zsh-users
* nohup/disown and logout
@ 2005-02-07  4:18 Chris Johnson
From: Chris Johnson @ 2005-02-07  4:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

I've found some posts addressing this question in the archives, but they
don't quite fix my trouble.  My problem: nohup-ing or disowning jobs
still keeps my shell from exiting, even with nohup and nocheckjobs
options set.  Here's the results from setopt:

[cjohnson@namib] ~: setopt
nobeep
nocheckjobs
nohup
interactive
login
monitor
nonomatch
shinstdin
zle

If I run a command like "nohup myprog &|", the job doesn't appear in the
jobs table, as expected, but when I exit the shell, .zlogout is executed
and everything hangs.  No control key combinations seem to do anything.
Killing the nohup'ed process from another shell releases the original
shell and it exits.  I get no message.  I've tried with disown also, but
the same behavior is exhibited.  If it makes any difference, I
experience this problem when logged in remotely to a university machine.
It seems to work all right locally on my own machine.

Any ideas?  Any further information I can provide?  Many thanks!

--
Chris Johnson
cjohnson@cs.utk.edu

* Re: nohup/disown and logout
@ 2005-02-07  8:25 ` Andrei A. Voropaev
From: Andrei A. Voropaev @ 2005-02-07  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Johnson; +Cc: zsh-users

On Sun, Feb 06, 2005 at 11:18:42PM -0500, Chris Johnson wrote:
> I've found some posts addressing this question in the archives, but they
> don't quite fix my trouble.  My problem: nohup-ing or disowning jobs
> still keeps my shell from exiting, even with nohup and nocheckjobs
> options set.  Here's the results from setopt:
>
> [cjohnson@namib] ~: setopt
> nobeep
> nocheckjobs
> nohup
> interactive
> login
> monitor
> nonomatch
> shinstdin
> zle
>
> If I run a command like "nohup myprog &|", the job doesn't appear in the
> jobs table, as expected, but when I exit the shell, .zlogout is executed
> and everything hangs.  No control key combinations seem to do anything.
> Killing the nohup'ed process from another shell releases the original
> shell and it exits.  I get no message.  I've tried with disown also, but
> the same behavior is exhibited.  If it makes any difference, I
> experience this problem when logged in remotely to a university machine.
> It seems to work all right locally on my own machine.
>
> Any ideas?  Any further information I can provide?  Many thanks!

Are you using ssh to login?

* Re: nohup/disown and logout
@ 2005-02-07 14:26   ` Chris Johnson
From: Chris Johnson @ 2005-02-07 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Andrei A. Voropaev sent me the following 1.1K:

> > If I run a command like "nohup myprog &|", the job doesn't appear in the
> > jobs table, as expected, but when I exit the shell, .zlogout is executed
> > and everything hangs.  No control key combinations seem to do anything.
> > Killing the nohup'ed process from another shell releases the original
> > shell and it exits.  I get no message.  I've tried with disown also, but
> > the same behavior is exhibited.  If it makes any difference, I
> > experience this problem when logged in remotely to a university machine.
> > It seems to work all right locally on my own machine.
> >
> > Any ideas?  Any further information I can provide?  Many thanks!
>
> Are you using ssh to login?

I see...  The ssh session hangs because there's still a connection to
std(in|out|err).  If I redirect all these away to /dev/null or
elsewhere, the session closes as expected and the process continues to
run:

    nohup myprog &> /dev/null < /dev/null &!

Thanks for the tipoff!

--
Chris Johnson
cjohnson@cs.utk.edu