zsh-users
* Proprositions for a useful categorization of zsh options?
@ 2004-04-21 10:11 Thorsten Kampe
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Thorsten Kampe @ 2004-04-21 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Dear fellow zsh junkies,

I am trying to categorize the current 141 zsh options for obvious
reasons. Unfortunately zshoptions(1) is no big help as it is just
alphabetically sorted. The Users' guide gives some limited
suggestions.

So these are my categories[1]:

* Compatibility
* Completion
    * ambigious
    * displaying
* Globbing
* History
* Miscellaneous (the "no category category")
* Pushd/Popd

Any suggestions for improvements are welcome...

* option "foo" should be in category "bar" instead of category "baz"?

* other reasonable categories?

* superfluous categories?

Thanks in advance,
Thorsten

[1]
# COMPATIBILITY
bsdecho
cshjunkieloops
cshjunkiequotes
cshnullcmd
ignorebraces
interactivecomments
ksharrays
kshautoload
kshoptionprint
kshtypeset
multios
posixbuiltins
promptbang
shfileexpansion
shnullcmd
shoptionletters
shwordsplit
singlelinezle

# COMPLETION
alwayslastprompt
alwaystoend
autoparamkeys
autoparamslash
autoremoveslash
completealiases
completeinword

# ambigious completions
autolist
automenu
bashautolist
beep
listambiguous
listbeep
menucomplete
recexact

# displaying completions
listpacked
listrowsfirst
listtypes

# GLOBBING
bareglobqual
caseglob
cshnullglob
extendedglob
glob
globassign
globcomplete
globdots
globsubst
kshglob
nomatch
nullglob
numericglobsort
shglob

# HISTORY
appendhistory
banghist
cshjunkiehistory
extendedhistory
histallowclobber
histbeep
histexpiredupsfirst
histfindnodups
histignorealldups
histignoredups
histignorespace
histnofunctions
histnostore
histreduceblanks
histsavenodups
histverify
incappendhistory
sharehistory

# MISCELLANEOUS
aliases
allexport
autocd
autocontinue
autonamedirs
autoresume
badpattern
bgnice
braceccl
cbases
cdablevars
chasedots
chaselinks
checkjobs
clobber
correct
correctall
dvorak
emacs
equals
errexit
errreturn
exec
flowcontrol
functionargzero
globalexport
globalrcs
hashcmds
hashdirs
hashlistall
hup
ignoreeof
interactive
localoptions
localtraps
login
longlistjobs
magicequalsubst
mailwarning
markdirs
monitor
notify
octalzeroes
overstrike
pathdirs
printeightbit
printexitvalue
privileged
promptcr
promptpercent
promptsubst
rcexpandparam
rcquotes
rcs
restricted
rmstarsilent
rmstarwait
shinstdin
shortloops
singlecommand
sunkeyboardhack
transientrprompt
typesetsilent
unset
verbose
vi
xtrace
zle

# PUSHD/POPD
autopushd
pushdignoredups
pushdminus
pushdsilent
pushdtohome

* Re: Proprositions for a useful categorization of zsh options?
@ 2004-04-21 10:22 ` Thomas Köhler
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Thomas Köhler @ 2004-04-21 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thorsten Kampe; +Cc: zsh-users

Hi Thorsten,

Thorsten Kampe wrote:
> Dear fellow zsh junkies,
>
> I am trying to categorize the current 141 zsh options for obvious
> reasons. Unfortunately zshoptions(1) is no big help as it is just
> alphabetically sorted. The Users' guide gives some limited
> suggestions.
>
> So these are my categories[1]:
>
> * Compatibility
> * Completion
>     * ambigious
>     * displaying
> * Globbing
> * History
> * Miscellaneous (the "no category category")
> * Pushd/Popd

I don't know which extra category to add, but I think the
"Miscellaneous" category is too long. Perhaps it can be
shortened?

> Thanks in advance,
> Thorsten

Ciao,
Thomas

--
 Thomas Köhler       Email:       jean-luc@picard.franken.de
     <><             WWW:           http://jeanluc-picard.de

* Re: Proprositions for a useful categorization of zsh options?
@ 2004-04-21 10:33 ` DervishD
From: DervishD @ 2004-04-21 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thorsten Kampe; +Cc: zsh-users

    Hi Thorsten :)

 * Thorsten Kampe <thorsten@thorstenkampe.de> dixit:
> I am trying to categorize the current 141 zsh options for obvious
> reasons.

    That's cool and VERY useful :)

> # COMPLETION
[...]
> # ambigious completions
[...]
> # displaying completions
[...]

    Personally I would remove the last two ones. IMHO is enough with
'COMPLETION' category.

> # HISTORY
[...]
> cshjunkiehistory

    I would put this one in the COMPATIBILITY category. It is for csh
junkies, no?

> # MISCELLANEOUS

    Surely this one can be categorized itself. Some suggestions:

> autocd
> autonamedirs
> cdablevars

    I would change the name POPD/PUSHD of the last category to simply
'DIRS' and put those three there. A couple more could be moved to
that 'DIRS' category.

