zsh-users
* Using zftp with a non-standard port
@ 2004-03-20 17:38 Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 2004-03-20 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Is there a way to get zftp to connect using a non-standard port?  I
have a special-purpose FTP server sitting on a port other than 21,
and I'd like to access it via zftp.

Thanks in advance.

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@asfast.com

* Re: Using zftp with a non-standard port
@ 2004-03-22 19:50 ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2004-03-22 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Lloyd Zusman wrote:
> Is there a way to get zftp to connect using a non-standard port?

No, that's never been added; there was never any call.  Part of the
problem is that zftp was specifically written to avoid needing options
to the commands.

--
Peter Stephenson <pws@pwstephenson.fsnet.co.uk>
Work: pws@csr.com

* Re: Using zftp with a non-standard port
@ 2004-03-22 23:06   ` Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 2004-03-22 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Peter Stephenson <pws@pwstephenson.fsnet.co.uk> writes:

> Lloyd Zusman wrote:
>> Is there a way to get zftp to connect using a non-standard port?
>
> No, that's never been added; there was never any call.  Part of the
> problem is that zftp was specifically written to avoid needing options
> to the commands.

Well, instead of an option, how about an optional port appended to
the host after a colon.  If so, then either of the two following
items could work:

  host
  host:port

I could come up with a suitable patch for implementing this capability,
if anyone is interested.

--

@ 2004-03-23 13:00     ` Clint Adams
From: Clint Adams @ 2004-03-23 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lloyd Zusman; +Cc: zsh-users

>   host:port

I seem to recall the colon causing problems for IPv6 users.  Not sure
what ever became of that.

* Re: Using zftp with a non-standard port
@ 2004-03-23 17:42     ` Drew Perttula
From: Drew Perttula @ 2004-03-23 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lloyd Zusman; +Cc: zsh-users, drewp

> > Lloyd Zusman wrote:

> Well, instead of an option, how about an optional port appended to
> the host after a colon.  If so, then either of the two following
> items could work:
>
>   host
>   host:port
>
> I could come up with a suitable patch for implementing this capability,
> if anyone is interested.

I'm interested, and I don't care if it's host:port or some other method. I
would eagerly use zftp to get files in and out of my zope servers.

It seems like zfopen already takes an option (although it has tricky
semantics). If the port choice were going to become an option, I'd
obviously like -p which I know from scp/ncftp.