y>,
> which doesn't seem to work if it cannot be expanded :( But IIRC, I've
> used <X-Y> syntax to generate list of numbers, but I don't remember
> how, when, etc.

<x-y> is pattern matching, so it only matches existing filenames;
{x..y} is parameter expansion so it generates its own values.  If you
have a LOT of numbers you want to generate, {x..y} will suck up memory,
so incrementing and printing a counter variable in a loop is better.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com

* Re: How to generate a list of numbers without 'seq'?
@ 2004-03-20 10:00       ` DervishD
From: DervishD @ 2004-03-20 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Nelson; +Cc: Clint Adams, Zsh Users

    Hi Dan :)

 * Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com> dixit:
> > > print -l {0..10}
> >     This is more similar to the solution I was trying using <X-Y>,
> > which doesn't seem to work if it cannot be expanded :( But IIRC, I've
> > used <X-Y> syntax to generate list of numbers, but I don't remember
> > how, when, etc.
> <x-y> is pattern matching, so it only matches existing filenames;

    Is there a way of making it work in string environment or
something like that (a mechanism similar to the use of globbing flags
in pattern matching at parameter expansion)?

> {x..y} is parameter expansion so it generates its own values.  If
> you have a LOT of numbers you want to generate, {x..y} will suck up
> memory, so incrementing and printing a counter variable in a loop
> is better.

    So for general use, when you don't know in advance how many
numbers you want to generate, is better to use the variable in a
loop.

    Thanks for the information :))

@ 2004-03-21  3:54         ` Dan Nelson
From: Dan Nelson @ 2004-03-21  3:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clint Adams, Zsh Users

In the last episode (Mar 20), DervishD said:
> Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com> dixit:
> > >     This is more similar to the solution I was trying using <X-Y>,
> > > which doesn't seem to work if it cannot be expanded :( But IIRC, I've
> > > used <X-Y> syntax to generate list of numbers, but I don't remember
> > > how, when, etc.
> > <x-y> is pattern matching, so it only matches existing filenames;
>
>     Is there a way of making it work in string environment or
> something like that (a mechanism similar to the use of globbing flags
> in pattern matching at parameter expansion)?

It should work any time zsh does pattern matching:

  $ [[ 4 == <1-5> ]] && echo yes || echo no
  yes
  $ [[ 6 == <1-5> ]] && echo yes || echo no
  no

including case statements and ${var%%pattern} searches.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com

* Re: How to generate a list of numbers without 'seq'?
@ 2004-03-21 12:06           ` DervishD
From: DervishD @ 2004-03-21 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Nelson; +Cc: Clint Adams, Zsh Users

    Hi Dan :)

 * Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com> dixit:
> >     Is there a way of making it work in string environment or
> > something like that (a mechanism similar to the use of globbing flags
> > in pattern matching at parameter expansion)?
> It should work any time zsh does pattern matching:
[...]
> including case statements and ${var%%pattern} searches.

    I knew that, but I thought it could be used to generate numbers.
Obviously, I didn't recall correctly :) Thanks for all your help :)