    In addition to this, a whole bunch of options present in
'MISCELLANEOUS' category could be moved to another category, meaning
'options related to zsh internals', although that would be very
ambiguous :(( Now the misc category is simply too big and almost
renders the categorization useless :(

    Anyway, it's a pretty good work! :)

    Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado

--
Linux Registered User 88736

* Re: Proprositions for a useful categorization of zsh options?
@ 2004-04-21 11:16   ` Thorsten Kampe
From: Thorsten Kampe @ 2004-04-21 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

* Thomas Köhler (2004-04-21 12:22 +0100)
> Thorsten Kampe wrote:
>> I am trying to categorize the current 141 zsh options for obvious
>> reasons. Unfortunately zshoptions(1) is no big help as it is just
>> alphabetically sorted. The Users' guide gives some limited
>> suggestions.
>>
>> So these are my categories[1]:
>>
>> * Compatibility
>> * Completion
>>     * ambigious
>>     * displaying
>> * Globbing
>> * History
>> * Miscellaneous (the "no category category")
>> * Pushd/Popd
>
> I don't know which extra category to add, but I think the
> "Miscellaneous" category is too long. Perhaps it can be
> shortened?

Exactly - by putting "miscellaneous options" into existing or new
categories. The question is just, /where/ (as "miscellaneous" is just
an euphemism for "I don't have the slightest idea where to put it
else" :-))

Thorsten

* Re: Proprositions for a useful categorization of zsh options?
@ 2004-04-21 16:09   ` Thorsten Kampe
From: Thorsten Kampe @ 2004-04-21 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

* DervishD (2004-04-21 12:33 +0100)
> * Thorsten Kampe <thorsten@thorstenkampe.de> dixit:
>> I am trying to categorize the current 141 zsh options for obvious
>> reasons.
>
> That's cool and VERY useful :)
>
>> # COMPLETION # ambigious completions # displaying completions
>
> Personally I would remove the last two ones. IMHO is enough with
> 'COMPLETION' category.

I agree.

>> # HISTORY
> [...]
>> cshjunkiehistory
>
> I would put this one in the COMPATIBILITY category. It is for csh
> junkies, no?

I agree.

>> # MISCELLANEOUS
>
> Surely this one can be categorized itself. Some suggestions:
>
>> autocd autonamedirs cdablevars
>
> I would change the name POPD/PUSHD of the last category to simply
> 'DIRS' and put those three there.

Yes, "pushd/popd" is too specific compared to the the other ones who
are far more general..., but is "DIRS" the appropriate term? "Dealing
somehow with dirs" seems a bit vague to me...

> A couple more could be moved to that 'DIRS' category.

For instance?

> In addition to this, a whole bunch of options present in
> 'MISCELLANEOUS' category could be moved to another category,
> meaning 'options related to zsh internals'

Which options for instance?

> ( Now the misc category is simply too big and almost renders the
> categorization useless :(

My fight continues until the last miscellaneous option is categorised
elsewhere... ;-)!

Thorsten

* Re: Proprositions for a useful categorization of zsh options?
@ 2004-04-21 16:22 ` Nikolai Weibull
From: Nikolai Weibull @ 2004-04-21 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

* Thorsten Kampe <thorsten@thorstenkampe.de> [Apr 21, 2004 12:21]:
> So these are my categories[1]:
>
> * Compatibility
> * Completion
>     * ambigious
>     * displaying
> * Globbing
> * History
> * Miscellaneous (the "no category category")
> * Pushd/Popd

I have the following folding titles in my ~/.zsh/.zshrc

+---  7 lines: 4.1. Parameters and Shell Functionality
+---  9 lines: 4.2. Changing Directories
+--- 11 lines: 4.3. Shell Completion
+---  9 lines: 4.4. Shell Expansion and Globbing
+--- 11 lines: 4.5. History and History Expansion
+---  7 lines: 4.6. Job Control
+---  6 lines: 4.7. Shell Prompt
+---  6 lines: 4.8. ZLE
+---  8 lines: 4.9. Input and Output

I guess a Compatibility heading would be useful as well (as you have),
but I don't have one as I don't use any of those options (I mean,
seriously, who wants sh or csh when you can have zsh?).
	nikolai

::: page: www.pcppopper.org  :: fun atm: gf,lps,ruby,lisp,war3 :::

* Re: Proprositions for a useful categorization of zsh options?
@ 2004-04-21 16:42     ` Aidan Kehoe
From: Aidan Kehoe @ 2004-04-21 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thorsten Kampe; +Cc: zsh-users

 Ar an 21ú lá de mí 4, scríobh Thorsten Kampe :

 > > I would change the name POPD/PUSHD of the last category to simply
 > > 'DIRS' and put those three there.
 >
 > Yes, "pushd/popd" is too specific compared to the the other ones who
 > are far more general..., but is "DIRS" the appropriate term? "Dealing
 > somehow with dirs" seems a bit vague to me...

