On 2004-07-30 13:50:24 +0200, Andy Spiegl wrote: > As you can see the question doesn't appear at all! AFAIK, this is due to the "read line", that waits for a whole line. When I reimplemented stderr coloring, I fixed that (and other problems too) by writing a small C program "colorize" (attached) instead of zsh code. So, you should do the following: exec 2>>(colorize `tput bold; tput setaf 1` `tput sgr0` > /dev/tty &) for instance, by putting that in your zshrc. But I no longer use it since too many programs use stderr for things other than error or warning messages, and sometimes not in a consistent way. I don't know why, perhaps because developpers think that stderr means tty (in case stdout is redirected); but if they want to write to the tty, they should really do it instead of using stderr. -- Vincent Lefèvre - Web: 100% validated (X)HTML - Acorn / RISC OS / ARM, free software, YP17, Championnat International des Jeux Mathématiques et Logiques, etc. Work: CR INRIA - computer arithmetic / SPACES project at LORIA