zsh-users
* can't complete .. paths with 4.2.3
@ 2005-01-28  2:29 Shawn Halpenny
From: Shawn Halpenny @ 2005-01-28  2:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

With zsh 4.2.3, on AIX, HP-UX and Solaris, if I use the completion
system I can't complete a path that starts with '..' .  It works fine
on Cygwin.

My .compinstall is nothing special.  I stripped out everything but
'autoload -U compinit' and 'compinit -u' and the .. completion still
didn't work.

Has anyone else seen this?  It was working fine for me in 4.2.2.

--
Shawn Halpenny

* Re: can't complete .. paths with 4.2.3
@ 2005-01-28  3:06 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2005-01-28  3:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Jan 27,  9:29pm, Shawn Halpenny wrote:
}
} With zsh 4.2.3, on AIX, HP-UX and Solaris, if I use the completion
} system I can't complete a path that starts with '..' .

Is there any particular context in which you're completing these files?
I can't reproduce this on linux with completion after "ls", but that
doesn't mean it might not happen with some other command.

Have you tried deleting your .zcompdump file?

* Re: can't complete .. paths with 4.2.3
@ 2005-01-28 16:25   ` Shawn Halpenny
From: Shawn Halpenny @ 2005-01-28 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 03:06:46 +0000, Bart Schaefer
<schaefer@brasslantern.com> wrote:
> On Jan 27,  9:29pm, Shawn Halpenny wrote:
> }
> } With zsh 4.2.3, on AIX, HP-UX and Solaris, if I use the completion
> } system I can't complete a path that starts with '..' .
>
> Is there any particular context in which you're completing these files?
> I can't reproduce this on linux with completion after "ls", but that
> doesn't mean it might not happen with some other command.
>
> Have you tried deleting your .zcompdump file?

Yes, with no effect.  The context doesn't seem to make any difference
at all.  I tried completing after 'echo' and 'ls' and 'grep' and if
the path starts with .. no completions are listed.  Furthermore, it
seems if .. is anywhere in the path, no completions are returned.

I tried removing the functions.zwc that contains the precompiled
functions for local/share/zsh/4.2.3/functions but nothing changed.

I tried completing 'echo ../' with trace enabled and noticed that tmp1
after the call to compfiles (line 345 of _path_files) was empty,
whereas on Cygwin, it had the list of files in the parent dir.

(I can post the trace to the list but didn't want to force 439 lines
of junk on anyone.)

* Re: can't complete .. paths with 4.2.3
@ 2005-01-29  4:23   ` Joshua Tinnin
From: Joshua Tinnin @ 2005-01-29  4:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Thursday 27 January 2005 07:06 pm, Bart Schaefer
<schaefer@brasslantern.com> wrote:
> On Jan 27,  9:29pm, Shawn Halpenny wrote:
> }
> } With zsh 4.2.3, on AIX, HP-UX and Solaris, if I use the completion
> } system I can't complete a path that starts with '..' .
>
> Is there any particular context in which you're completing these
> files? I can't reproduce this on linux with completion after "ls",
> but that doesn't mean it might not happen with some other command.
>
> Have you tried deleting your .zcompdump file?

I can't reproduce this on FreeBSD, either. The only time completion
doesn't work for me in this manner is when the path itself is wrong, or
if I'm entering a complex command where the path appears after an
additional command that isn't recognized by zsh, but I haven't tested
this thoroughly.

- jt

* Re: can't complete .. paths with 4.2.3
@ 2005-01-29 18:39     ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2005-01-29 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Jan 28, 11:25am, Shawn Halpenny wrote:
} Subject: Re: can't complete .. paths with 4.2.3
}
} I tried completing 'echo ../' with trace enabled and noticed that tmp1
} after the call to compfiles (line 345 of _path_files) was empty,
} whereas on Cygwin, it had the list of files in the parent dir.

Do you have any zstyles set at all?  Put another way, have you tried
reproducing this with 'zsh -f' (running autoload and compinit by hand)?

The only obvious reason that compfiles would behave that way at that
particular spot is if the "fake-files" style were set to something.

* Re: can't complete .. paths with 4.2.3
@ 2005-01-31 17:32       ` Shawn Halpenny
From: Shawn Halpenny @ 2005-01-31 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 18:39:04 +0000, Bart Schaefer
<schaefer@brasslantern.com> wrote:
> On Jan 28, 11:25am, Shawn Halpenny wrote:
> } Subject: Re: can't complete .. paths with 4.2.3
> }
> } I tried completing 'echo ../' with trace enabled and noticed that tmp1
> } after the call to compfiles (line 345 of _path_files) was empty,
> } whereas on Cygwin, it had the list of files in the parent dir.
>
> Do you have any zstyles set at all?  Put another way, have you tried
> reproducing this with 'zsh -f' (running autoload and compinit by hand)?
>
> The only obvious reason that compfiles would behave that way at that
> particular spot is if the "fake-files" style were set to something.

I have zstyles, but it makes no difference if they are executed or
not.  However, I noticed that running 'zsh -f' and running compinit by
hand made things work again, so the problem must have been in my rc
files.

As it turns out, in my .zshenv I have 'setopt nocaseglob'.  If I
remove that (or 'setopt caseglob' at a prompt), I can complete paths
with .. again.  This behavior must have changed since 4.2.1, since
I've had that option setting for ages.

--

@ 2005-02-01  2:31         ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2005-02-01  2:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Jan 31, 12:32pm, Shawn Halpenny wrote:
}
} As it turns out, in my .zshenv I have 'setopt nocaseglob'.  If I
} remove that (or 'setopt caseglob' at a prompt), I can complete paths
} with .. again.  This behavior must have changed since 4.2.1, since
} I've had that option setting for ages.

There were some changes to the globbing implementation between 4.2.1
and 4.2.3, but none that should have been specifically affected by
nocaseglob.  And I still can't reproduce this on linux.

Anyone else?