Well, I always read "dirs" as being short for the directory stack, and what
are push and pop, if not stack manipulation operations? "Changing
directories" is the better heading, though.

--
I don't care if it rains or freezes/'Long as I got my Plastic Jesus
Riding on the dashboard of my car.

* Re: Proprositions for a useful categorization of zsh options?
@ 2004-04-21 17:36   ` Thorsten Kampe
From: Thorsten Kampe @ 2004-04-21 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

* Nikolai Weibull (2004-04-21 18:22 +0100)
> * Thorsten Kampe <thorsten@thorstenkampe.de> [Apr 21, 2004 12:21]:
>> So these are my categories[1]:
>>
>> * Compatibility
>> * Completion
>>     * ambigious
>>     * displaying
>> * Globbing
>> * History
>> * Miscellaneous (the "no category category")
>> * Pushd/Popd
>
> I have the following folding titles in my ~/.zsh/.zshrc
>
> +---  7 lines: 4.1. Parameters and Shell Functionality
> +---  9 lines: 4.2. Changing Directories
> +--- 11 lines: 4.3. Shell Completion
> +---  9 lines: 4.4. Shell Expansion and Globbing
> +--- 11 lines: 4.5. History and History Expansion
> +---  7 lines: 4.6. Job Control
> +---  6 lines: 4.7. Shell Prompt
> +---  6 lines: 4.8. ZLE
> +---  8 lines: 4.9. Input and Output

Are the options that belong to that titles top secret ;-)? If you
could enumerate the respective options it would be useful to us all
who are interested...

Thorsten

* Re: Proprositions for a useful categorization of zsh options?
@ 2004-04-21 18:56     ` DervishD
From: DervishD @ 2004-04-21 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thorsten Kampe; +Cc: zsh-users

    Hi Thorsten :)

 * Thorsten Kampe <thorsten@thorstenkampe.de> dixit:
> >> autocd autonamedirs cdablevars
> > I would change the name POPD/PUSHD of the last category to simply
> > 'DIRS' and put those three there.
> Yes, "pushd/popd" is too specific compared to the the other ones who
> are far more general..., but is "DIRS" the appropriate term?

    Not at all. I have a gift to choose bad names O:))

> "Dealing somehow with dirs" seems a bit vague to me...

    You're right. A better name should be added.

> > A couple more could be moved to that 'DIRS' category.
> For instance?

    Don't remember right now, I saw a couple. But before that, a
proper name and description (and rationale) for the category must be
chosen.

> > In addition to this, a whole bunch of options present in
> > 'MISCELLANEOUS' category could be moved to another category,
> > meaning 'options related to zsh internals'
> Which options for instance?

    I don't have your original mail at hand, but I was referring to
options like 'errexit'. I'm afraid I cannot explain better what I
have in mind, specially in English O:)

> > ( Now the misc category is simply too big and almost renders the
> > categorization useless :(
> My fight continues until the last miscellaneous option is categorised
> elsewhere... ;-)!

    Nice ;))

@ 2004-04-21 19:00       ` DervishD
From: DervishD @ 2004-04-21 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aidan Kehoe; +Cc: Thorsten Kampe, zsh-users

    Hi Aidan :) Dia dhuit is correct? (I'm afraid I don't know much
gaelic?)

 * Aidan Kehoe <kehoea@parhasard.net> dixit:
>  > > I would change the name POPD/PUSHD of the last category to simply
>  > > 'DIRS' and put those three there.
>  > Yes, "pushd/popd" is too specific compared to the the other ones who
>  > are far more general..., but is "DIRS" the appropriate term? "Dealing
>  > somehow with dirs" seems a bit vague to me...
> Well, I always read "dirs" as being short for the directory stack, and what
> are push and pop, if not stack manipulation operations? "Changing
> directories" is the better heading, though.

    I was meaning 'things that has to do with dirs'. Obviously, as I
told in my last message to Thorsten, it is not a good name O:)

@ 2004-04-21 19:01     ` Nikolai Weibull
From: Nikolai Weibull @ 2004-04-21 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

* Thorsten Kampe <thorsten@thorstenkampe.de> [Apr 21, 2004 19:40]:
> > I have the following folding titles in my ~/.zsh/.zshrc
> >
> > +---  7 lines: 4.1. Parameters and Shell Functionality
> > +---  9 lines: 4.2. Changing Directories
> > +--- 11 lines: 4.3. Shell Completion
> > +---  9 lines: 4.4. Shell Expansion and Globbing
> > +--- 11 lines: 4.5. History and History Expansion
> > +---  7 lines: 4.6. Job Control
> > +---  6 lines: 4.7. Shell Prompt
> > +---  6 lines: 4.8. ZLE
> > +---  8 lines: 4.9. Input and Output
>
> Are the options that belong to that titles top secret ;-)? If you
> could enumerate the respective options it would be useful to us all
> who are interested...

Heh, sorry.  I once set every option in my ~/.zsh/.zshrc, but now I'm
keeping to only those options that differ from the default which
actually only come to 28 (if my quick count is correct).  That's a pretty
good job of setting decent defaults on your (i.e. the developers reading
this) side I must say.  Anyway, here's my setup (I've attached the whole
.zshrc for those interested):

# 4. Shell Options {{{1
# ================

# 4.1. Parameters and Shell Functionality {{{2
# ---------------------------------------

setopt noglobalexport		# don't be backwards compatible
setopt ignoreeof		# ignore EOF ('^D') (i.e. don't log out on it)

# 4.2. Changing Directories {{{2
# -------------------------

setopt autocd			# automatically cd to a directory if not cmd
setopt autopushd		# automatically pushd directories on dirstack
setopt pushdignoredups		# don't push dups on stack
setopt pushdsilent		# be quiet about pushds and popds

# 4.3. Shell Completion {{{2
# ---------------------

setopt automenu			# use menu completion after 2 tabs
setopt completeinword		# complete inside words
setopt correct			# try to correct spelling
setopt dvorak			# we are using dvorak so tell correction that
setopt nolistambiguous		# only list matches if ambiguous
setopt nolistbeep		# don't beep on ambiguous listings

# 4.4. Shell Expansion and Globbing {{{2
# ---------------------------------

setopt extendedglob		# don't use extended globbing (#, ~, ^)
setopt noequals                 # don't expand =cmd
				# TODO: do we really want this?
# setopt globdots		# don't require a dot ('.') to be specifically

# 4.5. History and History Expansion {{{2
# ----------------------------------

setopt extendedhistory		# save timestamps in history
setopt nohistbeep		# don't beep for erroneous history expansions
setopt histignorealldups	# don't ignore dups in history
setopt histignoredups		# ignore consecutive dups in history
setopt histnostore		# don't store history related functions
setopt incappendhistory		# incrementally add items to hist.

# 4.6. Job Control {{{2
# ----------------

setopt longlistjobs		# list jobs in long format
setopt nonotify			# report job status only before prompt printing

# 4.7. Shell Prompt {{{2
# -----------------

setopt promptsubst		# allow paramater, command, so on in prompt

# 4.8. ZLE {{{2
# --------

setopt nobeep			# don't beep on errors (in ZLE)

# 4.9. Input and Output {{{2
# ---------------------

setopt noflowcontrol		# don't use flow control (^S/^Q)
setopt printeightbit		# allow eight bit output for completion lists

# }}}2

# }}}1

enjoy,
	nikolai

::: page: www.pcppopper.org  :: fun atm: gf,lps,ruby,lisp,war3 :::

[-- Attachment #2: .zshrc --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 13251 bytes --]

# contents: zsh(1) user RC file.
# arch-tag: e275f609-4068-474e-9bea-c191ed6cdc7b
#
# Copyright (C) 2002 Nikolai Weibull <source@pcppopper.org>
#
# the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
# (at your option) any later version.
#
#
# along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
# Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA  02111-1307  USA

# 1. Parameters {{{1
# =============

# 1.1 Shell Parameters {{{2
# --------------------

                                # hosts to use for completion
hosts=(sourcecontrol.net lab.mdstud.chalmers.se grosse.mdstud.chalmers.se)
watch=(notme)			# users to monitor logins/logouts for

# }}}2

# 2. Limits {{{1
# =========

limit coredumpsize  30m		# limit core dumps to 30mb
limit stacksize	    8m		# limit stack to 8mb

# 3. Shell Settings {{{1
# =================

# 3.1. Shell Directories {{{2
# ----------------------

hash -d rg=~/src/cvs/ruby-gnome2
hash -d ned=~/src/\{projects\}/ned
hash -d pplib=~/src/\{projects\}/pplib
hash -d khz=~/src/ruby/kilohertz
hash -d context=/usr/share/texmf/tex/context

# }}}2

# 4. Shell Options {{{1
# ================

[...]

# 5. Terminal Settings {{{1
# ====================

# 5.1. Terminal Input {{{2
# -------------------

stty -ixon			# don't use flow control
stty pass8			# but do send 8-bit characters to terminal

unset TERMCAP

# 5.2. Terminal Output {{{2
# --------------------

				# disable audio bell
#case $TERM in
#  *screen*|rxvt|*xterm) echo -e -n "\033[10;0]\033[11;0]" ;;
#esac

# 5.3. Screen Title Updating {{{2
# --------------------------

_set_title ()
{
  case $TERM in
    screen*)
    print -nR $'\033k'$1$'\033'\\
    print -nR $'\033]0;'$2$'\a' ;;
  esac
}

precmd ()
{
  _set_title zsh "$PWD"
}

preexec ()
{
  emulate -L zsh
  local -a cmd;

  cmd=(${(z)1})
  _set_title $cmd[1]:t "$cmd[2,-1]"
}

# }}}2

# 6. Modules {{{1
# ==========

# 6.1. Default ZSH Modules {{{2
# ------------------------

zmodload -a zsh/stat stat	# provide `stat' command
zmodload -a zsh/zpty zpty	# provide pty manipulating command
zmodload -a zsh/zpprof zprof	# provide `zprof' command (profiling of funcs)
				# provide `mapfile' command when requested
zmodload -ap zsh/mapfile mapfile
zmodload -i zsh/complist 	# load completion listing extensions

# 6.2. ZFTP {{{2
# ---------

zmodload -a zsh/zmodload zftp 	# load zftp module
autoload -U zfinit		# initialize the whole `zftp' subsystem
zfinit
				# where we shall store our bookmarks
ZFTP_BMFILE="$ZDOTDIR/.zfbookmarks"
ZFTP_PREFS="PS"			# try passive, then sendport
ZFTP_TMOUT="60"			# timeout in seconds

export ZFTP_BMFILE ZFTP_PREFS ZFTP_TMOUT

# }}}2

# 7. Command-line Completion {{{1
# ==========================

# 7.1. Startup {{{2
# ------------

autoload -U colors 		# we need the colors for some formats below
colors
autoload -U compinit		# setup the new style completion system
compinit

# 7.2. Completion Styles {{{2
# ----------------------

				# turn off compctl-style completion support
zstyle ':completion:*' use-compctl false
				# host completion
zstyle '*' hosts $hosts
zstyle ':completion:*' squeeze-slashes yes
                                # disable equal subst
compdef -d -- -equal-

# 7.2.1. Caching {{{3

				# completion cache path
zstyle ':completion::complete:*' use-cache 1
zstyle ':completion::complete:*' cache-path $ZDOTDIR/cache/$HOST

# 7.2.2. Completers {{{3

				# list of different completers to use
zstyle ':completion:*' completer _complete _prefix _ignored
#_complete:-extended
zstyle ':completion::prefix-1:*' completer _complete
zstyle ':completion:incremental:*' completer _complete _correct
zstyle ':completion:predict:*' completer _complete
				# allow one error for every three characters
				# typed in approximate completer
zstyle -e ':completion:*:approximate:*' max-errors \
  'reply=($(( ($#PREFIX+$#SUFFIX)/3 )) numeric)'
zstyle ':completion:*:complete-extended:*' matcher 'r:|[.,_-]=* r:|=*'

# 7.2.3. Completer Options {{{3

				# match uppercase from lowercase
zstyle ':completion:*' matcher-list 'm:{a-z}={A-Z}'
				# offer indexes before parameters in subscripts
zstyle ':completion:*:*:-subscript-:*' tag-order indexes parameters
				# ignore completion functions we don't have
zstyle ':completion:*:functions' ignored-patterns '_*'
				# expand /h/p/.pr to /home/pcp/.procmailrc
zstyle ':completion:*' expand prefix suffix
				# insert all expansions for expand completer
zstyle ':completion:*:expand:*' tag-order all-expansions

# 7.2.4. Selection Display {{{3

				# menu completion with selection
#zstyle ':completion:*' menu yes=2 no=2
# select=2 select=long-list
zstyle ':completion:*:ignored:*' single-ignored menu

# 7.2.5. Specific Commands {{{3

zstyle ':completion:*' muttrc=~/.mutt/muttrc
zstyle ':completion:*:*:kill:*' menu yes select
zstyle ':completion:*:kill:*' force-list always
zstyle ':completion:*:rm:*' ignore-line yes
zstyle ':completion:*:*:(^rm):*:*files' ignored-patterns '*?.o' '*?.~*~' \
  '*?.class' '*?.swp' '*?.obj'
zstyle ':completion:*:cd:*' tag-order local-directories path-directories

# }}}3

# 7.3. Completion Formats and Messages {{{2
# ------------------------------------

if [[ -x $(whence dircolors) && -r $HOME/.dircolors/$TERM ]]; then
  eval $(dircolors -b $HOME/.dircolors/$TERM)
fi
case $TERM in
  screen*|xterm-256color)
  list_colors=(${(s.:.)LS_COLORS} tc=7 ma=${$(tput smso)//m/} ec=${$(tput sgr0)})
  list_colors[0]="lc=${$(tput setaf)//\%*/}"
  ;;
esac
				# add colors (like ls) to completions
zstyle ':completion:*:default' list-colors $list_colors
				# listing prompt (a la less)
zstyle ':completion:*:default' list-prompt \
  "%{$bg_no_bold[blue]%}-- More -- line[%l] match[%m] page[%p]%{$reset_color%}"
				# do verbose completion output
zstyle ':completion:*' verbose 'yes'
				# format of descriptions
zstyle ':completion:*:descriptions' format "%{$fg_bold[black]%}%d%{$reset_color%}:"
				# format of messages
zstyle ':completion:*:messages' format '%d'
				# format of warn
zstyle ':completion:*:warnings' format "%{$fg_no_bold[red]%}no matches for %d%{$reset_color%}"
				# corrections
zstyle ':completion:*:corrections' format "%{$fg_bold[black]%}%d%{$reset_color%} (errors: %{$fg_no_bold[red]%}%e%{$reset_color%})"
				# give option explanation
zstyle ':completion:*:options' description 'yes'
zstyle ':completion:*:options' auto-description "specify \`%d'"
zstyle ':completion:*:*:kill:*:processes' list-colors '=(#b) #([0-9]#)*=8=9'

# 7.4. Completion Groups {{{2
# ----------------------

				# empty group names
zstyle ':completion:*' group-name ''
				# give commands an ordering
zstyle ':completion:*:-command-' group-order builtins functions commands

# 7.5. Completion Function Usage {{{2
# ------------------------------

# 7.6. History Completion {{{2
# -----------------------

zstyle ':completion:*:history-words' stop yes
zstyle ':completion:*:history-words' remove-all-dups yes
zstyle ':completion:*:history-words' list no
zstyle ':completion:*:history-words' menu yes

# }}}2

# 8. ZLE Keybindings {{{1
# ==================

# 8.1. VI Command Mode {{{2
# --------------------

# 8.1.1. Movement {{{3

bindkey -a "t" down-line-or-history
bindkey -a "n" up-line-or-history
bindkey -a "s" vi-forward-char

# 8.1.2. Searching {{{3

bindkey -a "/" history-incremental-search-backward
bindkey -a "?" history-incremental-search-forward
bindkey -a "j" vi-find-next-char-skip
bindkey -a "J" vi-find-prev-char-skip
bindkey -a "k" vi-repeat-search
bindkey -a "K" vi-rev-repeat-search

# 8.1.3. Change {{{3

bindkey -a "L" vi-change-whole-line
bindkey -a "T" vi-join
bindkey -a "l" vi-substitute

# 8.1.4. Miscellaneous {{{3

bindkey -a "^C" clear-screen
bindkey -a "^L" redisplay
bindkey -a "^R" redo
bindkey -a "N" run-help
bindkey -a "u" undo
bindkey -a "~" vi-oper-swap-case

# }}}3

# 8.2. VI Insert Mode {{{2
# -------------------

# 8.2.1. Completion {{{3

bindkey "^D" list-choices
bindkey "^P" _history-complete-older
bindkey "^N" _history-complete-newer

# 8.2.4. Miscellaneous {{{3

bindkey "^F" describe-key-briefly
bindkey "^C" clear-screen
bindkey "^R" redisplay
bindkey "^_" undo
bindkey "^Q" push-line-or-edit
bindkey " " magic-space
bindkey "^H" backward-delete-char
bindkey "^W" backward-kill-word

# }}}3

# 8.3. Menu-select Mode {{{2
# ---------------------

bindkey -M menuselect '^N' accept-and-infer-next-history
bindkey -M menuselect 'h' vi-backward-char
bindkey -M menuselect 't' down-line-or-history
bindkey -M menuselect 'n' up-line-or-history
bindkey -M menuselect 's' vi-forward-char
bindkey -M menuselect '^_' undo

# }}}2

# 9. Function (Auto)loading {{{1
# =========================

# 9.1. Prompt Subsystem {{{2
# ---------------------

autoload -U promptinit		# load up the prompt theme system
promptinit			# and start it up
prompt lonestar			# finally, use our awesowe theme

# }}}2

# 10. Aliases {{{1
# ===========

# 10.1. Convenience Aliases/Macros {{{2
# --------------------------------

alias v='vimless'               # run vimless for v
alias vim='vim -X'
alias view='v'                  # run vimless through v for view
alias mv='nocorrect mv'		# don't correct spelling for `mv'
alias cp='nocorrect cp'		# don't correct spelling for `cp'
alias mkdir='nocorrect mkdir'	# don't correct spelling for `mkdir'
alias d='dirs -v'		# display directory stack verbosely
alias duh='du -ch --max-depth=1'  # run `du' with human readable, short output
alias dfh='df -h'		# run `df' with human readable output
				# run `ps' with nice output format
alias p='ps --User pcp --format "pid comm" -H'
				# enable grep color output and print linenumber
alias grep='grep --color=auto -n'
alias yafc='yafc -q'            # shut up yafc
				# some cd shortcuts
alias ...='builtin cd ../..'
alias ....='builtin cd ../../..'
autoload -U cdup
				# for some reason we need to add > /dev/null
				# pushdsilent doesn't seem to work right
cd () {
  if [[ -f $1 ]]; then
    builtin cd $1:h > /dev/null
  else
    builtin cd $1 > /dev/null
  fi
}

# 10.2. ls Aliases {{{2
# ----------------

alias ls='ls --color=auto'
alias a='ls'
alias o='ls -l -h'
alias e='ls -A'
alias u='ls -A -l -h'
i () { command ls -A -l --color=always -b "$@" | ${LISTER:-less} }

# 10.4. Shell Aliases {{{2
# -------------------

				# reload all shell functions (i.e. reread its
				# definition) given as arguments.
freload () {
  while (( $# )); do
    unfunction $1
    autoload -U $1
    shift
  done
}

# 10.5. Miscellaneous Aliases {{{2
# ---------------------------

autoload zcalc

autoload zmv
alias mmv='noglob zmv -W'

# }}}2

# }}}1

# vim: set sts=2 sw=2 ts=8:

* Re: Proprositions for a useful categorization of zsh options?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-04-22  6:29 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2004-04-22  6:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Apr 21, 12:11pm, Thorsten Kampe wrote:
}
} I am trying to categorize the current 141 zsh options for obvious
} reasons.

Not so obvious to me, but ...

Based on some of this thread and my own prejudices, I'd organize them
as follows, with the caveat that nearly everything in the "Shell
Emulations" section also could belong in at least one other section,
and of course practically everything is for "interactive assistance"
but some things really aren't for anything else.  (I suppose you could
break them down into "convenience", "safety", and "accuracy" or some
such, but it didn't seem worth it.)

# Shell State
interactive
login
privileged
restricted
shinstdin
singlecommand

# Initialization and Optimization
allexport
globalexport
globalrcs
hashcmds
hashdirs
pathdirs
rcs

# Shell Emulations
bsdecho
cshjunkiehistory
cshjunkieloops
cshjunkiequotes
cshnullcmd
cshnullglob
globassign
ksharrays
kshautoload
kshglob
kshoptionprint
kshtypeset
posixbuiltins
shfileexpansion
shglob
shnullcmd
shoptionletters
shwordsplit
trapsasync

# Scripting Assistance
cbases
errexit
errreturn
exec
functionargzero
localoptions
localtraps
multios
octalzeroes
typesetsilent
verbose
xtrace

# Interactive Assistance
aliases
autonamedirs
clobber
correct
correctall
dvorak
flowcontrol
ignoreeof
interactivecomments
mailwarning
printeightbit
printexitvalue
rmstarsilent
rmstarwait
shortloops
sunkeyboardhack

# Job Control
autocontinue
autoresume
bgnice
checkjobs
hup
longlistjobs
monitor
notify

# Expansion and Globbing
badpattern
bareglobqual
braceccl
caseglob
equals
extendedglob
glob
globdots
globsubst
ignorebraces
magicequalsubst
markdirs
nomatch
nullglob
numericglobsort
rcexpandparam
rcquotes
unset

# Changing Directories
autocd
autopushd
cdablevars
chasedots
chaselinks
pushdignoredups
pushdminus
pushdsilent
pushdtohome

# History
appendhistory
banghist
extendedhistory
histallowclobber
histbeep
histexpiredupsfirst
histfindnodups
histignorealldups
histignoredups
histignorespace
histnofunctions
histnostore
histreduceblanks
histsavenodups
histverify
incappendhistory
sharehistory

# Prompting
promptbang
promptcr
promptpercent
promptsubst
transientrprompt

# ZLE
beep
emacs
overstrike
singlelinezle
vi
zle

# Completion
alwayslastprompt
alwaystoend
autolist
automenu
autoparamkeys
autoparamslash
autoremoveslash
bashautolist
completealiases
completeinword
globcomplete
hashlistall
listambiguous
listbeep
listpacked
listrowsfirst
listtypes
menucomplete
recexact

* Re: Proprositions for a useful categorization of zsh options?
@ 2004-04-22  7:55         ` Aidan Kehoe
From: Aidan Kehoe @ 2004-04-22  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

 Ar an 21ú lá de mí 4, scríobh DervishD :

 >     Hi Aidan :) Dia dhuit is correct? (I'm afraid I don't know much
 > gaelic?)

¡Hola!, Raul, and yeah, it's correct. I wouldn't worry about learning
Gaelic, though--it's one of the less useful European languages to have :-) .

 >     I was meaning 'things that has to do with dirs'. Obviously, as I
 > told in my last message to Thorsten, it is not a good name O:)

I think Bart's answer did clear up most of the confusion about categories
--having no "miscellaneous" options is a good indication of that, IMHO.

--

@ 2004-04-22 13:29   ` DervishD
From: DervishD @ 2004-04-22 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Schaefer; +Cc: zsh-users

    Hi Bart :)

 * Bart Schaefer <schaefer@brasslantern.com> dixit:
> Based on some of this thread and my own prejudices, I'd organize them
> as follows, with the caveat that nearly everything in the "Shell
> Emulations" section also could belong in at least one other section,
> and of course practically everything is for "interactive assistance"
> but some things really aren't for anything else.  (I suppose you could
> break them down into "convenience", "safety", and "accuracy" or some
> such, but it didn't seem worth it.)
[...]

    Bart, you're a fucking genius (no matter if this message ends up
censored...). I want to give thanks to Thorsten for having the great
idea of classifying the options and to you for such a good
categorization.

    This mailing list really amazes me... And Zsh, obviously, too.
I'm looking for things that cannot be done with Zsh, and I must admit
it doesn't make a good coffee XDDD

    Thanks, I mean it.

@ 2004-04-22 13:32           ` DervishD
From: DervishD @ 2004-04-22 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aidan Kehoe; +Cc: zsh-users

    Hi Aidan :)

 * Aidan Kehoe <kehoea@parhasard.net> dixit:
>  >     Hi Aidan :) Dia dhuit is correct? (I'm afraid I don't know much
>  > gaelic?)
> ¡Hola!, Raul, and yeah, it's correct. I wouldn't worry about learning
> Gaelic, though--it's one of the less useful European languages to have :-)

    But I really like Gaelic, I love the sound, the musicality,
etc. This summer, if I can afford the time, I would like to start
learning gaelic, seriously. Is a really beautiful language. Anyway I
love to learn languages, but I don't have the needed time :( I should
learn Català before... Well, this is OT O:)

>  >     I was meaning 'things that has to do with dirs'. Obviously, as I
>  > told in my last message to Thorsten, it is not a good name O:)
> I think Bart's answer did clear up most of the confusion about categories
> --having no "miscellaneous" options is a good indication of that, IMHO.

    I really like the categories that Bart showed. I've saved the
message for future reference ;)

@ 2004-05-25 14:34             ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2004-05-25 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Did anyone come up with a final list of sections for documenting zsh
options?

pws

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com

* Re: Proprositions for a useful categorization of zsh options?
@ 2004-05-25 16:13               ` Thorsten Kampe
From: Thorsten Kampe @ 2004-05-25 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

* Peter Stephenson (2004-05-25 16:34 +0100)
> Did anyone come up with a final list of sections for documenting zsh
> options?

Yes, me:

## Authors: the zsh-users mailing list
## gratefully compiled by Thorsten 'zsh' Kampe

# CHANGING DIRECTORIES
autocd
cdablevars
chasedots
chaselinks
autopushd
pushdignoredups
pushdminus
pushdsilent
pushdtohome

# COMPLETION
alwayslastprompt
alwaystoend
autolist
automenu
autonamedirs
autoparamkeys
autoparamslash
autoremoveslash
bashautolist
completealiases
completeinword
globcomplete
hashlistall
listambiguous
listbeep
listpacked
listrowsfirst
listtypes
menucomplete
recexact

# EXPANSION AND GLOBBING
badpattern
bareglobqual
braceccl
caseglob
cshnullglob
equals
extendedglob
glob
globassign
globdots
globsubst
ignorebraces
kshglob
magicequalsubst
markdirs
nomatch
nullglob
numericglobsort
rcexpandparam
shglob
unset

# HISTORY
appendhistory
banghist
extendedhistory
histallowclobber
histbeep
histexpiredupsfirst
histfindnodups
histignorealldups
histignoredups
histignorespace
histnofunctions
histnostore
histreduceblanks
histsavenodups
histverify
incappendhistory
sharehistory

# INITIALISATION
allexport
globalexport
globalrcs
rcs

# INPUT/OUTPUT
aliases
clobber
correct
correctall
dvorak
flowcontrol
ignoreeof
interactivecomments
hashcmds
hashdirs
mailwarning
pathdirs
printeightbit
printexitvalue
rcquotes
rmstarsilent
rmstarwait
shortloops
sunkeyboardhack

# JOB CONTROL
autocontinue
autoresume
bgnice
checkjobs
hup
longlistjobs
monitor
notify

# PROMPTING
promptbang
promptcr
promptpercent
promptsubst
transientrprompt

# SCRIPTING
cbases
errexit
errreturn
exec
functionargzero
localoptions
localtraps
multios
octalzeroes
typesetsilent
verbose
xtrace

# SHELL EMULATION
bsdecho
cshjunkiehistory
cshjunkieloops
cshjunkiequotes
cshnullcmd
ksharrays
kshautoload
kshoptionprint
kshtypeset
posixbuiltins
shfileexpansion
shnullcmd
shoptionletters
shwordsplit
trapsasync

# SHELL STATUS
interactive
login
privileged
restricted
shinstdin
singlecommand

# ZLE
beep
emacs
overstrike
singlelinezle
vi
zle

* Re: Proprositions for a useful categorization of zsh options?
@ 2004-05-25 16:52                 ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2004-05-25 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Thorsten Kampe wrote:
> * Peter Stephenson (2004-05-25 16:34 +0100)
> > Did anyone come up with a final list of sections for documenting zsh
> > options?
>
> Yes, me:
>
> ## Authors: the zsh-users mailing list
> ## gratefully compiled by Thorsten 'zsh' Kampe

Thanks, I have committed the new version of the file.

If there are other suggestions (probably on zsh-workers from now on),
please supply patches as needed.

CSR Ltd., Science Park, Milton Road,
Cambridge, CB4 0WH, UK                          Tel: +44 (0)1223 692070

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com